Old 01-05-2016, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
Placed the order on 3/14/14 and trailer came in around 7/20/14. Now, there were some factors that affected the build that aren't in play anymore (like being the tail end of a bad winter when the factory couldn't get parts, and having a shortage of delivery drivers,) and the factory people both on here and on the phone (bulletbob, John M, Mike C, and Brian S, Carmen, and Diane) have been awesome. Great folks to deal with.

Thank you!!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nguyenbio View Post
Thank you!!
Not sure if you noticed Joe, but Bob responded too. He's the plant manager at XLR so there's your official estimate...

Old 01-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Not sure if you noticed Joe, but Bob responded too. He's the plant manager at XLR so there's your official estimate...
See you learn something new everyday! I did not know Bob was the plant manager! That's a big plus!

Who else better for insight and help then then the man who runs the factory!

Good way to start off a purchase! Hoping this is going to be a good experience!

Thanks everyone,

Joe
Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your beautiful XLR!!! Welcome to the XLR family!!!
Don't forget to sign up on the Forest River Owners Group too!!

XLR Owners United!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #15

Just signed up for the FR Owner's group! I cant wait for this thing to come in. We are driving from So Cal to Utah to pick it up. Bob's date is pretty accurate with the full body paint and all. I did order it with a few extras but nothing out of the ordinary. In the meantime, I am waiting on taking the driving exam for my non-commercial class A license here in California, since the unit is over 15k GVWR.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #16

Just be careful in CA where you tow. CHP's are known for enforcing GCWR's and you'll be way over on your SRW. (I hear they camp outside Glamis routinely and look for SRW's towing triaxles.) As far as I know, CA and sometimes TX are the only two states to check non commercial rigs for weight and fine. I don't worry about it as I never go to either state but since you live there...
Old 01-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #17

Just ordered a 2016 Thunderbolt 375amp XLR

21k gross on an srw!!

Give'r!

I'm not trying to start anything, or being the " weight police" but cmon.

You will be over your gross,
Empty trailer is really close to your max tow, etc.

That rig is 450 drw territory.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

2015 F350 6.7 Ext. Cab SB SRW towing XLR 340x12 HP (16k gross)... truck does great, but I don't believe I'd want to tow anything bigger with the SRW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150330_144307.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	97345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150315_191632.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	97346  
2012 HD Ultra Classic
MN John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #19

Okay guys! Where shall I begin. First of all I am a law enforcement officer here in California. The CHP does not care about GVWR when it comes to a non commercial rig. The only thing they care about is Rear tire capacity. Stickers that pertain to weight found on a vehicle is only there for the purpose of registration according to the CHP. At most, all they will do is weigh your rear axle and if it comes under the total tire capacity, you will be good to go as a non commercial rig. Trust me! In regards to insurance, they will not decline a claim that involves someone over GCWR. Testing has to be done to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the accident was caused by someone being over GCWR. Also as for large grossing non commercial rigs, such as this, the CHP will pull over to check for non commercial class A licenses. Only 10% of drivers who tow a fiver over 15K gross actually have a non commercial class A. The stories you hear about impounds are actually for people who don't have the proper license, not for towing over GCWR. GCWR is important for commercial drivers because the CHP then has to enforce DOT laws. This is straight from the CHP Mobile Road Enforcement officers who check weights and the Sacramento office. IF you get pulled over and you are under your rear tire capacity, and have the proper licensing, you are good!

Also think about this, what if a truck that is not towing, is carrying a load of bricks that puts it above the trucks GVWR, but he has airbags to level it out. Would the CHP even look twice? Nope! Exactly!

Now my pin weight dry and my rear axle loaded up with fuel and family will still be way below my rear tire capacity. Loading up the rear, like Karl4Cat stated, will actually drop your pin somewhat.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #20

If that's the case Joe, then yes you'll be fine. My pin is well under my rear axle and tire ratings. I know the rules about tire and axle are the only ones that are important but have read numerous times that CA plays by a different set of rules. Glad to hear that's wrong.

Tags
xlr