Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Leaking Grey Water Tanks 29HFS

Got to take my 2017 29HFS out for the first time this weekend, trip went great, highly enjoyed the camper. After our 4hr trip home we pulled in to drain the tanks and water was dripping rather steadily out of the under belly covering where the plumbing comes out for the front and rear grey water tanks. So we drained the unit, hooked up the hose for the black water tank flush and water comes pouring out of the inside of wheel well. So we have a couple leaks after only 1 trip which is a bummer, dealer purchased from is 3 hours away and local dealers wont service me till winter. (closest xlr dealer is 2 hours away). Anyone else ever have troubles with these leaks? They didn't seam to leak at all while camping as tank levels never went down. Kinda bummed since I cant use the unit more then a glorified tent until water issues get fixed, all the insulation is wet in the underbelly of the unit as well.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

you need to take down the plastic underbelly and and see what's up . in an afternoon you can fix yourself . the only insulation i know of under a 29xlr would be the reflective bubble wrap type . and that's if you have the 4 season package . if not there is 0 insulation under there .

Old 06-24-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you need to take down the plastic underbelly and and see what's up . in an afternoon you can fix yourself . the only insulation i know of under a 29xlr would be the reflective bubble wrap type . and that's if you have the 4 season package . if not there is 0 insulation under there .
I think I'm going to take it down tomorrow and try, not much room under there since its right under the axles. Mine has the reflective insulation and it does in fact have normal insulation I partially took down the underbelly the other day to see if I could see in there.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #4

guess they started adding the fiberglass insulation . i'll bet you just have some loose fittings and minor issues . the rear grey tank can be a pain but can access from the back by the gas tank . i dropped my underbelly completely when i bought my unit . no insulation at all . i did add 2" foam board in all the places i could get it into and wrapped the tanks in the reflective bubble insulation . while under there I also secured all wiring , tank fitting , water lines secured and insulated , the when re-installing underbelly i use foam spray along the edge then screwed into place again adding extra screws and then silicone all around the edges and any holes through frame even though the foam was there . not worried about critters getting in at all and sealed up nicely
Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
guess they started adding the fiberglass insulation . i'll bet you just have some loose fittings and minor issues . the rear grey tank can be a pain but can access from the back by the gas tank . i dropped my underbelly completely when i bought my unit . no insulation at all . i did add 2" foam board in all the places i could get it into and wrapped the tanks in the reflective bubble insulation . while under there I also secured all wiring , tank fitting , water lines secured and insulated , the when re-installing underbelly i use foam spray along the edge then screwed into place again adding extra screws and then silicone all around the edges and any holes through frame even though the foam was there . not worried about critters getting in at all and sealed up nicely
Sounds good thanks for the tips, did you find any spray insulation that wasn't off white in color? That's all I can find, I would rather have the gray/black color that doesn't stick out.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

Old 06-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

i used great stuff and then when dried anything that could be seen i painted with black spray paint
Old 06-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #8

you can see the wires are a mess under there and plenty to do to make this area better then stock
Old 06-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #9

Grey water leak

Had a similar problem on my 2016 2604s. The dealer found that there was a clamp, similar to a hose clamp, that was not tight enough to make a seal and was allowing grey water to make its way down the discharge pipe from the tank to the gate valve. Dealer tightened clamp and leak disappears.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #10

I have used Great Stuff successfully to seal areas under cabinets where piping and wires cone into unit from underside. Have concern against mice and other crawling critters. I used the Great Stuff with the fire retardant from HD, comes out pink. Seems to handle the paint rated for pvc better. Some spray paint will partially melt the spray foam.

Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 11
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water, leak, tank, water, water tank