Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #1

Locking knobs on awning arms wont stay locked

Used our new XLR toyhauler for the first time last week-end and we were unable to use the awning. Every time a bit of wind came up the locking knobs allowed the arms to slide back to the highest position. We were worried the awning would be damaged. Anybody else have this problem? I know awning tie downs would be a solution but we'd rather not use them if there is another solution.
wendypf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:01 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypf View Post
Used our new XLR toyhauler for the first time last week-end and we were unable to use the awning. Every time a bit of wind came up the locking knobs allowed the arms to slide back to the highest position. We were worried the awning would be damaged. Anybody else have this problem? I know awning tie downs would be a solution but we'd rather not use them if there is another solution.
No other solution.
Oc's awning brackets and a set of poles.
Welcome to the forum.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Do you have a tightening knob that holds the sliding bar together? I would suggest a double star washer. Maybe one between the slot bar and the awning bar also.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Do you have a tightening knob that holds the sliding bar together? I would suggest a double star washer. Maybe one between the slot bar and the awning bar also.
Placing a star washer between the (Sliding Alum.Arms) would be a No No! For Many reasons! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendypf View Post
After collapsing the strut to the desired position I have to over tighten the locking knob quite a bit for it to hold but it does hold. There is only a small square piece of metal inside the tube that the knob screws into to draw the square down against the adjusting arm. Not very efficient but a longer piece of metal (more area contact) would work better and that is what I am going to make and install.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #6

A spiral anchor (dog chain anchor) into the earth (where possible) at each end of the awning with a rope around the roller, works for me and the "dump feature" still functions. A rigid pipe would stop it from dumping; it seems to me.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
A dog chain spiral anchor at each end and a rope works for me and that way the "dump feature" still functions. A rigid pipe would stop it from dumping; it seems to me.
Just tilt the awning with the adjustable poles.
Just like you did the old manual awnings.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #8

Will that work if you're not there to do it?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
A rigid pipe would stop it from dumping; it seems to me.
I asked that same question and it would. You would just have to set one end lower.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Will that work if you're not there to do it?
Not there to do what?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

On the 2 electric awnings I've had(2008 & 2012, neither one of them would auto-dump even on the latest one with the adjustable arms. That's why I shortened the arm on the 08 and installed poles on the '12 and tilt it.

Auto dump is just not reliable. JMO.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:46 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Here's mine "tilted" for water run off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1431701187076.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	77006

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
On the 2 electric awnings I've had(2008 & 2012, neither one of them would auto-dump even on the latest one with the adjustable arms. That's why I shortened the arm on the 08 and installed poles on the '12 and tilt it.

Auto dump is just not reliable. JMO.
And of course there are the ones, such as mine, that have never failed to auto dump even in horrific rain storms. One time I even had it adjusted to lower the entire awning and it auto dumped and then held the dump end lowered due to the adjuster being tightened. Go figure.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
And of course there are the ones, such as mine, that have never failed to auto dump even in horrific rain storms. One time I even had it adjusted to lower the entire awning and it auto dumped and then held the dump end lowered due to the adjuster being tightened. Go figure.
That's great, I'm glad it works for you, but I'll continue to rely on my old tried and tested method of tilting it with poles and tie downs.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #15

I had the same problem on my Primetime Lacrosse 327res. The knobs that come stock on it are so small you can't tighten them down enough and the least bit of wind would cause the awning to slide up.

I went to Camping world and found these:

Black Arm Knobs, set of 2 (for A&E and Dometic) - Dometic 930008 - Awning Accessories & Hardware - Camping World

(Make sure to get the correct ones for your awning mfr).

These are bigger than the ones that came with the awning and I can get enough tourque on them that the wind is no longer an issue!
U.P. North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:26 PM   #16
Canadian Member

OP's problem is the awning lifting up in the wind. Adding awning support arms and anchors will prevent lifting in the wind. In effect, you are creating a system like manual awnings that are no longer standard equipment. Just like with the manual awnings however, you need to be aware that you need to retract the awning when the wind gets too gusty or when you leave the site unattended for a while.

If the electric awning is tilted and set before being anchored, that allows water to run off the low side so you don't have to rely on the auto-dump feature.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
OP's problem is the awning lifting up in the wind. Adding awning support arms and anchors will prevent lifting in the wind. In effect, you are creating a system like manual awnings that are no longer standard equipment. Just like with the manual awnings however, you need to be aware that you need to retract the awning when the wind gets too gusty or when you leave the site unattended for a while.

If the electric awning is tilted and set before being anchored, that allows water to run off the low side so you don't have to rely on the auto-dump feature.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #18

The OP's problem is that the Knobs to tighten down the sliding arm can't tighten enough so when wind blows, the arm slides. The Knobs I suggested are bigger and you can get better tourque to tighten the sliding arm so when a breeze comes the arms don't slide.
U.P. North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #19

Oh Boy? youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #20

A quick thought, try using a nylon or thick rubber washer between the locking knob and the arm. Never use star washers on aluminum or other locking washers as they will gough the metal and ruin it. Nylon washers can be found in hardware of Home Depot or Lowes or on line. Get some extra to keep handy.
Happywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning