Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Can't imagine what they added to give a 310 lbs difference , no gen , it does have the fuel station , the rear bed , but most seems to be pretty standard , I know i can pick up a generator for half as much as the dealer wanted , it is all wired for it with the inside controls and wiring and fuel lines to the gen compartment .guess I'll shoot them of an email . i've been needing to get some specs off of it anyways . like the thickness of the a-frame for hitch , height of the coupler , etc so i can be partly ready when i go pick it up .
__________________

__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
This seems to be the latest info from FR. First I've seen of the other models.

XLR Hyperlite Toy Haulers by Forest River RV
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
That link shows the specs for the to 30hds . i have the 29hfs xlr which i posted the specs for , it's just different from the dealer and can't see anything the dealer added to change weight . not liter tongue and less load . makes no since
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
That link shows the specs for the to 30hds . i have the 29hfs xlr which i posted the specs for , it's just different from the dealer and can't see anything the dealer added to change weight . not liter tongue and less load . makes no since
Right you are, I posted the wrong link. Like I mentioned previously, late 2014 specs on FR brochures... which stayed same for early 2015 units showed what said your dealer now shows. The current spec from FR says just what you wrote. I would think the people building it would know the "estimated" weight; like I said the actual scale weights are what is important. There is a FR employee on this forum, that might be willing to shed some light on this.
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Right you are, I posted the wrong link. Like I mentioned previously, late 2014 specs on FR brochures... which stayed same for early 2015 units showed what said your dealer now shows. The current spec from FR says just what you wrote. I would think the people building it would know the "estimated" weight; like I said the actual scale weights are what is important. There is a FR employee on this forum, that might be willing to shed some light on this.

I am just wondering . don't want a unit tat has cheaper axles , just do they save a buck and cost me down the road . the totals of both sites add up relatively the same . so my unit must have 300 more lbs then what left the factory or ??
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
I am just wondering . don't want a unit tat has cheaper axles , just do they save a buck and cost me down the road . the totals of both sites add up relatively the same . so my unit must have 300 more lbs then what left the factory or ??
Northstar, have you taken delivery of the unit you ordered? If so, what does the sticker show? (tongue, dry, GVWR)

Dry weight claims or estimates from Forst River (brochures or on-line) are just that. The dry weight includes tongue weight and we should not add tongue weight to get GVWR (my mistake, as well). The posted weights and capacities are for a bare-bone unit without options, whatever those options are. FR states that they can change without notice, and they do.

Dry weight plus cargo (and options) equals GVWR. A unit leaving the factory is weighed; that is actual and the "gospel" for each unit built. Those weights including options as well as GVWR, and will be printed on the yellow sticker.

It would seem that FR has lightened the unit from 6968# to 6759# somehow, possibly by leaving off something that was previouslyy standard, but now is an option.

The new non-optioned unit with its 3014# of cargo and options should have a GVWR of 9773# all things being equal. If the weight is evenly proportioned front to rear, the TWR is at a good 11.8%... and the axles (4400) are under their rating. If you expect or need to load the garage to 2000# (and if it is rated to do so... mine was) , then the ratio drops dangerously low to 6.6% and the axles are exceeded slightly. In order to achieve the minimum 10% TWR, and expect to carry 2000# in the garage, you would need a unit that will carry 4000# (above the advertised 6759#) in cargo and options and the axles would have to be over 4800# each.

So, if 3014# in options and cargo is enough and you balance that weight front to rear, you should be Okay with the 4400# axles... assuming those are what the 29HFS comes with.
__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Wolfwhistle : well it seems to have changed once again , when i fist looked at the specs for the unit 29hfs xlr the dealer site showed the same as the manufacture , then all of a sudden it changed from the 3014 cargo to 2700 cargo . Now when i see the new 2015 units they are at 69xx . with a cargo of 4000 lbs . real big difference . i am wondering now about getting cheaper lighter axles . I'm bringing this up with the dealer . have not signed the papers yet and may want them to switch units .
there is no reason for these types of discrepancy
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Northstar, have you taken delivery of the unit you ordered? If so, what does the sticker show? (tongue, dry, GVWR)

Dry weight claims or estimates from Forst River (brochures or on-line) are just that. The dry weight includes tongue weight and we should not add tongue weight to get GVWR (my mistake, as well). The posted weights and capacities are for a bare-bone unit without options, whatever those options are. FR states that they can change without notice, and they do.

Dry weight plus cargo (and options) equals GVWR. A unit leaving the factory is weighed; that is actual and the "gospel" for each unit built. Those weights including options as well as GVWR, and will be printed on the yellow sticker.

It would seem that FR has lightened the unit from 6968# to 6759# somehow, possibly by leaving off something that was previouslyy standard, but now is an option.

The new non-optioned unit with its 3014# of cargo and options should have a GVWR of 9773# all things being equal. If the weight is evenly proportioned front to rear, the TWR is at a good 11.8%... and the axles (4400) are under their rating. If you expect or need to load the garage to 2000# (and if it is rated to do so... mine was) , then the ratio drops dangerously low to 6.6% and the axles are exceeded slightly. In order to achieve the minimum 10% TWR, and expect to carry 2000# in the garage, you would need a unit that will carry 4000# (above the advertised 6759#) in cargo and options and the axles would have to be over 4800# each.

So, if 3014# in options and cargo is enough and you balance that weight front to rear, you should be Okay with the 4400# axles... assuming those are what the 29HFS comes with.


Well now don't you see an issue with them selling a unit where they max out the axle with a standard load ? 4400 axles = 8800. when you start at
over there exceeded rate with sticking to there figures you will be over the axles ratings from the get go . 2700 in cargo once you add 450 lbs water , 1400 to 1500 in atv motorcycles it leaves you with 800 lbs of other cargo . and now they are stating a 6900
++ dry weight with a 4000 lbs axles . I should have dome more research and now will deal with the dealer on why all the differences .
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
northstar1960's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: in my new 29hfsxlr
Posts: 1,658
either way if you stick to the minimum dry weight and cargo your over the axle max by 800 lbs
__________________
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
Well now don't you see an issue with them selling a unit where they max out the axle with a standard load ? 4400 axles = 8800. when you start at
over there exceeded rate with sticking to there figures you will be over the axles ratings from the get go . 2700 in cargo once you add 450 lbs water , 1400 to 1500 in atv motorcycles it leaves you with 800 lbs of other cargo . and now they are stating a 6900
++ dry weight with a 4000 lbs axles . I should have dome more research and now will deal with the dealer on why all the differences .
If the maxiumum total weight (GVWR) is not exceed, and the load is balanced, you will not exceerd the axle ratings, as I figured it. Most people don't carry 450# of water any great distance. Keep in mind a little over half of that water weight is on the tongue, not the axles. The more of the 3014 (or 2700 if that is it) that's on the tongue, meas less that's on the axles. Make sense?? If you need to carry more weight, get it optioned from FR, or buy another trailer... by the way, getting heavier axles installed by your dealer will not increase the factory GVWR... (in my experience) something to think about. Also, what many people don't realize is trailer components (axles, tires, etc.) are often maxed out and they are made to do so, on a good day. But, if it is peace of mind you are seeking, have it built stronger, or find a stronger trailer... swapping axles alone won't do it.
__________________

__________________
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.