Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #21

2011 xlr23fbv

I was researching fixes for ramp doors when I came across this post. Glad I found it actually, as now I have joined the site. Anyway, while loading my 2009 Road Glide up on Sunday, I noticed that the framing of the ramp came away from the fiberglass. I will go take pictures today, after seeing some of the reply's, I know I am not the first to run into issues. Is there a fix, besides having to buy another ramp door? Any help would be appreciated, as I want to get it resealed before water intrusion takes place.
Karl G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl G View Post
I was researching fixes for ramp doors when I came across this post. Glad I found it actually, as now I have joined the site. Anyway, while loading my 2009 Road Glide up on Sunday, I noticed that the framing of the ramp came away from the fiberglass. I will go take pictures today, after seeing some of the reply's, I know I am not the first to run into issues. Is there a fix, besides having to buy another ramp door? Any help would be appreciated, as I want to get it resealed before water intrusion takes place.
Could the ramp be flexing under the weight of the typical bike and cause the seal to be compromised and failure? I just can't believe that thin fiberglass, thin plywood, and styrofoam however bonded, while spanning that distance could be expected to hold up.
ww

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #23

On mine, of the three hinge bolts that attach the hinges to the ramp door..... only one bolt on each attaches to the sandwich of the door material.
The other two bolts on each hinge are connected to air..... the inside is hollow with nothing inside . The nuts are not able to clamp the hinges to the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474932284699.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	121405   Click image for larger version

Name:	1474932331597.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	121406  
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #24

I'm trying to figure out how to post images. Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not much of a forum guy. As soon as I figure it out, I'll post pics.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #25

If anyone is a mac user and knows how to convert photos over to be used here, please let me know. I tried copy and paste...didn't work.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl G View Post
If anyone is a mac user and knows how to convert photos over to be used here, please let me know. I tried copy and paste...didn't work.
Use Dropbox. Easy, fast and free. It doesn't care if you use a Mac or an off brand.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #27

door pictures

Here is a brand new door (my 2nd). You can see the deflection from the weight of the door on the pitifully short hinges. How can you keep something that moves this much sealed?

My doors came with six springs. The door would hang in the air, almost parallel to the ground. I took 3 springs off. The door will now go to the ground and it isn't too hard to raise and lower. I also added reinforcements to the inside and outside of the door. I feel confident that I have my hinge issues whipped.

Lippert has been very good to me regarding my door problems. However, my trailer has been in the shop more than 6 weeks each time (dealer examination, exchange of pictures and information with Lippert, manufacture and shipping of the door, door installation). This design for toyhauler ramp doors is not working. Sadly, they seem to be on all new toyhaulers.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #28

Did the replacement door have material inside (not hollow) around the perimeter of the door including all bolts to the hinges. In other words are the hinges connecting to something other than air on all three bolts per hinge.
Cow Bell
Old 10-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #29

#27 Andy
That is nice work ... looks very good. Lippert should hire you for consultation work!
My door (29HFS ... slightly smaller) only had 3 springs, seems to be sprung correctly and isn't twisting the bottom "rail", like your was. But, the center of the door (even while only stepping on it is getting soft... delaminating, I suppose).
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpence1 View Post
Did the replacement door have material inside (not hollow) around the perimeter of the door including all bolts to the hinges. In other words are the hinges connecting to something other than air on all three bolts per hinge.

NO. I had a discussion with Lippert about this. Each corner is supposed to have a "key" that is glued in to the aluminum extrusion, effectively making the door the same as if it were one piece. The Lippert engineer says if the door is assembled right, it will not fail. D@mn engineers. Here is a drawing I made of what I believe is a cross section of the door.

Orange is the foam board core, green is the bolts, black is the hinge, gray is the aluminum extrusion

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
NO. I had a discussion with Lippert about this. Each corner is supposed to have a "key" that is glued in to the aluminum extrusion, effectively making the door the same as if it were one piece. The Lippert engineer says if the door is assembled right, it will not fail. D@mn engineers. Here is a drawing I made of what I believe is a cross section of the door.

Orange is the foam board core, green is the bolts, black is the hinge, gray is the aluminum extrusion
If it was made right? If hundreds of them were made right! If this many have failed and I believe there is, I don't think dozens of employees are the culprit, maybe get an engineer that know more than "glue".
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 10-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #32

Clamp the hinges to air..... what's it going to do expect the thin exterior fiberglass to carry the mechanical load when opening or closing and when loading or unloading something.
Question is when it will fail ?
Who will be hurt ?
Cow Bell

Tags
door