Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

likely buying a xlr27 hyperlite..couple questions.

So i have been browsing this forum for a few weeks, as well as the work n' play forum... The 2 toy haulers i am seriously considering. I have swayed more to the xlr27 though for the very nice living area, and the cargo area will due for a couple dirt bikes.

I live in VERY hot Florida, and wonder if the 15k ac is an option ($125 extra?) worth doing? saw someone post that they had to put fans in the bathroom doorways to distribute cool to the cargo area in the heat of the day? looking like the 15k option may be needed down here. 10x had asked about the 15k ac but i didn't see replies to that, he's in Tampa as well.

Witch brings my next question.. i already own a nice honda EU6500 (quiet) generator, but would have to drag it out each time i camp.. For those that have the onboard onan4000, just how "quiet" are those ? Does it keep you up at night considering it is right below the bedroom??

I also saw some folks posting about running two eu2000 gens in tandem, or a 3000wt generator, but that it is just barely enough. especially if you use the microwave with the ac on. So perhaps 4k is what is really the minimum? thoughts on that.

lastly, hoping the info i am seeing posted about all later models coming with the 4400 lb axles now, NOT the 3500lb axles is correct. That anything under construction now or recently built, are all on 4400lb axles.
I am going to call Darrin who is our Southeast forest river XLR regional rep to discuss this monday. His # is 888-993-6688 for any interested.

Thanks !
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

I have the Onan on board gen set on my sand storm and it is located right under our front bed. Although it is quiet out side, because it is in the camper when in the bedroom area it is some what loud but is easy to get used to when in the camper doing other things. There is no way that I would think you could leave it on and be able to sleep all night. My wife has been able to take a nap with it on to keep the Ac on. But with all that said the on board gen was a must for me because we 99% of the time boon dock camp so it is very convenient for us. It is a expensive upgrade but well worth for us. If you think you will need to use a generator often I would recommend getting it on board it makes everything so much easier.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
I have the Onan on board gen set on my sand storm and it is located right under our front bed. Although it is quiet out side, because it is in the camper when in the bedroom area it is some what loud but is easy to get used to when in the camper doing other things. There is no way that I would think you could leave it on and be able to sleep all night. My wife has been able to take a nap with it on to keep the Ac on. But with all that said the on board gen was a must for me because we 99% of the time boon dock camp so it is very convenient for us. It is a expensive upgrade but well worth for us. If you think you will need to use a generator often I would recommend getting it on board it makes everything so much easier.

appreciate the reply.. It sounds like you camp a bunch, and i have family in Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, etc. so i could see how you do not need the generator on at night out west (don't think any of my family even has AC in their homes..LOL)
here in FL where I would camp for offroad dirt bike races, it could still be quite humid at night. So running a generator all night for AC will be a must +-9 months of the year. That said, I wouldn't be using the TT but once or twice a month and we don't run races in the summer months. Perphaps i will have to "rough-it" and drag the eu6500 out for the times i camp unless i can strap it to the battery tray on the tongue ?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...c-20623-2.html

and found this thread on AC usage and generators to be helpful.. looks like i will for sure bring the eu6500 that rolls out, or decide on the onboard Onan4k .
Old 03-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post

appreciate the reply.. It sounds like you camp a bunch, and i have family in Cheyenne, Casper, Sheridan, etc. so i could see how you do not need the generator on at night out west (don't think any of my family even has AC in their homes..LOL)
here in FL where I would camp for offroad dirt bike races, it could still be quite humid at night. So running a generator all night for AC will be a must +-9 months of the year. That said, I wouldn't be using the TT but once or twice a month and we don't run races in the summer months. Perphaps i will have to "rough-it" and drag the eu6500 out for the times i camp unless i can strap it to the battery tray on the tongue ?
Yes I do camp a lot we got our camper the end of April and we used it every weekend until Labor Day weekend. We got 35 nights total in through the summer. The only time we needed our Ac was at the sand dunes it was hot. Other wise we were up in the mountains most of the time. But since we couldn't have fires here in wyo all summers we did watch quite a few movies when it was to cold to sit outside so the generator got used quite a bit. We also used it when we took showers it would run the pump better for better pressure.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

We special ordered ours with the generator and extreme package and think it is the only way to go. However, I think sleeping in the back beds, which we do in Texas, would be your best bet in Florida. One, the cargo area is very dark and you can really cool it off. Two, the beds are a true queen size in the rear. 3. You can sleep all night and the generator won't bother you in the back. 4. We used 5/8" plywood to reinforce the bunks and because they are true queen size we added a 4" mattress topper........much more comfortable than the front. Just posted it for sale, actually, in the classifieds section of this forum. We also looked at Work n Play, but love the 27HFS because it has so much to offer and is much lighter than the Work n Play.
Trippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippster View Post
We special ordered ours with the generator and extreme package and think it is the only way to go. However, I think sleeping in the back beds, which we do in Texas, would be your best bet in Florida. One, the cargo area is very dark and you can really cool it off. Two, the beds are a true queen size in the rear. 3. You can sleep all night and the generator won't bother you in the back. 4. We used 5/8" plywood to reinforce the bunks and because they are true queen size we added a 4" mattress topper........much more comfortable than the front. Just posted it for sale, actually, in the classifieds section of this forum. We also looked at Work n Play, but love the 27HFS because it has so much to offer and is much lighter than the Work n Play.
sleeping in the back, interesting idea ! .. is the front bed not all that comfortable? i never even thought to ask what size the front bed is. I assumed it was a queen size.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #8

The front bed is queen in width, but shorter than standard to accommodate the shelf at the foot of the bed. I'm sure you are like the rest of us thinking the front bed would be great for overnight stops without having to unload the cargo area. It will certainly work for that, but for setup & teardown camping, it's nice to have the back bunks that just retract up and out of the way.

Other things to think about when towing.....don't leave the dining table setup. We take off the top and lay it on the memory foam mattress.....it doesn't move. Also, better to leave the interior doors closed so they aren't banging around.
Trippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #9

I have a new work and play 30 wr and the front bed is a true queen size ( 60" x 80"). I am not positive but if my memory isn't totally gone the salesman said that all the work and play's are using standard bed sizes now. I was very specific in this as I am 6'2" so the 80" length was critical. Plus I have some back issues and really need a memory foam mattress to sleep well. I ordered my work and play with no mattress and had a memory foam (mattressdr.com) waiting and ready in the back of my truck when I picked it up at the factory. I popped it out of the vacuum seal package and within 8 hours had the mattress ready for a good nights sleep on my way home.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #10

adding a nice real mattress would be ideal if the standard one sucks.. considering the $ spent, it's worth it for a good nights sleep ! At 5'8" it isn't critical it's a full queen size, but it would be nice if it was.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #11

No matter which trailer you get check on the bed size, I think most manufacturers are trying to use more standard size items. I am sure it is cheaper for them, and is definately easier for the consumer when purchasing sheets, comforters etc

Check out mattressdr.com , their products are knock off tempur-pedic products and very reasonable, I think $400 had my 10" memory foam on my door step next day. They ship nation wide for free. No I do not have anything to do with them, just a very satisfied customer for the last 8 years many times over. My daughter who is military got stationed in Oklahoma, needed a good nights sleep so dear old dad picked up the phone and sent her an early Christmas present, she has since had 4-5 of her friends order from them as well. We have them in our house, camper etc. and with 100% satisfaction. I could not afford a true tempur-pedic, and don't have to!!
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #12

here it is.. these TH are even nicer when you see them in person. Forest river thought of just about everything it would SEEM so far, but that remains to been seen as i have not used it yet. Still undecided on how i will like the onan gen right under the front bedroom, may end up bringing my EU6500 but will give it a try a few times. Tripster (Brent) brought it all the way from TX.
My Excursion tows it just fine but it is heavier than I would have expected. He towed it with a f150. Not sure that would be a bunch of fun honestly. The airbag system i have makes it really nice for keeping the rig level.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 04-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #13

Gratz man! When I saw his post I immediately went over to the classified but it was sold...you beat me to it!

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Dub View Post
Gratz man! When I saw his post I immediately went over to the classified but it was sold...you beat me to it!

V-Dub
i was wanting brand new, but i saved a few thousand $ and it really was sold as advertised. It looked and smelled like new.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #15

Me too...but there are rare cases like this where I'll consider a used unit because its not really used at all.

V-Dub
2012 Harley Davidson Street Glide CVO - V&H HO's & PC-V
V-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #16

Great minds think alike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
So i have been browsing this forum for a few weeks, as well as the work n' play forum... The 2 toy haulers i am seriously considering. I have swayed more to the xlr27 though for the very nice living area, and the cargo area will due for a couple dirt bikes.

I live in VERY hot Florida, and wonder if the 15k ac is an option ($125 extra?) worth doing? saw someone post that they had to put fans in the bathroom doorways to distribute cool to the cargo area in the heat of the day? looking like the 15k option may be needed down here. 10x had asked about the 15k ac but i didn't see replies to that, he's in Tampa as well.

Witch brings my next question.. i already own a nice honda EU6500 (quiet) generator, but would have to drag it out each time i camp.. For those that have the onboard onan4000, just how "quiet" are those ? Does it keep you up at night considering it is right below the bedroom??

I also saw some folks posting about running two eu2000 gens in tandem, or a 3000wt generator, but that it is just barely enough. especially if you use the microwave with the ac on. So perhaps 4k is what is really the minimum? thoughts on that.

lastly, hoping the info i am seeing posted about all later models coming with the 4400 lb axles now, NOT the 3500lb axles is correct. That anything under construction now or recently built, are all on 4400lb axles.
I am going to call Darrin who is our Southeast forest river XLR regional rep to discuss this monday. His # is 888-993-6688 for any interested.

Thanks !
Melk-man,

I am on a very similar path to you. I have been looking at this trailer and the work and play. Have reached the same conclusions that you have. The wife and I are in shopping mode now. We are trying to determine the best price and also the best configuration.

From reading here I think you have the options that we are considering i.e. the extreme package, 15K AC & Onan generator. So I would like to ask some questions,

1. Do you feel that the additional insulation helps keep the trailer quieter?
2. Does the additional insulation and 15K AC defeat the humidity and high temps of Florida? We are in Alabama and experience similar humidity and temperatures.
3. Will the Onan handle all the loads in the trailer? AC, HW Heater, Microwave, Heater, Etc.?
4. Has the addition of padding around the generator box helped make the noise bearable?
5. What was the answer on the axles?

Unfortunately we do not have a dealer close that has a unit I can go look at. The nearest dealer with a unit on the lot is in Anniston AL, about 1.5 hours away. So I am really glad I found this forum and you guys are likely more knowledgeable on the specific product than most salesmen.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #17

i would say for sure do the 15k ac. Brad, the SE xlr rep, is trying to make it mandatory that all xlr27hfs units that come down here (warmer states) get the 15k ac.
I don't know how much more beneficial the EP additional insulation and double windows make the unit, but it does add 800lb or so. I got my unit barely a couple months old, and the guy i got it from did a ton of research and built it new for Texas.. I would say the insulation would be more of a benefit for the cold in my opinion, but the 15k ac is a must. For such a small price, why not.
The 4k onan gen has had zero issues with the ac going, all the lights, micro, water heater, etc.
I have only used it 3 times, and didn't have to run the gen at night yet. i could tell a difference with the additional pillows and blankets around the box under the bed, but the guy i got it from put a nice memory foam pad on the rear bunk and planned to sleep back there.. and have the kids sleep up front.
even if you don't get the onan generator, i would consider spending the $750 to get the gen prep. it gets you the 30gal gas tank, and you can not buy that later..as well as all the wiring for the gen which again, ya can't do after the fact.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #18

Thanks Melk-man! Do you know if the units come with 4400# rated axles? i can't find any info on the axle rating on the FR website.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #19

according to Brad, all these units come with the 4400lb axles for awhile now. It was a short run of them that came with the smaller ones. big mistake obviously.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
Old 07-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Thanks Melk-man! Do you know if the units come with 4400# rated axles? i can't find any info on the axle rating on the FR website.
Yes - all the 27HFS now comes with 4,400# axles
Guest6789 is offline   Reply With Quote