Old 02-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
If the maxiumum total weight (GVWR) is not exceed, and the load is balanced, you will not exceerd the axle ratings, as I figured it. Most people don't carry 450# of water any great distance. Keep in mind a little over half of that water weight is on the tongue, not the axles. The more of the 3014 (or 2700 if that is it) that's on the tongue, meas less that's on the axles. Make sense?? If you need to carry more weight, get it optioned from FR, or buy another trailer... by the way, getting heavier axles installed by your dealer will not increase the factory GVWR... (in my experience) something to think about. Also, what many people don't realize is trailer components (axles, tires, etc.) are often maxed out and they are made to do so, on a good day. But, if it is peace of mind you are seeking, have it built stronger, or find a stronger trailer... swapping axles alone won't do it.
Well there's a good answer . don't use the unit as it was intended , don't carry a full water tank heading to the forest service camping and just do without water , as it is with unit dry weight and cargo weight they are over the axle rating . this is not what a good manufacture does .

I'm just saying . I have a email,into the dealer now wanting answers . when you buy something you expect it to be as listed . not have ratings change from day to day . the new 2015 have a cargo of 4000 lbs . and it's a new 2015 I'm buying or now it seems a left over they changed the date on and not the same as a real 2015 , either way some switching of numbers and units and what is going on i don't know

Old 02-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #22

I can't say it any simpler. Dry weight plus cargo weight minus tongue weight divided by two does not exceed 4400# axles rating ... assuming you balance the either 2700 or 3014 and don't exceed it. And it doesn't matter if the weight is water or feathers ... it does matter where you put it. Best if luck.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I can't say it any simpler. Dry weight plus cargo weight minus tongue weight divided by two does not exceed 4400# axles rating ... assuming you balance the either 2700 or 3014 and don't exceed it. And it doesn't matter if the weight is water or feathers ... it does matter where you put it. Best if luck.
I did find out that there is no 29hsf xlr with a cargo cap of 4000 . that was a typo . mis print heard this from the factory rep today . the 3014 or 2700 or even 2650 depend on fuel station or not electric bed in the back , etc small differences change the cargo dry weight /

how ever if you take 69xx lbs plus 2700 your at 9600 lbs that is over the axle rating of 8800 . now you need to be sure when loading you keep 1000 lbs TW to help carry the load . the dealer rep says even though they list a 974 tw they do not expect people to have that much tw when the cargo area is loaded with 1500lbs of bike toys etc . so that means trying to load front heavy to keep the weight fwd so the TV can pick up the lack of axle ratings . IMO they should have axles that are rated over the loaded rate . with out factoring in the TV but that's just MHO . will it work sure ,will i have issues probably not , will i up grade the tires to a E rated you bet i will . is everything on this workable yes but with very little margin of error
all this to try and accommodate 1/2 ton picks-ups and increase sales . I would not tow a 10,000 /1000 with a 1/2 ton , but if it makes people feel like they can get a bigger unit without upgrading their tV and that's what they did .

I know i will be using every lbs of carrying capacity and wishing i had more .
Old 02-13-2015, 11:52 PM   #24

I'm still envisioning the XLR full of feathers!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #25

That would leave a bunch of geese shivering!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:18 AM   #26

Has anyone actually taken a new 29HFS on scales and weighed it or are we all going by manufacturer specs? I am trying to spec out the 29 with the extra bed/dinette in the rear, sofa slider option and fuel station which( has a 30 gallon tank) and generator. Seems the weight varies depending on who you speak with so a solid number by a user would be great information for everyone.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #27

Goodtimesny .

