Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
Wolfwhistle something still doesn't add up? the brocure for my 2015 29HFS says that the "shipping weight" (dry weight ?) is 6968 and the cargo is 4017. 6968+4017=10985 GVW 10985/2= 5492.5 or 5500# axles If I take the new 5200# axles I get 10400 GVW or 10400-6968= 3432# payload still short of the 4017# advertised, but better than the 2700 sticker on the trailer. by the way 4400*2= 8800 or 8800-6968= 1832 # of payload, way off the 4017 promised and 2700# sticker. I need to go weigh my unit and see if its less than the 6968 in the brocure. That could account for some weight. But FR is dangeriously low on their cargo capacity at 1832. The online brocure changed the weight down to 6700 but paylaod is now listed as 3000#. Am I off somewhere on my calculations? The tires are load rated for 2350, 2350*4= 9400, well below the new 10,400 with my new axles. Off to buy new tires?

I am glad that they changed the axles out without much fuss. But I think that this needs recalled.
Hey R, you are failing to consider something, easily missed: the tongue weight! This is of course, carried by the tow vehicle and isn't part of the "sprung" weight of the unit, thus not carried by the axles. In fact, the tires, wheels and axles themselves (with components) are resting on the road not the axles; although the spindles, bearings, wheels and tires need to be rated at least to what bears upon them.

We should at a minimum, with rig loaded for bear, have each axle weighed in a scale; if it is considerably under weight, let 'er roll. But, to be really, really sure of weight, you would have to load 'er up and get each tire weighed. Because, if one side is heavier than the other... or the front to rear balance is off, tires will not be carrying the exact same weight. And, it is possible to be under the rating (GVWR or Gross Axle Weight) and have a tire (or two) over its limit.

Also we should be mindful that as time goes on, most tend to load more and more into our rigs, so we should keep an eye on what we put in to them; and where, so we can keep everything happy and safe. Ideally, when you put something in that is heavy, decide what to take out and do it. I suppose the same could be said about a lot of light things.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Hey R, you are failing to consider something, easily missed: the tongue weight! This is of course, carried by the tow vehicle and isn't part of the "sprung" weight of the unit, thus not carried by the axles. In fact, the tires, wheels and axles themselves (with components) are resting on the road not the axles; although the spindles, bearings, wheels and tires need to be rated at least to what bears upon them.

We should at a minimum, with rig loaded for bear, have each axle weighed in a scale; if it is considerably under weight, let 'er roll. But, to be really, really sure of weight, you would have to load 'er up and get each tire weighed. Because, if one side is heavier than the other... or the front to rear balance is off, tires will not be carrying the exact same weight. And, it is possible to be under the rating (GVWR or Gross Axle Weight) and have a tire (or two) over its limit.

Also we should be mindful that as time goes on, most tend to load more and more into our rigs, so we should keep an eye on what we put in to them; and where, so we can keep everything happy and safe. Ideally, when you put something in that is heavy, decide what to take out and do it. I suppose the same could be said about a lot of light things.

Forgot the tongue weight that explains the walk from 1832 to 2700 on the sticker. Not the tires though. I'll weigh it next week when I take it out camping. It's the only way to be sure. Unfortunately the weight is not always on the tongue. During highway bumps the weight is transferred back and forth. I want tires rated for the full load.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocrider50 View Post
Forgot the tongue weight that explains the walk from 1832 to 2700 on the sticker. Not the tires though. I'll weigh it next week when I take it out camping. It's the only way to be sure. Unfortunately the weight is not always on the tongue. During highway bumps the weight is transferred back and forth. I want tires rated for the full load.
Rocrider, don't you think the various manufacturers (axle - wheel - tire, etc.) consider in the real world, there are bumps and other hazards? If its OK for the axle to experience more weight that its rated to carry during a bump, why would you not consider it OK for the tire? I don't know by how much, but there is a safety margin built into the engineering.