Old 07-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Question How to fill water heater/bypass questions

I have a FR toy hauler with a 2way water heater, gas and elec. (found the switch just inside the outer wh. door) How do I fill it??? I've found 3 drain lines, one is near the front left tandem wheel. The other 2 are way up front, right next to each other, on the left side. I know how to fill the fresh water tank, but where is the "by-pass" for the hw tank, or how does it fill when I fill the fresh water tank?
Very confused tenter...up 'till now !!
witchbiker

witchbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

Water Heater bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbiker View Post
I have a FR toy hauler with a 2way water heater, gas and elec. (found the switch just inside the outer wh. door) How do I fill it??? I've found 3 drain lines, one is near the front left tandem wheel. The other 2 are way up front, right next to each other, on the left side. I know how to fill the fresh water tank, but where is the "by-pass" for the hw tank, or how does it fill when I fill the fresh water tank?
witchbiker
The bypass valves are on the other end of the water heater. Look at where it is on the outside of the trailer and figure out where the other end is, inside. It may be behind a cabinet, drawer, or screw-on panel. You will see the circular end of the cylindrical tank. There may be one, two, or three valves, depending on how they happened to plumb it.

Take a photograph. This is the bypass setting.

Change all valves to their opposite setting. Take another photograph. This is the operational setting.

Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
witchbiker

Don't know what model number you have but my hot water heater valves are behind a screwed on panel under the stove.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

When you fill the FW tank, the first time you turn on the 12v pump for water, the first thing it's going to do is pump 6 gals of water into the WH, then the water will go to the rest of the Hot and Cold lines.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:32 PM   #5

I hook up to the city water connection first.... Open a hot spiggot and cold until water flows . fills the system including HW tank. then fill the fresh afterwards if needed. Maximizes the amount or water you can load.

Otherwise, fill fresh tanks, open a hot water spiggot (turn pump ON) It will fill from fresh tank after a few minutes.

Dont turn on heater befor your certain HW tank is full!

Two drains together are likely low point and the third is likely drain for fresh water tank.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
When you fill the FW tank, the first time you turn on the 12v pump for water, the first thing it's going to do is pump 6 gals of water into the WH, then the water will go to the rest of the Hot and Cold lines.
...if...the bypass is not set to isolate the heater. Best they check first. If the heater is empty and it has an electric element...it HAD an electric element.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #7

A good tip is, normally, the valves are open when they are turned parallel with the lines, closed/bypass when perpendicular to the lines. Ask me how I know. :/
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
A good tip is, normally, the valves are open when they are turned parallel with the lines, closed/bypass when perpendicular to the lines. Ask me how I know. :/
That is a good tip on some models but alas, all models are not the same.

Some have one way valves where the handles do show flow orientation but other models have 2 way valves and can be a bit more confusing. Some models have built in check valves with no handles.

It is important to understand what system YOU have.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:19 PM   #9

The OP did not say what year his toy hauler is. It is possible that it is new enough that it has by-pass valves for the water heater in the wet pay where the water line hooks up.

Witchbiker, what year is your toy hauler, and is your fresh water connection - where the hose goes into the trailer - inside a compartment?
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
The OP did not say what year his toy hauler is. It is possible that it is new enough that it has by-pass valves for the water heater in the wet pay where the water line hooks up.

Witchbiker, what year is your toy hauler, and is your fresh water connection - where the hose goes into the trailer - inside a compartment?
If you looked at the OP's profile, you'd see it's a 2017 XLR Hyperlite.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #11

How to fill water heater/bypass questions

Capt. Mike,
Yes, the inlet for all three water lines go into a driver side compartment under the main bed, next to my hot water tank. The bottom inlet is the black hose for the black tank "flush". It goes all the way to the sink area, then down to a tank under the floor by the sink. The middle inlet is the white hose for camp/city water. The top inlet is a blue hose going into the same compartment that looks like it goes into the fresh water tank.
The driver's side compartment under the bed is a real spaghetti mess of lines and wires. The pump is also there. There is also a short white hose that has a plug on the end that appears to be a drain plug? Very confusing set-up.

