Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #11

There's a place in Laurinburg that's a nice park. Outback MX park. Camping is very basic, but had water and 30 amp service. Great trails, tracks, mud pits, water holes and so on. 800 acres and 90 miles of trails. The Pisgah has lot of trails. Head easy and the Croatan area has some nice trails too.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #12

I found National Forest road & trail maps on line at fs.usda.gov. They are listed by state then National Forest within each state. Both PDF downloadable and On line purchase versions. They even have a list of closed roads, and other warnings and alerts (like bears in the area). So many back roads, so little time.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by whr2nxt View Post
I found National Forest road & trail maps on line at fs.usda.gov. They are listed by state then National Forest within each state. Both PDF downloadable and On line purchase versions. They even have a list of closed roads, and other warnings and alerts (like bears in the area). So many back roads, so little time.
Thanks, I'm definitely going to check out those maps! Hot Springs was our first trip with the dual sports; the other trips have been to the track with the sport bikes. Laurinburg is only about 40 minutes from us. Right off of 15-501 between Aberdeen & Laurinburg is a great Gamelands area next to Camp McCall. Lots of great trails, roads, and water-crossings through there. There's a sign for RV camping almost right down and across the road from it, but I've never been so have no idea what it's like. If you're ever in this area, let me know and we can show you some trails!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:01 PM   #14

Here is a map of the road over Paint Mountain...

and I think that this is your waterfall.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
Here is a map of the road over Paint Mountain...

and I think that this is your waterfall.
Thanks Andy!!! We only explored Lower Paint Creek and a dirt road off of it - next time we'll check out the upper road! That is one of the beautiful waterfalls we stopped and admired. I'll try to find and post a picture of the other waterfall that has the swimming hole. It's much smaller and calmer than this beautiful one.

Tags
camping