Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #61

jeeplj8, so what you're saying is if I tow a fifth wheel, before I cross any state line I should get a commercial Class A license, with tanker and Haz Mat just to be safe....
rlreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #62
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlreed View Post
jeeplj8, so what you're saying is if I tow a fifth wheel, before I cross any state line I should get a commercial Class A license, with tanker and Haz Mat just to be safe....
You mean you don't? Hard to believe the number of scofflaws out there. I have a commercial license for Class A towing in excess of 80,000# in all 50 states and the District of Columbia just to drive my 1500 Silverado and a 28' 5er.

p.s. I really am joking, but this legal beagle stuff is just hilarious and mostly a figment of someone's imagination or a hallucination. No actual case names or no's that can be verified.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #63

They sure have changed the laws a lot. During my 36 years in Law Enforcement I could not issue a citation to someone for violating a law in another state. I'd be interested in some of the case law he is citing....I guess I'll have to upgrade from a Class C to a Class A, but darn it I let my Haz Mat. expire...
Old 10-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #64
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You mean you don't? Hard to believe the number of scofflaws out there. I have a commercial license for Class A towing in excess of 80,000# in all 50 states and the District of Columbia just to drive my 1500 Silverado and a 28' 5er. p.s. I really am joking, but this legal beagle stuff is just hilarious and mostly a figment of someone's imagination or a hallucination. No actual case names or no's that can be verified.
That's rather insulting to Jeep, who spent some time educating us from his experience and sure didn't sound like a hallucination. Maybe just do what we feel comfortable with. That is called risk tolerance, and is something we all do, whether unconscious or conscious.

I valued that thoughtful explanation, and don't want to discourage such discourses by sarcasm.

IMO, o course. Your experiance may vary.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #65
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
That's rather insulting to Jeep, who spent some time educating us from his experience and sure didn't sound like a hallucination. Maybe just do what we feel comfortable with. That is called risk tolerance, and is something we all do, whether unconscious or conscious. I valued that thoughtful explanation, and don't want to discourage such discourses by sarcasm. IMO, o course. Your experiance may vary.
Agreed. I've never understood the need for personal attacks and personal insults (in both directions) when it comes to weight topics that seem so prevalent.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #66

I'm proud of myself for not being involved!!! :-)

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:07 AM   #67

I guess its the way you read my post. I had no intention to personally attack jeepl8 and apologize if it appears that way. I am aware that a lot of the laws have changed, I drive commercially and cannot believe the changes they made here in Florida on the CDLs. Federal law used to require all states to recognize each other's license eliminating the need to apply for a license in each state you traveled, it sounds like that is the direction they are heading While standing in the license bureau last week I looked over the list on the wall outlining all the requirements for Canadians and could not believe the hoops they have to jump thru....
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Agreed. I've never understood the need for personal attacks and personal insults (in both directions) when it comes to weight topics that seem so prevalent.
I think there are a couple of reasons for some of the "person related discussion" in these threads. In this case here I think it is related to persons claiming knowledge and not providing proof. In a case like that the only counter argument is that of the persons credentials. Here on the web, we can all claim to be knowledgeable in an area of expertise and I think if one provides an argument based on this knowledge level, they open themselves up to attack.

The other reason I think we see more personal attacks on these threads is that there are many that provide an argument based on emotion alone. Throwing out "eeks" and scare tactics to try to sway the less informed to make a decision they want them to make. Emotional arguments tend to bring emotional counter arguments. I must admit I have found myself caught up in this as well.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #69
Mod free 5er

No insults were intended, just trying to lighten things up. If I hurt someone's feelings or someone felt it was a personal attack, I sincerely apologize. We tow rv's not commercial which is a totally different animal. As we all know, there are very few regulations concerning rv's. When a person can drive a mini car for 40 yrs and can go buy a 40' motorhome that weights in excess of 30,000# and just drive it off with no experience, it proves there is little to no laws concerning rv's. Just get tired of all the supposedly legal mumbo jumbo, it's unsafe and scare tactics thrown out without some facts.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #70

Ugh, you guys successfully pulling with f150's make me wish I had gone for it instead of settling for the 24! Oh well, still like the smaller one and it should serve me well for a few years.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #71
Denver, CO

I just thought that Jeeplj8 post was the most factual discussion on the illegality/liability subject and just by the logic of the material was a cut above the usual emotion based no facts posts we see. Didn't want to discourage this type.

I have a friend that makes his living (including a VERY nice class A rig) providing expert testimony in construction zone accidents and know from talking with him how complex the language is around these issues. The points that Jeep makes about the difference between legal and illegal AND liability was refreshing AND didn't really state any opinion on what anyone should or shouldn't do...

Nuff said and thanks for all the posts, I don't think any harm was done and it was I bit funny to.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #72

I just bought a 2014 29HFS and pull it with a 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L 3.55. Now don't get me wrong, would I prefer something more powerful, yes. But, it does the job and I feel safe pulling it.

I pulled it home last week from Detroit to Indianapolis. Got 8 mpg! Glad I won't be pulling that far normally.
STLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #73

I had a F-150 4x4 extended cab with the 4.6 L, the Hyperlight XLR was too heavy, for my truck, My dealer wouldn't ever talk to me with this truck, Sorry, I now own a Chevy 2500 HD with 6.0L.
rebel29144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel29144 View Post
I had a F-150 4x4 extended cab with the 4.6 L, the Hyperlight XLR was too heavy, for my truck, My dealer wouldn't ever talk to me with this truck, Sorry, I now own a Chevy 2500 HD with 6.0L.

Why not?

Did you tell them the f150 was the tow truck?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #75

I was pulling a Roo 21ssl , before this, My Ford pulled it Ok, a little rough on hills, but it did the job., when I looked at the XLR, my dealer said there was just too much weight for this truck,
I loved my Ford, but I switched to a Chevy 2500HD , I feel a lot safer, specially with 2 Kawasaki 650 's in the back
Old 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #76

I plan to go the same route in a few years. Upgrade to the 2500 and move from the 24HFS to the 27. It is not just the length but the slider I am sure adds quite a bit over the 24 as well.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
I plan to go the same route in a few years. Upgrade to the 2500 and move from the 24HFS to the 27. It is not just the length but the slider I am sure adds quite a bit over the 24 as well.
The Slide makes all the difference, The extra room it makes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Why not?

Did you tell them the f150 was the tow truck?

I told them I had a F150 4.6L 4 x 4 , That's about time they said they couldn't sell it to me