Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
acm

Loading Quads 27HFS???

Hi all,

New here and new to toyhaulers, I'm looking hard at the 27HFS, Till now I've hauled our 2 Yamaha 450 quads on rack in bed of truck and pulled our TT. I really like the weight of the 27HFS, the separate garage and layout in general. I have only looked online, haven't found one on a lot even many hours away yet. Here's my question, anyone with this model load 2 quads side by side? The math seem to work, though it looks like a pretty tight fit.

Thanks
acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #2

Yes, they fit.

One trip we even crammed 2 raptor 250's and 2 raptor 660's in the 27HFS we used to have.
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
acm

Thanks for the input. Nice to know that the narrower body HyperLite will work for us vs the wider models which I'm also considering. Wrapping up a years long project in a couple weeks and will take a road trip and check some out in person. Any negatives on the 27HFS other than the typical minor things that always seem to pop up?
Old 11-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #4

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1061326-the-camper-thread-pulling-using-equipment-maintenance-5.html

Take a look at the picture in post 68 in the link above. That was my setup, and I think will help explain my comments.

I used this setup for 22 months and logged around 5,000 miles with it.
1. Some 27hfs come with 3500lb axles and some come with 5000lb. Get the 5000lb axles. My toyhaulers tires lightly rubbed the inside of the body and was something I kept an eye on. (Never a serious issue) I read the guys with 5000lb axles don't have this issue.
2. The toy hauler is freaking tall. (See pic in link) towing this thing at highway speeds loaded up takes some power. If your going to travel a lot of highway miles I don't suggest using one of the lower powered half ton truck like I started with. (Even if the truck says it has a 9000lb tow rating like mine did).
3. I had an earlier model before they started selling the ones with the second door into the garage area. We wished ours had that to keep the front clean.
4. There is not much room for firewood/fuel cans/tools/etc. When I went from a truck to Excursion we missed the truck bed.
5. The body behind the tow vehicle started showing wear first. Dented up the paper thin aluminum diamond plate pretty quick. So mud flaps on the tow vehicle would be a good idea.
6. It would have been nice to have a blackwater flush on the 27hfs, as I was always having issues with the blackwater tank readout on ours.

Overall the quality of ours was pretty good for the price of the unit. The ducted hvac in the garage was nice as our kids slept back there on the bunk with a queen air mattress on the floor below it.

Also the garage will be tight. Don't think you will drive both 450s in there. You drive the first one in, move it an inch off the wall and roll the next one in. Strapping down is like playing Twister.

Hope this helps
6inthefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
acm

Thanks so much for taking the time, this is really helpfully. Good food for thought. Pics of your rig really put the size of unit in perspective. Our current TT about the same length, but the extra height really makes a difference. I'm not really too concerned with our tow vehicle, 07 Ram diesel, 12,750 listed tow capacity, but we tend to do cross country travel and the lighter the better.
Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

I'm assuming the XLR is 96" wide. If so, I would HIGHLY recommend trying to put the quads in there before you buy.

We used to have a Cyclone and it was 102". We could fit two sport quads in side by side but they were touching tires. The 96" is exterior width. Most sport quads are around 48" wide. Do the math for the interior measurements. My bet would be "no" but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

I'm also assuming you're talking sport quads. If they are utility quads, I assume they're even wider.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
acm

Sports quads, yes. I'm definitely going to consider wide models and all sorts of configurations before I buy. Really like the idea of the garage. Having never owned a toy hauler I only assume that there are occasional gas spills etc. that I'd rather keep out of living quarters. I know that hauling on truck rack I'll get some gas leakage when quad tanks are full. Lot of TH out there without garage, so this obviously not something that can't be dealt with. Lot of variables to consider. Quality of construction, weight, water capacity and general layout. Nice to have these forums to hear from those who have owned.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

I love having the separate garage. Not just fumes but mud and dirt as well. The garages almost always come with a different flooring made to be pressure washed or scrubbed out.

But the cool thing is, the garages are so nice, you can easily turn them into the dining area or a sleeping area when the quads aren't in there. I also like keeping my quad inside at night. I sleep so much better knowing someone can't walk off with it because its in the camper sleeping with me.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

We had a 2014 27HFS and carried two LTZ 400 suzukis and a weber grill in the garage.. Put one in backwards and the other forward.. You can drive both in..