I've gotten several weights from forest river and the dealers . i have it down now . the more options you add the less cargo weight you can carry . mine with the basics , electric bed in the cargo area and fuel station , no generator , leaves me with 2650 of cargo . the unit is all wired for a generator with control panel and fuel lines . buying a generator from the net saves me a bundle . I've found them onan 4000 w evap for 2898.free shipping and full warranty , compared to a dealer that wants upwards of 5000.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #28

That's good info for the cargo area but what about over all weight for towing comparison? Seems there are so many fluctuations in weights where it should be a precise weight. I have read so many threads and posts on this subject but I have yet to see where these models were put on scales with various options and reported by users. Perhaps that would make for a great sticky?? 😱
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #29

it varies depending on options . forest river lists dry weight when leaving the factory , dealer may add options and that changes weight for cargo . not sure anyone has the same weight . but max weight is around 9700 lbs
Old 02-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #30

GoodTimes, Here's the deal. First, FR weighs the units, calls it UVW. It isn't the same as the weights shown on the web site, because it includes options on the unit.

And, no I have not weighed my unit. The famous or infamous yellow sticker is the gospel for what a particular unit can carry and what it actually weighs when it rolls out of the factory. So, the factory weighed it before I started adding things.

Why the confusion: FR made major changes in late 2014 effecting the last 2014s and the first 2015s to roll out of production. Brochures were not accurate; they didn't keep brochures current with what they were building and I think this is inexcusable for such a large company as this, but it is what it is. Add to this all the variations in options there are thousands of weight combinations.

The only sure way to know what a proposed unit weighs is to find what one recently delivered with those options on it. But, why does it need to be so close. The reality is we need a margin to grow into, because it will happen as time goes by. This is human nature.

You can take what my unit weighs and add or subtract what you think options would weigh and ball park it. Especially if you are going to add a margin in at the end.

This might be helpful. My 29HFS is a 2015; the yellow sticker shows the UVW is 6991 lbs. (keep in mind this is the entire trailer, tongue included), Cargo capacity 2724 lbs. So, my GVWR officially 9715#.

No water, no LP gas, but does have the tanks and the spare tire that I can't find in the current list of optioins (below)

The options mine came with: Kick Start package, Gen Prep, mobile fuel station, recliner sofa IPO the dinette, One electric bed, and the Hid-n-screen. Full list below.

Current AVAILABLE OPTIONS (some I have)

Kick Start Package (Mandatory): 13.5K BTU Ducted A/C, Spare Tire, Black Diamond Plate, Premium Graphics, Vintage Oak Vinyl Flooring, Generator Storage, Electric Awning with LED Lights, Aluminum Wheels, LED Lighting, Black Tank Flush
Extreme Weather Package: Dual Pane Windows, 12V Heated Holding Tanks, Radiant Roof/ Floor/Slide Out Floor/Front Insulation (R-38 @ 80įF)
Power Tongue Jack
Generator Prep (N/A 31FDK)
4.0 KW Onan CARB EVAP Generator (N/A 31FDK)
VIEW MORE
Mobile Fuel Station
15K BTU A/C IPO 13.5K
32" LED TV (Living, Bedroom, Garage)
Removable Cargo Carpet
Convection Microwave (N/A 30HDS)
Recliner Sofa IPO U-Dinette (27HFS, 29HFS, 30HDS)
Electric Bed(s)
Electric Bed with Pass-thru Dinette
VIP Party Deck
Outdoor Kitchen (31FDK only)
Hid-N-Screen

Some items can be calculated or guessed at with some degree of accuracy.... the 4000K Onan for instance; according to Onan about 172# and I would guess, puts 155# of that on the tongue.

This their disclaimers:

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) – The maximum permissible weight of the unit, including the Unloaded Vehicle Weight (UVW) plus all fluids, occupants, cargo, optional equipment and accessories. For safety and product performance, do not exceed the GVWR. GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) – The maximum total weight of the loaded unit, plus a tow vehicle. This includes the weight of both the unit and tow vehicle, fuel for each, all other fluids, cargo, occupants, optional equipment and accessories.

Each Forest River RV is weighed at the manufacturing facility prior to shipping. A label identifying the dry weight of the actual unit and the available cargo and occupant capacity is applied to every Forest River RV prior to leaving our facilities.

Floor plans and specifications are based on the latest product information. Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes in drawings and specifications at any time without notice and assumes no responsibility for any errors in the site. The model number does not necessarily reflect the overall length of a particular unit.