Old 06-16-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

I have always just turned the water heater off since it doesn't take too long to heat up anyways. There is no safety reason that you couldn't just keep the thing running if you wanted to, it is personal preference.

David & Janet
2015, GMC 1500, Z71, 5.3L, 3:42
2016 Vibe 268RKS

Old 06-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #12

I have a 10 gallon propane and electric WH. I can get enough hot water for a shower in about 10 minutes by using both power sources. I just turn them on when I first wake up, then start my coffee maker, then prep breakfast. In 10 minutes, I take my shower, then shut off the WH. There is enough hot water left for any dish washing chores.

Keep in mind that water heaters are poorly insulated, and add heat to the inside of your RV as long as they are running. In A/C weather, it's like turning on both your A/C and heater and letting them fight it out.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Depends a lot on whether you are on battery power or shore power. Regardless of supply, we turn ours on when we anticipate taking showers, washing dishes, etc.; then shut it off again. Just conserving where we can.
X2 We always turn it off until about a half hour before needing hot water. If you need it faster, turn on the gas heat also. Much faster heat up!
Why leave it on if you don't need it? Never had a water heater go out on me in all my years of RVing. They only run for so long.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I have a 10 gallon propane and electric WH. I can get enough hot water for a shower in about 10 minutes by using both power sources. I just turn them on when I first wake up, then start my coffee maker, then prep breakfast. In 10 minutes, I take my shower, then shut off the WH. There is enough hot water left for any dish washing chores.

Keep in mind that water heaters are poorly insulated, and add heat to the inside of your RV as long as they are running. In A/C weather, it's like turning on both your A/C and heater and letting them fight it out.
I opened my cabinet that contains both my water heater and converter last week for the first time I can remember. I was amazed at just how hot it was in there. Scary Hot!
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansinBean View Post
Hello, I am just getting used to my XLR toy hauler. Sorry if this question has already been answered, but it is something I am curious about and do not want to waste any excess energy in my trailer.

My question:

I am in and out of my trailer for a few days on and off. I am curious, do you leave your water heater on if you are going for a couple days or turn it off and then back on every time?
Does it really matter well yes and no who is paying the bill . whenever I leave the camper for more then a few hours I always turn off the water heater and water supply I don't want a leak to pop up
Old 06-17-2016, 08:13 AM   #16

Off would be my suggestion,,, but then we never leave home for more than a day or two that I turn Well Pump off, put the W/H on vacation, unplug the W/S, coffee pot and so on !!! Even the garage door opener is unplugged !!!
IF YOU DON'T NEED,,, WHY LEAVE IT ON ???

Tags
heater, water, water heater