Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Loading clearance questions

So I have been rebuilding my 07 zx14r that is factory height and it has taken me some time to do. I have a 2012 XLT 27hfs hyper lite. My questions are aimed at the guys or girls who have a low riding street bike like mine who have a similar trailer as I do. I don't know if the the bike will bottom out when I go load/unload it. I haven't got it back together enough to test this and it will be a few more months before I can, so this is why I am asking in here. I am going to Nashville bike week later this year, loading it at my house won't be a issue because of how the trailer sits in the yard, I just worry about when I get there if it will clear. I have a few ideas how to fix the issue if it comes up but I either want to have the materials on hand to fix it without jacking the the tongue sky high. I have looked on here and not had to much luck because most are cruisers and very few street bikes and none are 7ft long(best guess) and 1400cc. Any advice or suggestions? Or am I just going to have to test this when I get the bike back together to and test it out? Thanks in advance for the advice.
thekid0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #2

Don't have a bike or toy hauler....
But... Most here will put blocks under ramp and fab extension ramps for clearance issues.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid0311 View Post
So I have been rebuilding my 07 zx14r that is factory height and it has taken me some time to do. I have a 2012 XLT 27hfs hyper lite. My questions are aimed at the guys or girls who have a low riding street bike like mine who have a similar trailer as I do. I don't know if the the bike will bottom out when I go load/unload it. I haven't got it back together enough to test this and it will be a few more months before I can, so this is why I am asking in here. I am going to Nashville bike week later this year, loading it at my house won't be a issue because of how the trailer sits in the yard, I just worry about when I get there if it will clear. I have a few ideas how to fix the issue if it comes up but I either want to have the materials on hand to fix it without jacking the the tongue sky high. I have looked on here and not had to much luck because most are cruisers and very few street bikes and none are 7ft long(best guess) and 1400cc. Any advice or suggestions? Or am I just going to have to test this when I get the bike back together to and test it out? Thanks in advance for the advice.
you just have to crank up the tongue to decrease the ramp angle
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

TK, I have a 29HFS and a Thunderbird 1600... the garage is a foot longer but other than that, our TH ramps / floor height / garage are the same... and my bike can and has scraped bottom, but with the bike's rear suspension on its highest preload setting and my butt off the seat at the critical junctor, it doesn't.

The trailer should be level and on level ground... if I need more I simply raise the tongue. I don't know why you don't want to do this. Doing so, is more effective that blocking the ramp and adding extensions, but that is possible...which means fabrication and / or carrying other stuff with you.... keep in mind, the ground end of the ramp must be supported well... the ramp isn't all that strong.

Also, if you have a set up portable ramps, you might be able to use them from ground to up onto the ramp... have a set but never needed to anyway.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

On my toy hauler, putting my ex-wife's (ya, friendly now) Harley sportster low in and out will scrap. I jack up the front some and use the lego leveling blocks on the end of the ramp to lessen the angle. Have even continued the blocks that are holding the ramp up a little to build a ramp at the end. Couple of inches here and there does it.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #6

I scrape with my 27HFS. I hadn't thought of changing the tongue angle. I'll have to try that.
lytlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid0311 View Post
MY bike is 8' long and 2053cc and lowered 1" i raise the tongue while hooked to the truck so it's not sky hi and works like a charm
Old 03-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses guys. I have the Lego style leveling pads in the trailer in case I need them but it sounds like I will be able to load and unload with carrying anything extra with me. Thank you for all the advice and suggestions.
thekid0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

At the Sturgis Rally last year I did see someone use his pickup unloaded the bike from his toy hauler into his pickup then took it to the campsite loading ramp and unload the bike off the truck, when he packed up he did the opposite.
wrsmsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsmsgt View Post
At the Sturgis Rally last year I did see someone use his pickup unloaded the bike from his toy hauler into his pickup then took it to the campsite loading ramp and unload the bike off the truck, when he packed up he did the opposite.
That's a lot of work !
Old 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #11

I've loaded a Victory Cross Country, Suzuki Volusia, Harley Street Bob and a Street Glide in the back of my Nitro and have yet to have a scraping issue
Psykokustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:57 PM   #12

Check out "Race Ramps" at Amazon, or go to their website for a video.
Dodge Ram 2500 HD Cummins
2018 Ultra Limited
HyperCamp is offline   Reply With Quote