Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

Hyperlite 29hfs questions

Hi All,

I am looking to possibly become the owner of a new Hyperlite 29hfs toy hauler, however I have several questions that I am hoping I can get answers to.

* I have a GL1800 Goldwing and the Wife has a Yamaha Roadstar. Will both of these fit into the garage on this unit? Also would the weight of these two be of any concern? I think the goldwing weights roughly 1000 lbs. The roadstar comes in around 700lbs. That would give them together around 1700lbs.

* I have a winegard minimax stationary satelitte dish that I removed from our previous RV. Has anyone attempted to install one of these on the roof of the 29hfs? Are there any concerns with drilling the wire straight down about where the tv goes in the living area of this camper?

* The unit we are looking at isn't prewired for a generator, however I have the Honda 3000is that I am looking to mount on the front of the 29hfs. How hard is it to wire the connection for this into the 29hfs. Does it already have a automatic transfer switch in the trailer?

* Does anyone have a picture of a TV installed in the living area of the 29hfs. This is probably the most important question as my wife is concerned for she doesn't want to see cables dangling everywhere

Thanks for any help!!
TexGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #2

Well, I took the plunge and am now an owner of the hyper lite 29hfs. Hopefully I can figure all this out.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

I am sure you will be happy with it! While I was on the roof installing vent covers it seemed
plenty sturdy for your sat.

I have no idea on the gen. Mine is not prewired either. Like you, I plan on having my Yamaha on the front storage tray. I will just start her up and plug it in when needed.
Scooter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

The only question I can help with is the weight limit in the garage is 2000 lbs max. I don't allow tv's in my camper, camping is family time exclusively so that means card games, hiking, kayaking, walking, swimming, naps, bonfires, whatever keeps us interacting with each other. Our 29hfs is new to us also and we are excited for our first trip next week. Read through the threads as some issues were noted by more than one owner so you may want to be aware of them. Good luck and have fun with your camper.
Campingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

Thanks all! We pick it up this next Friday. So we are excited. We decided to use the pathway for satellite and not put any new holes in the roof. The generator and the bikes will be our challenge over the next several months. I've drawn myself a schematic on how to wire the gen for auto transfer and hopefully my measurements are correct for getting both of the bikes loaded. As for the TV, I can understand campingchick, one of the reasons we went with the hyperlite instead of the truck camper and trailer we have been using before, was to be able to take the grand kids with us. When they are with us there won't be much if any TV. It's basically for the wife and me once we move inside for the night on our motorcycle excursions.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #6

it isnt that hard to wire up, but we didnt, we use our main cable with 30 amp gen adapter and set the generator away from the camper, we use a siphon cap and second fuel can on generator..... I dont like having all that fuel up close to camper.....plus we sleep with windows open at times and the right side window is right there....you can always run an exhaust tube down and out..... we dont always need generator and I use it for other stuff and around the house......I went with adding a storage box on tongue of our hyperlite.....just about any dealer or electrician can wire it up to camper.....a friend of mine wired up his hondas on his hyperlite himself......he has the smaller honda gens in parallel.....seems to work good......

I think you can find a PDF of the hypelite electrical and that will make it easy to figure out what you need to do for wiring up on yours...

there are so many options with these things your imagination is about the only limits, next to overloading...lol...lol....

enjoy..
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGent View Post
Hi All,

I am looking to possibly become the owner of a new Hyperlite 29hfs toy hauler, however I have several questions that I am hoping I can get answers to.

* I have a GL1800 Goldwing and the Wife has a Yamaha Roadstar. Will both of these fit into the garage on this unit? Also would the weight of these two be of any concern? I think the goldwing weights roughly 1000 lbs. The roadstar comes in around 700lbs. That would give them together around 1700lbs.

* I have a winegard minimax stationary satelitte dish that I removed from our previous RV. Has anyone attempted to install one of these on the roof of the 29hfs? Are there any concerns with drilling the wire straight down about where the tv goes in the living area of this camper?

* The unit we are looking at isn't prewired for a generator, however I have the Honda 3000is that I am looking to mount on the front of the 29hfs. How hard is it to wire the connection for this into the 29hfs. Does it already have a automatic transfer switch in the trailer?

* Does anyone have a picture of a TV installed in the living area of the 29hfs. This is probably the most important question as my wife is concerned for she doesn't want to see cables dangling everywhere

Thanks for any help!!
Hello TexGent,
i just bought a 29 last week... and as you already know (another member stated as well) the 'garage' has a 2K# max; so the bikes and a little bit more should work. I would however, make sure to load the front with heavy items, to compensate. Your 3K Honda on the tongue should help.

I have read on this forum that two bikes in a 27hfs can be an issue with tail wagging. But situations are all different, and this is a lighter model.

There is a member Herk7769 that has the generator / battery / shore power / transfer switch wiring down pat, search for his schematic or contact him. I can see that shore power / connections are located in the 'pantry cabinet' just towards the rear from the slide... and there is a removable panel there. My unit came prewired for generator and with the fuel station, but I haven't done a thing with them... I don't know if the station even works. I do know that the bare connections in the genny bay was hot and not even insulated.

I would suppose that a 3K might fit into the space, but don't know if the generator can pull fuel up from the tank... or if you have to have a certain type of genny.... or a fuel pump of some kind. I have a 1K Honda... that will run the microwave or a coffee pot... one at a time... but that's about it. I am told two 1Ks cabled together is a good combination, which means I won't use the generator bay and would mount on the tongue. I don't, however, think I could sleep with a generator running a few feet from my head, but would like to have a generator for those rare cases when you really need one.

I have mounted a 32" flatscreen to the TV wall with a swivel / tilting bracket, but to prevent damage while bouncing along the extremely bad roads the winter has left us... I installed loops to ceiling and use straps to support the TVs weight... I am sure some might not approve. On my unit, the antenna and power connection is on the ceiling so, about 10" of those cables show above the TV.

I have a 100 dish on a tripod and a receiver subscribed to DishNetwork, but I don't like carrying all the pieces and the setup time.... I will probably opt for some kind of carry out unit. Let me know how you set up your unit. I will be interested in what you do. Thanks, Wolf

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Hey all,

We are loving our 29hfs so far. We have came across some items that need serviced but nothing major. The only big complaint I have is the dump levers. Hopefully they fired the engineer for that setup!

We did try the generator out on the tongue, and like y'all mentioned, that isn't ideal. The noise and vibration from the unit in that position would make for a long night. Instead I'm going to just run the gen from the bed of the truck when connected, and just set it off to the side, when the trailer is disconnected.

Haven't loaded the bikes yet, but pretty confident that we can get them on there. We will have to balance the load, but that shouldn't be an issue with everything we are carrying up front.

I mounted a 40" tv in the living area on a swing out mount. Fits perfectly, however I did get a bracket with a quick disconnect so I can easily remove the TV for transport. Just don't trust leaving 40lbs on the wall when moving. Also mounted a 22" tv in the garage, that one was very easy to install.

We did take on another project after camping for several nights in it. The dinette wasn't comfortable for us or even the grand kids, so we took it out and now have the following setup, that we are very happy with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401326853.690603.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	530.9 KB
ID:	53592
Old 05-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #9

Continued from my last post. Guess I hit the wrong button :/

Anyways we love the dinette setup we have now, but will be lowering the table. It is just to tall. Has anyone been able to remove the upper end cap from the sequoia legs? Would like to just saw the post down shorter, but can't figure how to get that cap off.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #10

Like the new dining setup TexGent! No help on the sequoia leg question.

I had sat on a 27hfs dinette and knew it wouldn't work for me. So, I opted for the 3 recliner sofa. I like the sofa alot.

I am with you on the dump handles... how utterly cheap / possibly short sighted / or sadistic on the builder's part to do it that to us! They do make dump handles with cables... might cost them another $20!!! I'll have to redo at least the worst of them (the black tank handle).

The more we stay in it, the more things we find that needs to be 'reengineered'. First thing to happen was after the first large bump... 1 of at least 10,000 I've hit in the past 2 and a half weeks of travel... at my first stop to check the wheel lugs (make sure you do this!!!) , the microwave was nearly on the floor. The vented surround was bent and the bottom screws were laying on the floor... they were screwed in about 1/8" from the edge of the cabinet face frame. The microwave is supposed to rest on the cabinet floor, so the cabinet supports all the weight; then the surround screwed into the face of the cabinet to keep it in the cabinet. But... the opening was made too small (vertically) for surround screws, so the idiot 'Mr. Quickfix' installer lifted up the appliance up off the floor of the cabinet and screwed (barely catching wood) into the face frame! So, two screws on the surround (top) was the only thing holding it up! First bump... it ripped loose. Thanks FR, I appreciate it! It is such a simple fix; only requires placing an extra 1/2" plywood piece cut to size and fastened into the cabinet... then the mickie has its weight supported and the surround screws find wood, if even barely. Note to FR make the opening smaller or have High Pointe make the surround 3/4" taller. I will have a couple of extra screw holes to fill, but the plywood should be fine.

As I look around, I wonder how (or where) the receiver and DVD player is going to go; and how and where to run the wiring... also, I want to connect the main TV sound to overhead speakers... Right now, I am looking at the slot next to the cheap radio ($54 on eBay) for a possible location and can imagine that connecting the cables from the camper outside through the receiver and on to the TV should be easy. It would be nice to allow one of the other TVs (if I ever get another) to allow DVD or antenna feed... in other words, so not all TVs have to play the same thing; this might be difficult to do, if done without exposing any wires. There is a small space between the sliding bedroom doors in the middle that could possibly be drilled from underneath... the wires brought up between the walls and terminate into a box behind the TV (center on that wall). Sounds challenging to me and I love these kind of things. Not kinding. I haven't studied it thoroughly but am surprised or slightly disappointed that FR didn't provide a conduit or a channel connecting the wiring access pane to the TV. But if a receiver and player can fit beside the wonderful radio, it might be a piece of cake... other than getting audio from TV to amp (if there is an amp)/ speakers or even adding more speakers could be fun.

Then there is the lack of counter space... obvious a problem from the beginning, but I have a solution: Since there isn't a place for the coffee pot! I have it on a TV stand directly below the TV for now. I have seen a small roll around 'island' cabinet that I think would work and solve several problems. It has storage below; 4 doors; a fold down stainless steel top that could be mounted lower allowing a eating surface towards the sofa. It was about 18" wide by 48" long by 36" high. I think it even solves the no paper towel holder and not kitchen towel rod by providing both. I only have to find it again! There is enough room between sofa and kitchen cabinet for it. Only having one bike would let me strap to the side wall of the garage using existing D-rings and ratchet-straps. The only issue is getting power to it... it will have to fun across the floor. A floor box seems extreme to me!

I will also have to get a ladder, but will probably just use my pickup bed to carry it and cable lock it there. Trees can make quite a mess on top of the slide and sliding in with sticks and pine cones could damage seals, probably not covered by warranty.

As I expected and was forewarned; the heater is considerably insufficient as is the air conditioner. We arrived today at Magnolia Springs GA just below Augusta. It was 92 in the shade and 89 in the camper. The AC unit has run continually for over 3 hours and only pulled the temp to 75 degrees inside and only this after I blocked off the garage and placed a fan to circulate air... there is the quick cool "feature" where the ducts can be left closed, but hollering at each other on the same couch is nerve racking. By the way, I am not a negative person, just a realist!! We should start a thread "Pimp my Hyperlite" and steal the idea from another thread on this forum by Greywolf owners; and post our upgrades / changes there. I think I could like this 29HFS with a little work.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #11

I have already stole a few ideas from the "pimp my" thread over there. I use a bungee on the micro surround to hold our paper towel. Put a hook on either side, and you can flip it up overhead to use the microwave in a pinch. I place a cutting board over the stove top. Makes that area into useable counter space. I actually am using a Camp Chef Everest stove and a cheap table from Wal Mart to cook outside on most of the time anyway.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 PM   #12

Hey WolfWhistle,

Finally figured out the table legs today. They actually have the end caps superglued on. I just used a hacksaw blade and scored the side of it, that allows you to get a screwdriver in an break the glue loose. I then cut the legs to 24" and now the table is the perfect height.

Yeah the dump valves and placement are a joke. I've had a couple of RV's over the years and never had one that placed the valves where I had to pray that my hose is connected well and won't spring a leak since the main drain is right in my face!!! This will be another project I'll have to undertake sooner instead of later.

I'll take a pic of my TV setup tomorrow, but I installed racks above the TV to hold the receiver and DVD player. I noticed the same area you mentioned between the bedroom and the main TV and had thought about running the cables through this area, that was until I crawled underneath and realized the holding tanks are right there. I didn't want to mess with dropping the tanks, so instead opted for the wall mount. I've thought about TV speakers, but at this time the sound appears to be fine. If I end up needing them, I'll just add the wall mount for the speakers beside the TV.

I've already changed out the cheap dual receiver with a sony unit that has the tune tray that I can easily put my iPod inside or just a usb stick loaded with MP3's.

I've checked the mw and it is actually anchored directly into a support beam under it. I'll be checking my lug nuts in the morning, thanks for the heads up!

I'll have to find that greywolf forum, sounds like they might have some good info there.

FYI, if you have the 29hfs. They placed the Hotwire for the inside lights when you come inside, to the wrong terminal, this meant in order to have any of the outside lights on, that you had to turn the inside light on. Easy fix, but couldn't believe this one slipped by all the checks.

Also the marking on the door side for low water drain is incorrect. The two located there are for the water heater tank. The actual low point drain, is located on the other side, right before the slide out.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #13

Here is a pic of my tv setup with the receiver mounted above. The receiver is attached to the tray, so I leave it up but remove the TV for transport.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401480473.234832.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	620.4 KB
ID:	53837
Old 05-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #14

TexGent,
Just checked: low point drain label is below the HWH; both hot and cold. I think the other drain (on the slide side) is for the fresh water tank... its overflow is right next to it. I would guess this is correct... on my 29.

My interior / exterior / awning LED lights are correct.

I didn't read the manual, but it looks like the Dual radio has a 4mm input, but the USB might only be for charging (usb devices)... this is a question. I need to check. I have a USB loaded with tunes, but not with me. The radio has good reception, but I do miss the DVD / weather / AM / FM unit in my Jayco. The Dual doesn't have remote, at least, I haven't found one yet.

Didn't think of the tanks in the way of the speaker wall, but it would be easy enough to drill the floor anywhere within the forward storage bins and run the wiring from there to the TV wall; drilling the wall under the bed area so it is hidden.

I've been noticing (or tripping) over the plywood of the slide's floor. It sticks out (it seems to me) at least 3 to 3 1/2" beyond what would be required. It looks like it could cut off. To eliminate the trip hazard (or annoyance) I have pulled the sofa from the back (slide) wall about 3" or 4". This cuts down on the living space... not much but every little be hurts.

I want a 110VAC outlet near the sofa. I've been eying the access panel in the pantry (the one that lets you get to the outside hookups) but haven't take it off yet, to see what's inside. If you are sitting on the couch and need power for your PC, there just isn't one close enough. AC power should be inside that area... and it shouldn't be hard to install a box and plugs in that panel area.

Do you have ordering information of that TV tray mount you used? Also, does it swivel and tilt?

Nice conversation, thanks! Wolfwhistle

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 PM   #15

Scooter86... do you have a pic of your paper towel holder? Yes, i sit a cutting board on top of the cook top. And, you are right, cooking outside is the way to go, unless it is raining or the bugs are fierce. Thanks.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #16

Yes, a pic will explain it far better. It really is about as simple a mod as can be done. I wish it were more eloquent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1401663853099.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	54061  
Old 06-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #17

Hey WolfWhistle,

Your right about the low point drains. Glad your awning lights were wired correctly, I actually didn't notice mine weren't till the wife mentioned it.

Your also right about the Dual radio, the usb connection is only for charging. In order for an MP3 player or iphone to work, you have to use the headphone jack. This is the main reason I changed mine out.

The brackets I used for the TV and shelf are located here on amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Like your idea for running the cable underneath the bed. I may do that to separate my satellite connection.

Just dropped my trailer off at the dealer for some warranty work. The black siding on the slide-out was bubbling away from whatever it was glued to. Figured I better get it taken care off before condensation takes a toll on the inner skin hopefully have it back in a few weeks.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #18

Oh, and that access panel has the connection your looking for to get the electric. You'll just need to ensure you fuse or breaker it, since it will be before the fuse box. I'm actually looking at doing the same thing.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #19

Hey TexGent,
Right about fuses or breakers. You don't want to burn it down, insurance or not! You mentioned something about separating satellite connections, so I don't know if this will help, but found this great idea and thought I would pass along to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 59 views)

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #20

TexGent,
I haven't seen any de-lamination on my unit. Bummer! Also, just thought of it... my receiver will fit the slot to the right of the radideo... haven't done it yet, but seems like a nice place for it. I am going out there right now and look inside that panel. Have a great summer!
Wolf

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas