Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

I Took The Plunge

This past Saturday I drove off the Lot with a brand-spanking-new XLR 29HFS.

I think I got a good deal. And my buddy and I pulled it to Michigan to store it until the Spring.

I know nothing about it other than it pulled nicely with his F-350 dually. I don't think it will be a problem with my F-150. We shall see.

Since it's 1,400 miles away, I won't even have the chance to play with it until spring time.

Seems like a good quality unit. It really does.

Next, I got to think about pumping Black,and Gray, Water 450'

The grade (load?) will only be about 6 or 7 feet of vertical lift. If anybody knows of a place I can study the situation, please let me know
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Congratulations on the new rig. It's going to be tough waiting to use it!
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #3

Congrats on your new XLR 29HFS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post

I think I got a good deal. And my buddy and I pulled it to Michigan to store it until the Spring.

I know nothing about it other than it pulled nicely with his F-350 dually. I don't think it will be a problem with my F-150. We shall see.

Since it's 1,400 miles away, I won't even have the chance to play with it until spring time.

The grade (load?) will only be about 6 or 7 feet of vertical lift. If anybody knows of a place I can study the situation, please let me know
the 29 is a good unit you'll enjoy it ! look into sewage & effluent pumps . you could install a small pump station to dump into the pump will do the rest .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Congrats on your purchase. Hopefully in the spring you will find all the good things about it and have fun camping. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

They make a pump that goes on the bayonet where you would hook up your normal waste hose that will grind it up and pump it through a garden hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
egladden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by egladden View Post
They make a pump that goes on the bayonet where you would hook up your normal waste hose that will grind it up and pump it through a garden hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

I have one. It requires a 3/4" garden hose and is only rated for 50 feet. However, with minimal grade, I'm SURE it would be fine with a much longer distance. Don't call me if I'm wrong though! LOL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Old 12-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #8

Be careful with your research on pumping black water that far. You will need an effluent pump because of the solids but I would be more worried about the elevation and distance you have you pump.

You will love the 29HFS...:-)
Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Steve, mine works great on black and grey have I have a buddy who uses the same on a 150' slightly uphill run. 450' may well be pushing it unless it's dead level or downhill...
Old 12-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #10

Karl,
Based on my home septic system. I know if you have "run" too long, basic pumps can't handle it. I'm sure this product works great for some short runs. But it was stayed that he needed a 7-8ft elevation and 450ft distance.

(sorry can't find a good elevation/distance chart to show what I'm talking about...)

I would just suggest testing this pump out with some "clear" liquid first...

It was good to hear that this RV pump is even available. Thanks for sharing the link...
Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post

if your setting up a permanent site and need to pump the elevation and distance you state the only way to get that will be to install a pump station . one holding tank as small as 50 gallons will do it along with a good sewage pump and hard piped from the pump to where you wish to go . if freezing weather then it will need to be buried to proper depth for your area .this way you can dump into the tank and the pump will handle it from there . no need for a bigger holding tank as the pump will pump faster then the gravity feed from your black and grey tanks . a check valve past the pump will prevent the sewage from flowing back . the little pump shown in the previous post will not even come close
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #12

Not to flood you with ideas, but I have a shop with a full bath 300 feet from my septic tank with 4 feet of lift. I dump the 3" waste line into a 50 gallon plastic tank; then with a submersible heavy duty macerating pump (float controlled) I push everything through a 2" pvc pipe buried to the septic tank and it has worked well for 5 years. When I tested it, it puts out a stream of water that would go further than 450' IMO. But, before spending a dime I would have to ask a qualified plumber or septic system guy the best way to do this.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #13

NS & WW,
Great suggestions...
Old 12-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
John513

Quick question, why do you have to pump 450' away. What's in the way of dumping closer.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRiordan View Post
Quick question, why do you have to pump 450' away. What's in the way of dumping closer.
Good question -- Personal preference of the property owner, the War Department and me, too. It would just work better for all concerned.... Including the dog (who ranks higher than Yours Truly in the BT Household). Not to mention that the particular Country Road I'm off of is popular with big trucks. Further back = More gooder

If I find it can't be done or is too expensive, I'll have to reconsider.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. Please keep them coming. Not looking forward to emptying a tote so any help will much appreciated.
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
John513

They make portable dump tanks to. You could use one of those to empty your black into and take it up to your dump spot next to the road and for your grey they make a cap with a garden hose hookup to your 3" and run a hose a way from camp and let your grey run where ever.
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #17

Thinking.... First, if I were in the country, I would constantly drain the grey(s) into the ground via perforated drain pipe in crushed rock... for grey only. Secondly, since you should only dump black on demand (as needed) the tank with the macerating pump capacity can't be exceeded when dumping. I also wonder with if the pump KarltheCat suggested could be used in conjunction with some kind of booster pump placed in the waste line along the run?? The "stuff" would be pretty much liquefied at that stage with very few solids.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #18

This comes to mine C.

http://www.amazon.com/PLS100-Portabl...e+booster+pump

However, this all does seem complicated. How about just digging a hole and making a 50 gallon drum septic? It's the cost of a used oil barrel, a bag or three of lime, and some shovel time. While it can't handle constant use, it certainly could take the occasional "dump..."