Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2014, 06:54 PM   #1

Hyperlite heater and AC question for owners

Hello Hyperlite owners, I read that the 29HFS has (only) a 20K BTU heater and especially without the extreme package (temp extremes), I wonder if this will be an issue. I probably won't be looking for cold, but I did get 'stuck' camping in 30 degree temps. Can someone share from experience how well... or how poor the heater is? The other things is the standard 13.5K AC unit. The TH I am looking at only has the standard unit. So, the optional 15K isn't a viable option at this time. Any input based on experience is welcomed, Thanks!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #2

We mainly use a portable ceramic heater when it gets cold. Fire up the furnace to get up to temp and the ceramic heater will keep up. Usually set the furnace at 55 just in case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
MGordyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
2014 XLR 27HFS

Picked up ours in Iowa in January. It was -9 when we headed south. Had to stop in a rest area 60 miles shy of Nashville. It was a balmy 12 degrees. Turned on the gas, cranked on the stock heater - it ran non stop and only was able to reach 50 degrees by morning. I don't think we would have been able to sleep without our really good, warm sleeping bags. That was a chilly night for Floridians. Unless you have a 4 season camper, the stock heaters will never keep up with cold weather.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:43 PM   #4

When it was 35 out I let ours run for about an hour to see how it would do. It ran nonstop and got up to the low 60's. I think it would be ok in that setting, but I wouldn't want to be on battery only. A small electric heater would probably make a big difference. The good news is the garage heated about the same as the rest of the coach. I hear some th don't have good heat in the garage.

sent from a place not yet warm enough for me to camp in.
Scooter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #5

In 100 + days the 13.5 ac cools the kitchen and front bedroom OK , but runs almost non stop with thermostat set at 70. We also use a small high speed fan to circulate The air to the garage area.

In the winter; temps in the low to mid 30's like most we run an electric heater to supplement the factory heater. it really helps cut down on the frequency the main heater starts and stops.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
Picked up ours in Iowa in January. It was -9 when we headed south. Had to stop in a rest area 60 miles shy of Nashville. It was a balmy 12 degrees. Turned on the gas, cranked on the stock heater - it ran non stop and only was able to reach 50 degrees by morning. I don't think we would have been able to sleep without our really good, warm sleeping bags. That was a chilly night for Floridians. Unless you have a 4 season camper, the stock heaters will never keep up with cold weather.
Thanks Dave961 for verifying this for me. I wonder how your AC unit does? As far as heat; by the numbers it would seem, 20K BTU should be enough for a room(s) in a house that size, but as we know, there is a huge difference in the R value of a home vs. trailer; especially one not a 4 Season. The old Jayco had 35K; was not a 4 season; had beaucoup windows, but it would warm the place up. Of course, it burned lots of LP doing it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-07-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter86 View Post
When it was 35 out I let ours run for about an hour to see how it would do. It ran nonstop and got up to the low 60's. I think it would be ok in that setting, but I wouldn't want to be on battery only. A small electric heater would probably make a big difference. The good news is the garage heated about the same as the rest of the coach. I hear some th don't have good heat in the garage.

sent from a place not yet warm enough for me to camp in.
Sorry its not warm enough to camp! Good time to test the heater! Chuckle! Thanks Scooter for the reply. Pretty amazing that it would only warm the unit up about 30 degrees (or less) more than the outside temps. Thanks for verifying this for me. I would think, that TWO upgraded deep cycle batteries would lessen the concern about running on batteries only; granted they have to be charged often. So it looks like it is a 40 degree camper, maybe into the 30s if you have a good sleeping bag.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
In 100 + days the 13.5 ac cools the kitchen and front bedroom OK , but runs almost non stop with thermostat set at 70. We also use a small high speed fan to circulate The air to the garage area.

In the winter; temps in the low to mid 30's like most we run an electric heater to supplement the factory heater. it really helps cut down on the frequency the main heater starts and stops.
Thanks for the good info, Kaboom! I guess it all comes down to $$$ in the end. They (FR and others) make a basic camper and equip it to be competitive. The Extreme Package as well as increased AC capacity are offered for a reason. But, no option to if offered to increase the furnace BTU... kind of strange IMO. I would think 35K would be the standard, as it is in Hyperlite's competition, not that I have seen them all. There must be a space limitation where the furnace is installed (?). Naturally, the Extreme Package is a good option; assuming it works as we would hope; if you want to get out there in the cold, this ain't it! But, taking fans and electric heaters might be all I need... most of the time. Maybe sleeping bags, too.... or just stay home. The older I get the more reasons I can find for not putting up with cold, heat and rain. Thanks again.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Thanks Dave961 for verifying this for me. I wonder how your AC unit does? ...
If you try to cool the whole camper down below 75, the A/C runs almost non-stop in the Florida heat. So what I do is close the door to the garage AND bathroom, set the temp to 76 or 77, and bypass the ducts so all the air comes straight down out of the A/C unit. We were in Leesburg a week and a half ago with no shade and it did OK in this configuration. My unit is the standard 13.5
Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
If you try to cool the whole camper down below 75, the A/C runs almost non-stop in the Florida heat. So what I do is close the door to the garage AND bathroom, set the temp to 76 or 77, and bypass the ducts so all the air comes straight down out of the A/C unit. We were in Leesburg a week and a half ago with no shade and it did OK in this configuration. My unit is the standard 13.5
Thanks Dave, your input concerns me, because it isn't hot yet. I live up the road a bit from you but was 'south' helping DD with some house things, or I would have ridden to Leesburg. My Jayco had slides that opens, essentially to bypass the ducts... I suppose this is the same as your unit? That would work to reduce the AC run times. It sounds like the Hyperlite needs two AC units.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #11

So, now I am a owner of a 2015 Hyperlite 29HFS. We've been traveling while temps are in low 40s and the heater is pretty wimpy. I have a electric heater to save gas and supplement the 20K furnace. I have a question for owners.... does your AC fan run when the heater runs... mine does... seems wrong??? Let me know, please.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
So, now I am a owner of a 2015 Hyperlite 29HFS. We've been traveling while temps are in low 40s and the heater is pretty wimpy. I have a electric heater to save gas and supplement the 20K furnace. I have a question for owners.... does your AC fan run when the heater runs... mine does... seems wrong??? Let me know, please.
Nothing wrong, all RV's that way last few years. It helps to circulated the heater discharge to all areas of the camper. If you don't like it, set the fan setting to auto it will no longer come on with the heater.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater