Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 11:01 PM   #1

How does the XLR hold up on bumpy/dirt roads?

I'm very close to purchasing my first toy hauler, a XLR Boost 20CB -been tenting it up til now ha- with these things being so expensive I'm super nervous about pulling the trigger and getting the wrong one.

How well do these tend to do on bumpy terrain? I would say once or twice a year I head down some pretty long dirt roads on the AZ strip. Nothing too crazy, I even took my Honda Odyssey mini van once, but the roads are bumpy for about 4 hours each way.

How well do you think a XLR Boost CB would hold up under these conditions?

Right now I've narrowed my choice down to a XLR Boost 20CB, livin light VRV or Quicksilver. Livin Light is so expensive and not as well as equipped but by their videos seems more durable... but I'm really leaning towards the XLR Boost 20CB if it can stand up to a little punishment on some mild dirt roads.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #2

Can anyone speak to the durability of these trailers?
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

I can't speak for an XLR personally, but if it's a bumpy ride for that long, I wouldn't expect a huge life expectancy. These units vibrate apart going down a smooth interstate, especially over time.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
Crookedread

I agree. I went down a couple of roads this summer when loaded and there was evidence of things moving around enough to displace some moldings. That was moving at a snail's pace!! Unloaded is not as hard on them but there is still a lot of flex at the back door. Your choice but definitely agree that your trailer will not last as long. By the way, I'm hauling a 650 Honda Rincon and a Can Am 800 in a FR Stealth 2312 if that helps any.

Crookedread
2016 Duramax
2011 Stealth 2312
crookedread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Haul my Puma down graded fire roads quite regularly. Only issue I have had is the wood paneling tends to pull away from the studs where it was just stapled. Every time I find an area like this, I am laying a bead of liquid nails down and re-stapling the panels. I haven't had to re-do one yet. Other than that no issues for us. My FW is tall, I do have to watch branches closely.

Yes, these things are not super solidly built. But, I bought it to use it and we enjoy riding motorcycles just about as far into the NF as we can get. I'm pretty handy and feel that I can fix just about anything. The extra wear and tear is definitely worth it to camp where there's not another person for miles.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #6

Its not going to like unimproved roads.As others have said,be prepared to restaple,glue,rescrew,and pay very close attention to chassis components such as springs and axels.I would definitly plate or otherwise reinforce all spring and shackel attachment points,as well as the holding and fw tank attachments.There have been a few tanks fall out just going down paved roads.I am not trying to talk you out of anything,its just what it is in 2016!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
I'm very close to purchasing my first toy hauler, a XLR Boost 20CB -been tenting it up til now ha- with these things being so expensive I'm super nervous about pulling the trigger and getting the wrong one.

How well do these tend to do on bumpy terrain? I would say once or twice a year I head down some pretty long dirt roads on the AZ strip. Nothing too crazy, I even took my Honda Odyssey mini van once, but the roads are bumpy for about 4 hours each way.

How well do you think a XLR Boost CB would hold up under these conditions?

Right now I've narrowed my choice down to a XLR Boost 20CB, livin light VRV or Quicksilver. Livin Light is so expensive and not as well as equipped but by their videos seems more durable... but I'm really leaning towards the XLR Boost 20CB if it can stand up to a little punishment on some mild dirt roads.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Not to take this off topic.. but where on the arizona strip? Are you talking by the Gold Butte/Whitney's pocket area?
b370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #8

I have a 44' Elevation toy hauler that we take into the back country and have had a few issues along the way. Our greatest problem is high centering our front dump valves and generator exhaust pipe, and our spare tire carrier which is mounted under the garage. These rigs are so long that a small hump in the road becomes a mountain. I added a skid frame under the spare tire so it won't come loose and drag off, and I added a couple cross frame supports under the plastic under belly so it doesn't hang down so far. Do a good inspection before you get back on the highway and have fun.
Let's face it, some of these interstate highways and bridges aren't exactly smooth.
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerD View Post
Let's face it, some of these interstate highways and bridges aren't exactly smooth.
Exactly my thinking also. Running 65 mph on the highways of NM and OK is much rougher then 5 mph down the dirt roads in my opinion. Those concrete expansion joints at high speed HAVE TO cause more flex that the slow dirt roads.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Exactly my thinking also. Running 65 mph on the highways of NM and OK is much rougher then 5 mph down the dirt roads in my opinion. Those concrete expansion joints at high speed HAVE TO cause more flex that the slow dirt roads.
Correct....and that's why I warned the OP. He stated the drive would be for 4 Hours on bumpy roads. I never take my camper off of paved roads except in a campground, and I have to fix things....a bumpy back road for 4 hours each way? May as well tumble rocks in your clothes dryer and see how that works out....

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

Each trip with your camping trailer is like your home being in an earthquake. If it is raining while you travel, make that an earthquake and a hurricane.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #12

My 29 has held up well on rough roads, our paved roads are not much better (as you know) but on back roads at least you can take it slow. The drive you mentioned is a lot of rough road. If quality is desired and price secondary, Northwood makes a TH called Desert Fox that might take it. Its chassis is rated "off road" and it has a very high cargo capacity not to mention it is true 4 season. The 21SW is something I could live with.... check it out.

Northwood | Desert Fox 21SW

On I-65 S to I-85 N through Montgomery Al, I experienced the roughest road of my life. The bouncing rubbed through a strap and the bike fell over; other than that, the structure ... even moldings, etc. did well. I did install EZ flex before the trip and maybe that helped some. If you add these, PM me I have a tip for you.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_suspension

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xlr