Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #1

Question HELP...Can my F-150 pull the 27HFS - XLR Hyper Lite

Here's the original window sticker, your help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130915_195247.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	39783  
Jesse in Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

If you have already purchased truck, consult owners manual. I am sure someone else ( weight police) will chime in .

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Professional Curmudgeon

Doesn't look like it to me.

Your maximum GCWR is 5216 pounds.
Maximum trailer weight is 5800 pounds.

If your vehicle is not equipped with a heavy-duty trailer towing package, the maximum weight your vehicle can tow is limited to 5000 pounds.

Dry weight of the trailer is 5578 pounds.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #4

Also check tongue weight. My 27hfs when dry is pushing 800+
itstime2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

I've had several 4.6L's, and I wouldn't want to pull that camper with one. Those weight ratings don't take into account frontal area. What makes a camper hard to pull is the fact that you have ~64 Sq. ft. of frontal area you are dragging that is catching wind. IMHO, that 4.6 will struggle with a camper that's weights are far under it's rating towing capability. I have an Expedition with 4.6 that I used to pull a 23' camper that weighed 4400lbs home with. Flat ground to slow rolling hills- nothing steep at all- and it was a fight the whole way. Didn't think it was ever going to make it. Dropping to 2nd gear and revving like crazy just to maintain 55 on a slight incline. I would recommend upgrading to something with a 5.4L if you stay in that year range of 1/2 ton truck- it is night and day compared to the 4.6.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

I have a 4.6L F-150 that I use to pull my 20' bass boat and the 4.6L handles the boat just fine. I used the 4.6L to move the camper a short distance (like 5 miles) one time and it struggled. I am towing my 27HFS with a 5.4L expedition which it does Ok but an F-250 with a 6.0 diesel would be more than enough. I would not attempt to pull the camper with a 4.6L at all. By the time you get your camper loaded down with stuff, you would have a hard time taking off from stop lights or even handling any hills. I feel that you would be asking way too much from a 4.6L with this camper.

When my camper came from the factory, the dry weight (unloaded) was at 6600lbs. I think you would be over the spec for that truck.
Martins5547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Doesn't look like it to me.

Your maximum GCWR is 5216 pounds.
Maximum trailer weight is 5800 pounds.

If your vehicle is not equipped with a heavy-duty trailer towing package, the maximum weight your vehicle can tow is limited to 5000 pounds.

Dry weight of the trailer is 5578 pounds.

This is incorrect. I only seen a GVWR which is for the truck itself of 6,800LBS.

To answer the question truthfully and accurately when need a picture of your door sticker or if you can tell us what your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and your GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is before we can go too much farther. It would also be hugely helpful for a weight of your truck full of fuel and you in the cab.

Subtracting your truck weight from the GVWR will give you the "payload" (additional weight/tongue weight will be part of this) you are allowed in addition before going over the manufactures listed rating.

subtracting your truck weight from the GCWR will give you the maximum the trailer can weigh. But remember to factor in toys, gear, people, pets, food and supplies...

If you can get us the GVWR, GCWR and a truck weight that would be great and we can help you...

Until that information is obtained here any other replies are really not even valid due to not having all the needed information... IMO...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
This is incorrect. I only seen a GVWR which is for the truck itself of 6,800LBS.

To answer the question truthfully and accurately when need a picture of your door sticker or if you can tell us what your GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) and your GCWR (gross combined weight rating) is before we can go too much farther. It would also be hugely helpful for a weight of your truck full of fuel and you in the cab.

Subtracting your truck weight from the GVWR will give you the "payload" (additional weight/tongue weight will be part of this) you are allowed in addition before going over the manufactures listed rating.

subtracting your truck weight from the GCWR will give you the maximum the trailer can weigh. But remember to factor in toys, gear, people, pets, food and supplies...

If you can get us the GVWR, GCWR and a truck weight that would be great and we can help you...

Until that information is obtained here any other replies are really not even valid due to not having all the needed information... IMO...

I don't care where the numbers come in. GVWR, GCWR and truck weight are not the only important factors when towing like some make them out to be. A 4.6L is going to struggle with a travel trailer, especially if he plans to travel in any areas that aren't FLAT. Once again, the load ratings don't take into account the type of load. He could take a flat bed loaded with steel plates at 6K and have no trouble, but a camper at 4K is going to really stress his drivetrain. I know there are many here that pull light campers with a 4.6L. But, IMHO, it is a lot to ask of a 4.6 to pull a full size travel trailer. I would probably recommend stepping up to a larger V8 for anyone besides those doing occasional, local camping in relatively flat areas. And even then I'd recommend getting something less than 23' and 4K or so. This is just one country boy's opinion after having grown up seeing or personally towing all different types of trailers and loads, so take it for what it's worth.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:

X2
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #10

I have the ecoboost with towing package which has a higher tow rating but I was still not comfortable stepping into the 27. I backed down to the 24 which weighs 1000 pounds less and 300 pounds lighter tongue weight. I can tell you I would not have been comfortable towing more. It pulls it fine but I definitely feel it.
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:

Your opinion is incorrect.
These numbers come straight from Ford. Lacking any other information than that provided, these represent the most correct information that support my position that this truck is not rated to pull that camper.
Doesn't matter what formulae you use, that truck will be overloaded with that camper.
Dry weight of the camper exceeds his maximum tow weight. That's honest and it's accurate. No need to
Old 09-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #12

As I said earlier, all I see in the window sticker is the GVWR which is only part of the equation to find the payload of the truck. We need to know the actual current weight of the truck to find out what it has left available.

I do not see anywhere on that sheet a GCWR and without this or the vehicle weight we do not know what the overall weight the camper can weigh.

So I will stick by my answer of saying there truly isn't enough information here to fully determine.

My instinct would be the same as yours saying that it probably will be over loaded but I cannot commit to that answer as all the pieces haven't been laid on the table as of yet...

I am here trying to give the OP everything he needs to know, not just my assumption of he will be overloaded as you seem to be.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
As I said earlier, all I see in the window sticker is the GVWR which is only part of the equation to find the payload of the truck. We need to know the actual current weight of the truck to find out what it has left available.

I do not see anywhere on that sheet a GCWR and without this or the vehicle weight we do not know what the overall weight the camper can weigh.

So I will stick by my answer of saying there truly isn't enough information here to fully determine.

My instinct would be the same as yours saying that it probably will be over loaded but I cannot commit to that answer as all the pieces haven't been laid on the table as of yet...

I am here trying to give the OP everything he needs to know, not just my assumption of he will be overloaded as you seem to be.
I only relied on the window sticker to give me enough information to look his truck up in Ford's loading charts. Then look the camper up to find the advertised dry weight.
My assumption is that Ford, the manufacturer of the vehicle in question, knows what their vehicles are capable of towing.

Do you really see any way possible for a 1/2 ton truck that does not have the heavy-duty tow package installed with the smallest engine offered to pull that camper?
Keep in mind his maximum tow weight is 5000 lbs and the dry weight of the camper is 5578 lbs.

BTW, let's not forget the input of those folks who have answered the question based on their practical experiences.
You won't see that listed on any window sticker either.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #14

Your searches does make sense! I'm not questioning your credibility, but I personally would prefer to see the door sticker as I have seen a number of Ford flyers that vary from one to another. So to me it would be more appropriate to see the door sticker...

But, on the other hand, if you what you found is true, shame on Ford for making a half ton in that format! What the heck were they thinking? 5,000lbs of towing capabilities?

I would agree, just seeing F150 had me concerned about the ability to pull this trailer knowing what it is... But, you can't be too sure until one sees the placards on the door... I am dang impressed with some of the eco boost ratings... I don't see that being possible or it being able to last very long but I have been wrong more than once or twice...

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
Professional Curmudgeon

Here's the funniest thing of all -
Jesse_in_Dallas posted this single question, and hasn't been back since!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #16

Don't know what state you are in, but something else to consider is your driver's license restrictions. After 5 years, I just renewed my DL. Once I received the new license, I notice there was new restriction listed on it. I am not allowed to tow anything over 10K lbs. It's a new regulation for a "class c" Nevada DL. New on my license anyways, and it was not on my old one. Did not effect me much, (9500 loaded) but I have some friends who were stuck with some heavier trailers, and could not legally pull them. What they had to do was up grade their licenses, at a higher fee(s), to tow their plus 10K lb, heavier TTs. Not sure, but I think they had to get CDLs.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Here's the funniest thing of all -
Jesse_in_Dallas posted this single question, and hasn't been back since!
doesn't mean he hasn't been back, he could just be reading the arguments looking for one that says he can!
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #18

4.6L engine 3.55 gears 18" wheels (probably P rated tires) I don't think you will enjoy this towing experience. That trailer is going to be every bit of 6500 lbs once all set up and going.

And
Quote:
But, on the other hand, if you what you found is true, shame on Ford for making a half ton in that format! What the heck were they thinking? 5,000lbs of towing capabilities?
Not everyone buys a 1/2 ton to tow a camper with. Some just like to drive trucks as a daily driver. Or occasional pull a small trailer around with a mower or whatever a homeowner may need a truck for.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
doesn't mean he hasn't been back, he could just be reading the arguments looking for one that says he can!
Last Activity: 09-15-2013 10:52 PM
Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post
4.6L engine 3.55 gears 18" wheels (probably P rated tires) I don't think you will enjoy this towing experience. That trailer is going to be every bit of 6500 lbs once all set up and going.

And

Not everyone buys a 1/2 ton to tow a camper with. Some just like to drive trucks as a daily driver. Or occasional pull a small trailer around with a mower or whatever a homeowner may need a truck for.

Not to start a fight with you but your post scares me. "Occasionally pull a trailer or camper" is what scares me. These are the people that are getting into trouble cause the vehicle is overloaded beyond GVW or CGVW or stickers or whatever you want to argue with. The tires are beyond limits, the tranny, engine, brakes, suspension, etc...

Putting you, your partner or passenger at risk and anyone around you. Including the innocent passer-by, It would seem that we all take chances with various things in our life and maybe it's a thrill or being thrifty or what ever your excuse is.

Buy a truck that will handle the job and your R.V. Researching your R.V. should include using your current vehicle if applicable.

Being a truck driver for a living this subject scares me every time it comes up, so call me over reactive or whatever. I see R.V.'s all the time broke down because the tow unit couldn't handle it. Just an F.Y.I. for those up here in Canada and in B.C. more specific D.O.T. is starting the crack down on RV'ers. They are going to be looking more and more at those larger 5'ers and trailers or units that look over loaded. Our local drivers license issuing facility already has endorsements for units over a certain weight (yes rv'ers too..!!).

I was also at a local dealership looking at newer trucks and the salesman stated that D.O.T. has suggested to the dealership to tell people towing 5ers use 1/4 of the trailer G.V.W. as pin weight/loaded weight. That is 3750lbs to my truck......that is all of a 3500 truck not including fuel, occupants, etc..... Do you see the writing on the wall yet..?!

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote