Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #21

I keep mine plugged in whenever it's home. I recently bought a 50amp by 20amp male adapter that fits the trailer 50amp connector. I learned about that on this forum a few months ago. With this adaptor I can use a number 14 wire extension cord and don't have to wrestle with a frozen 50amp power cord. Works fine so far. I do check the water level in the battery once in a while, but it seldom is low and has never frozen.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:19 PM   #22

I always have my trailer plugged in when it is at home. I have a 30 amp plug just for the trailer and have never had a battery issue. Every once in a while it gets used as a guest house and it handy to have power to it whenever you want or need it.
Larry Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #23
Newly Retired

One rare problem with a plugged in RV that has not been mentioned.
A lightning storm can toast items in the RV the same as it might do in a house. Like I said, rarely, but it has happened. If your battery is all that needs power, I do that separately.
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #24

I installed completely separate outlet in my front compartment of my TT with the feed being a male plug end going out of an existing grommet to the underside...(Not exactly to "code" but..) plugged in a GOOD battery tender that I had hard wired through the same grommet back to the battery.
I run a separate cord to the plug in the winter thus not using any onboard systems...not a rocket scientist but seems to me why waste the "life" of the converter if your not using it. Plus I have issues leaving the trailer "Live" over the winter even though it's in my driveway....(Kind of a retired Firefighter thing)
ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveboe View Post
One rare problem with a plugged in RV that has not been mentioned.
A lightning storm can toast items in the RV the same as it might do in a house. Like I said, rarely, but it has happened. If your battery is all that needs power, I do that separately.
If you have a seperate/dedicated 30 or 50 amp circuit/breaker powering your rv from your home, and it's properly hooked up, and a good surge/power management system (Progressive) in your rig, than a lightening storm won't be a problem. House breaker will kick off and the Progressive system will also kick off.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:54 PM   #26

24/7 too
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:19 AM   #27

I installed a battery minder in the 5th wheel & plug t in all winter . I disconnect the Negative cable also. I am getting older & cannot remove the 2 - 6 volt batteries with out help. I store it on a friends farm plugged in.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #28

I did my winterazation this morning and on the way out of the TH I turned the battery disconnect off. It disconnected the battery and left the converter supplying power to the TH components. A little surprised but I should not have been, that is what the battery disconnect is supposed to do. So at this point i will just connect the battery every month or so to keep it charged. I will also read the directions for the converter to see if it has any recommendations for wintering the unit.

The Lead Acid battery has been around for a long, long time and there has been an endless amount of information published on the care and charging of them. The point is, if you keep the acid above the plates and recharge them after use, you can expect a reasonable life out of them, or you can spend a lot of time micro managing them for very little increase in life. There is so much going on inside of the battery that you have no control over. (My thought for the day)
2017 Laredo 325RL Sold
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
1970 Yellowstone Used as down payment for first house
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM   #29

Stored inside in my heated shop, plugged in 24/7, stabilizers down, slider out, 'fridge on, beer in the 'fridge.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #30

Mine stays plugged up. Even when winterized.

I'm not winterizing ours until after our Fla. trip in December. Keeping the heat on the lowest setting and staying plugged into shore power until then.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #31

You are correct. Charged battery's don't freeze. Charge them, turn the disconnect off and forget aboutthem
Heypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Nothing good can come of staying plugged in all winter.
Really? Not that I disagree with your method, I just disagree with the comment that nothing good can come of staying plugged in. Care to elaborate?

I plug in whenever Im home, regardless of weather or duration. Nothing bad has happened yet.

Mike
Old 10-31-2016, 01:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Really? Not that I disagree with your method, I just disagree with the comment that nothing good can come of staying plugged in. Care to elaborate?

I plug in whenever Im home, regardless of weather or duration. Nothing bad has happened yet.

Mike
Well I probably should not have been so provocative...for in normal circumstances with a state of the art charger (4 stage with auto EQ) nothing bad will typically happen....but you will be NO better off than fully charging and disconnecting AND you will run the risk of a component like your charger failing due to being on full time. Or, if the electric goes out...you are also subject to parasitic loads in addition to self discharge and you could end up with flat batteries because you think all is well.
Simply charging and disconnecting the negative wire allows nothing to go wrong for at least 3 months and doesn't waste electricity. Hope that clarifies what I meant.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter