Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

Looking for experienced advice

My wife and I are in the process of buying a new FR 380AMP XLR Thunderbolt 5er toy hauler. Looking for owners of FR toy haulers and what they see as the advantages/disadvantages of their units. Have been visiting RV shows and dealers for the past 2 years and have narrowed our list to this unit and another manufacturer. Plan on using it for the first year or two for summer and fall camping and then going to 4 - 6 months after we retire. What are some of the best mods to do for our planned use? What have you found to be the most bothersome issues to deal with. Been lurking in the forums as a guest for a short while and haven't seen to much addressing these concerns. Thanks for your comments and happy camping. Flyman1
flyman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

I would repost this under Toy Haulers / XLR

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Moved to the XLR Toy hauler forum.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #4

Congrats on the new 380. Wife's been wanting one of those for some time, just can't make a reasonable deal on a trade. We currently have a 35x12. Some random thoughts- make sure you check how much trailer you have hanging over the back axle. There's a lot more trailer swinging back there- guy I camped next to in VA. wiped out a new 395 and part of the campground bath house on his first trip. It takes a lot of room to maneuver a 40+ foot trailer. Our current rig has a set of stairs inside to get up to the loft. With 4 grandkids that like sleeping up there I'm not a big fan of the ladders. The good part about it is on the outside where the steps are is a space for a small fridge. Any new rig, we'd have to somehow come up with this because it's just so convenient. I've seen pictures of units with paint and then owners put colored lights underneath to match the paint. Looks sharp at night. I would also recommend keeping an on the tires. I upgraded mine to load range G. The factory E's would be OK if you could always go in a straight line, but too much pivoting when trying to park just ruins the belts in them. Then you buzz down the highway and the tread flys off. There's also a thread on here about upgrading tank valves. With the back tank handle at the back axle of a 380 it may be something you want to check out.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote