Old 06-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #1
CUZISA2

License Plates

Got a question for my fellow campers. We live in Illinois and have a Ford F250 and are hauling the XLR Thunderbolt. The camper is under 11000lbs without our motorcycles. The DMV gave us plates for the camper based on the weight plus our bikes. Here's the question, a friend of mine just told me that my truck plates are now wrong because they are for 8000lbs or less. Since I haul a camper he said you need plates for the larger load. I don't believe this is correct since this is recreational and not for commercial use. Did any of you living in Illinois get different truck plates when you got your camper?

Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
Got a question for my fellow campers. We live in Illinois and have a Ford F250 and are hauling the XLR Thunderbolt. The camper is under 11000lbs without our motorcycles. The DMV gave us plates for the camper based on the weight plus our bikes. Here's the question, a friend of mine just told me that my truck plates are now wrong because they are for 8000lbs or less. Since I haul a camper he said you need plates for the larger load. I don't believe this is correct since this is recreational and not for commercial use. Did any of you living in Illinois get different truck plates when you got your camper?
I can't speak for Illinois, but in Missouri the law says you have to license your tow vehicle for the maximum load that you will carry, haul or tow. So, we used to run 12,000 lb plates on our half-ton Silverado. With the heavier 2500HD pulling our 3008W Windjammer, the entire rig, ready to camp, scales out at just over 15,000 pounds, and we had to go to 18,000 pound plates...even though it is for non-commercial use.

BTW, when you go to 18,000 pound or higher plates in Missouri, you only get one plate and it is to be displayed on the FRONT of the tow vehicle because, in theory, you will be towing all the time, and the plate could not be seen with a trailer in the way.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:51 PM   #3

I'm guessing your truck is a diesel so it probably weights over 7,000 pounds empty. Now add the weight of your 5th wheel hitch (200?) and the 2,640 pounds pin weight of the trailer and you're way over the 8000 pounds on your registration. You really need to weigh the truck and trailer together because you may also be over the 10,000 pound GVWR that is the usual max for 2500 series trucks. You may also be over the rear axle weight rating.

Another thing to consider is your driver's license. The trailer Gross weight rating is 16,581 pounds, add that to the truck's GVWR (10,000 pounds) and you're over the 26,001 pounds allowed on a standard driver's license. Most states require an "R" or RV endorsement for rigs this big, I know New York does.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Your friend is probably right. The state police should know the rules since they would be the ones writing you a ticket. Call them and ask.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #5

My truck is licensed at the weight of the truck. My trailer is licensed at the weight of the trailer. I live in IL and if both are registered as required, there is no problem. When you tow, you have two separate vehicles, both licensed at their weights.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETCHIEF View Post
My truck is licensed at the weight of the truck. My trailer is licensed at the weight of the trailer. I live in IL and if both are registered as required, there is no problem. When you tow, you have two separate vehicles, both licensed at their weights.
Yes, the truck and the trailer are separate plates. Also if you go through the open road electronic toll booths up north, the camera's will see your trailer and charge you per axle, there is no need to register the trailer.

Once you get your trailer plate, you're done so just leave the truck plate alone.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
CUZISA2

RETCHIEF, that's what I was thinking. Two separate that are both licensed for their weight.

wbdavey, we did check the trucks tow capacity before purchasing and we are within our limit for truck weight and camper. Did a ton of research on this because I was worried about weight of camper for the diesel 250. We based our purchase on weight so we wouldn't max the truck.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
Did any of you living in Illinois get different truck plates when you got your camper?

X2 to RETCHIEF's comment.

Illinoisan ( Coulterville area ) here as well. When I purchased my plates ( actually I transferred them from my Pop Up ) for the HTT, all I was asked was the UVW weight of them as it sits. And as for my Truck Plates, they are just standard B Plates. No upgrading needed.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
phat phrog stunt crew

Also from illinois, and I'm running b plates on a 3/4 ton silverado duramax. Dmv said I was good to go when I registered it. I know a couple illinois state cops, and they tell me they have other things to worry about than try to read whether you have a b or d plate while towing. Besides, a b plate is considerably cheaper than a d plate.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

Missed the part about the trailer. Yeah, they charge by weight of trailer for registration initially, but its still only 50 bucks to renew. Well, at least for now anyway.