All through the compartment there are blue, red, and white hose lines (cold/hot/fresh I assume) and the white hose looks like it is a direct line to red and blue to go to faucets and toilet, with one blue hose going into the bottom of the WH(cold), and a red hose coming out the top of the WH(hot).
witchbiker
Old 07-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #12

How to fill water heater/bypass questions

Rockfordroo, 5Picker,

I haven't taken any pics yet, but I plan to today, Sunday, 7/21/'19. I'm hoping to be able to get some good angles of the piping so that someone can explain to me why it looks like the black water tank goes from the bathroom (pass. side 2/3 fwd.), all the way back to a spot (tank) under the floor where the black "Flush" hose goes from the underside of the kitchen sink (zip tied) down to what I'm assuming is the black water p**p tank.
The only other explanation is that the large drain line from the bathroom toilet is draining into a large plastic line running back to the same tank under the kitchen floor. So where is the "Gray" water tank??
Still very confusing. I'd go to my nearest RV repair shop only about 5 miles south, but they get $110/hr. to work on RV's.
Thanks everyone,
witchbiker
Old 07-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #13

How to fill the water tank cont.

Rockfordroo and 5picker, et.al.
I'm going to try to send some pics of the area under my main bed, at the front of my 2017, 18HFS toy hauler. I was a little surprised at the hodge-podge way they put in the wiring and hoses.

The gray box to the right is the outside storage area. The white box kind of in the middle is the water heater, I believe.

For me, it's almost impossible to figure out which hose goes where, other than the inlets, where the top to bottom lines are 'Fresh' water(blue hose), 'City'(campground)water(white hose), and 'Flush-out'(black tank water) (black hose).
witchbiker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	210826   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	386.5 KB
ID:	210827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	438.5 KB
ID:	210828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1029.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	210829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	210830  

Old 07-25-2019, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Rockfordroo and 5picker, et.al.
I'm going to try to send some pics of the area under my main bed, at the front of my 2017, 18HFS toy hauler. I was a little surprised at the hodge-podge way they put in the wiring and hoses.

The gray box to the right is the outside storage area. The white box kind of in the middle is the water heater, I believe.

For me, it's almost impossible to figure out which hose goes where, other than the inlets, where the top to bottom lines are 'Fresh' water(blue hose), 'City'(campground)water(white hose), and 'Flush-out'(black tank water) (black hose).
witchbiker
OK

Looking at your 4th pic, your WH is plumbed as in Option 2a in the PDF I posted in Post #14. In normal operation, you want the handle of the 2-way valve (the top one on the red PEX line) to be in line with the PEX. You want the 3-way valve (the one on the blue PEX lines) to have the handle in line with the blue line that runs into the bottom of the WH. To bypass the WH, move the 3-way valves handle in line with the vertical blue PEX line and move the 2-way valve perpendicular to the red PEX lines.

So to fill it, put the two valves in the normal position I describe above. Either run your water pump to pump from the fresh water tank or use a hose from the campground or your house attached to the city water connection. With pressure applied (hose turned on or water pump turned on) either open a hot water faucet until you get water and no air, and/or lift the temperature/pressure valve on the outside of the water heater until you get water.

Also in pic #4 is a white 3-way valve. This valve controls the suction of your water pump, either from the fresh water tank or from the winterization (anti-freeze) connection. Looking at pic #5, it appears to be in an odd position. Normally the valve handle would point to the white hose coming in from the right or the white hose coming up from the bottom. One of these white hoses should go to the winterization (anti-freeze) connection and one should go to the freshwater tank.)

Itís bit hard to tell, but I believe that the top blue PEX line coming out of the wall is your city water connection. I believe the middle white line is your winterization (anti-freeze) connection, and the bottom black line is most likely your black tank flush. (A pic of the outside of these 3 lines would confirm.)

With respect to the drain lines youíve found, Iím betting the two together are red and blue. These would be your low point drains. Iím guessing the 3rd one is either your freshwater tank drain OR your freshwater tank overflow.

I'm going to attach a "generic" RV plumbing pic that may also help you. Page 2 of the pic is what I posted in Post 14.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (130.8 KB, 7 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 PM   #15

What he said

What he said ^^^^ there covers it pretty well. I can download the photos, annotate them, and repost if it's not clear.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote