Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #1

How long should it take?

My wife and I bought a new 5th wheel XLR Viper and the dealer had some items to take care of. Minor items I might add, trim board, radio and slid adjustment and we are still waiting 4 weeks later going into our fifth to pick up our camper. It’s been 7 years since we had our last camper and my question is how long it should take. Also who is responsible for doing the PDI, the manufacture or the dealer? I will not say the dealers name at this time but I am really feed up with the run around. Any input on what to do?
Firepup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #2

Was the XLR already at the dealer or did you order it from Forest River?

If the XLR was at the dealer, you should be getting a quick turnaround on changes. It would depend if the items to add were in the dealer's parts inventory or if they had to order them. I would defiantly think 4 weeks would be ample time.

A special order trailer from Forest River should arrive 8 to 12 weeks after the order is placed by the dealer. If this was the case, ask the dealer for a copy of the purchase order. This will let you see when the dealer actually ordered the unit and ensure all options were included.

The dealer is responsible for the PDI. There is an excellent PDI checklist on-line that can be used to ensure all items are reviewed and checked. The quality of the PDI will vary by dealer. My wife and I spent 6 hours completing our PDI when we picked up our unit. We then camped for 2 nights nearby to try all the systems. A return visit to the dealer took care of a few issues.

Clearly communicate your expectations to the dealer and ask for their commitments on delivery time, PDI, and options. Hold them to their commitments.

Good luck and enjoy your new trailer!
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #3

It was at the dealer. I did find the PDI check list which was very helpful and we did spend about 4 hrs. there. I had to buy the propane to run the furnace and gas for the generator. I was told that it should not take more than a week and here we are still waiting. They blamed it on change of personnel. I did tell the person that took over service and warranty department and that I was not directly upset with them but I was very upset with the dealership but I keep a professional tone doing it. I did call Forest River and talked to them starting into the third week and the next day I received an email that the part was being shipped. Even paid for a thirty day tag that is no longer valid. The rep at Forest River said it’s the responsibility for the dealer to do the PDI but was told by the dealership that the factory does the PDI. I feel like I am getting the run around and the dealer is just interested in selling units and get them off their lot. My mistake was completing all the paper work for the loan. Kind of screwed myself on that one, lesson learned. Don’t pay for it till it’s ready and complete.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

We all learn everyday. Never sign anything or pay until the final minute.

Obviously this dealer has some problems. Your next step is to tell them you changed your mind and you no longer want the trailer. That should be an incentive to finish the needed work. The owners of the dealership needs to understand THEIR problems are not their customers problems. You might as well start looking for someone else for service.

Let us know how it all turns out.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #5

Anything that I bought that had to have a PDI was always the responsibility of the dealer.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #6

I think this would be a good time to share the dealers name with everyone on these FR forums, so no one else has to go through what you've having to go through. Your unit should NOT take that long for the few minor items you described. If I were you, I'd go pick it up and find another dealer to provide service. As for having to pay for the propane and gasoline to test, I find that totally ridiculous. Both of our 30-lb propane tanks were filled by the dealer, at their expense, when we picked up our unit. (We don't have a toy hauler). And I'd also make another call to Forest River to tell them how dissatisfied you are with one of their dealers. I just e-mailed FR yesterday aobut some couch cushions I've been waiting on since May and they replied to my e-mail in less than an hour. Plus FR is shipping a new light fixture to me for one that is defective. There is no way I would put up with this "customer no-service." I hope your experience improves significantly.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #7

I called yesterday to Forest River advised them of my problem. They said the would check into it and call me back today. I recived a call from FR and was advised that the part would be there by this afternoon. Around 5 pm I recived a call from the dealer and said all problems would be fixed by tomorrow and I can come and pick it up. Well see saturday if all items are corrected and hopefully I can breing it home. But they got a ear full from me and all I want to do is get it home. Wish me luck and thanks to all for your imput. I will ask about the refund for the fuel and propane. I will update all when I get it .
Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Del

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I think this would be a good time to share the dealers name with everyone on these FR forums, so no one else has to go through what you've having to go through. Your unit should NOT take that long for the few minor items you described. If I were you, I'd go pick it up and find another dealer to provide service. As for having to pay for the propane and gasoline to test, I find that totally ridiculous. Both of our 30-lb propane tanks were filled by the dealer, at their expense, when we picked up our unit. (We don't have a toy hauler). And I'd also make another call to Forest River to tell them how dissatisfied you are with one of their dealers. I just e-mailed FR yesterday aobut some couch cushions I've been waiting on since May and they replied to my e-mail in less than an hour. Plus FR is shipping a new light fixture to me for one that is defective. There is no way I would put up with this "customer no-service." I hope your experience improves significantly.
What e-mail address did you use? I've been waiting nine weeks since we scheduled to have work done by the manufacture and it still sits at the dealer.
Technical Scuba Diving and Photography
15 years ex-military, Still enjoy the outdoors but not sleeping on the ground.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del

What e-mail address did you use? I've been waiting nine weeks since we scheduled to have work done by the manufacture and it still sits at the dealer.
I'm working from my iPad right now and I cannot find the thread i found with the contact info. I'll respond on the 5th.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Hi Del - Here is the contact info I used:

Doug Fought
Warranty Manager
Flagstaff/Rockwood Divs of Forest River
574-642-5165 Phone
574-343-5902 Fax
dfought@forestriverinc.com

Hope this works for you!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator

Hi Del - Here is the contact info I used:

Doug Fought
Warranty Manager
Flagstaff/Rockwood Divs of Forest River
574-642-5165 Phone
574-343-5902 Fax
dfought@forestriverinc.com

Hope this works for you!
The XLR contact I believe is

Diane Daly
574-975-0292
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Del

I contacted SabreSam on here. Well, I thought it helped…. But I’m still waiting.
Technical Scuba Diving and Photography
15 years ex-military, Still enjoy the outdoors but not sleeping on the ground.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote