Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #1

Loading Question

I was wondering if there was a proper way to load a golf cart into my 27HFS? Does it matter if it is hooked to the tow vehicle? Or if the stabilizer jacks are down? I though about loading it with the stabilizer jacks down, and not hooked to the tow vehicle, but after thinking about it more, I was curious if it may damage the jacks. It has been setting on a seasonal site since July, and I have never loaded the cart into it as of yet, since the cart was already on site when I parked the camper. Just don't want to damage something by not loading it correctly!

Thanks in advance for your advice!
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmac1964
I was wondering if there was a proper way to load a golf cart into my 27HFS? Does it matter if it is hooked to the tow vehicle? Or if the stabilizer jacks are down? I though about loading it with the stabilizer jacks down, and not hooked to the tow vehicle, but after thinking about it more, I was curious if it may damage the jacks. It has been setting on a seasonal site since July, and I have never loaded the cart into it as of yet, since the cart was already on site when I parked the camper. Just don't want to damage something by not loading it correctly!

Thanks in advance for your advice!
I don't think I'd rely on the stab jacks.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I don't think I'd rely on the stab jacks.
Would it be any different than 3 or 4 people standing in the ramp doorway? Besides, it's only a momentary load before it is partially loading the trailer suspension also.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc

Would it be any different than 3 or 4 people standing in the ramp doorway? Besides, it's only a momentary load before it is partially loading the trailer suspension also.
Driving a vehicle up the ramp and over the threshold is much different than a few people just standing there imo.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Driving a vehicle up the ramp and over the threshold is much different than a few people just standing there imo.
The only difference is if the trailer is not blocked from going forward or backward and puts a twisting moment on the jacks. Load wise, no difference. 800# of humans vs 800# of cart.

I would hook the trailer up, set the emergency brake, leave it out of park or better yet, have someone in the vehicle with it in neutral holding the brake and retract the jacks.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

Do the brakes not "Fail On?" In other words if they're not hooked up are the brakes on or off?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepsych View Post
Do the brakes not "Fail On?" In other words if they're not hooked up are the brakes on or off?
If they are not hooked up and the emergency pin is in, the brakes are OFF. If the emergency pin is out and your trailer battery is charged, the brakes are ON. Pulling the pin and leaving it out will damage the magnets if left out for a prolonged period of time.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #8

I appreciate all of the advice!

Just for the record, I would probably never pull the emergency brake pin, since I have heard it can damage the emergency brake system! And I also have no plans of hitting the ramp at full speed when I load my cart. It would be put on as easy as possible, so I have no doubt that the chocks would keep the trailer in place. I was just curious what not to do, from people that have experience with the matter! I will make sure to only load it when I am hooked to my tow vehicle.

Thanks again!
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #9

Don,
To be safe hook to the tow vehicle.
If I want to load the quad into the toyhauler when I an not connected to the tow vehicle, I place a 3 ton hydraulic jack at the rear on the frame, one on each side.
For the extra few minutes it takes, it gives me peace of mind.