Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #21

Had the same problem before the 5.7 tundra. I was only towing a 16' toy hauler, but it was a huge sail in the wind. I thought I was doing well by getting a "short" one, but wind resistance really is ur biggest enemy. I was towing it with my 2001 ford F150 2wd 5.4 supercrew. And, ur right, could not use the AC..... it was terrible. I drug my girlfriend to a lot off off-road motorcycle races.... and she did not like it. I don't think that truck would have pulled the 27hfs. But, as meandmylabs had said, most people need a daily driver, too. That why I went for the big tundra. Even though it works, I still would feel better with a "heavier" truck.
Funny you mentioned the "no AC" bit. What terrible memories.... lol!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #22

Using the expedition to tow my bass boat, the a/c works fine but drags down the power but not enough that it isn't effective. Camper on the other hand...... I can hear the expedition make grunting sounds every time we take off from a stop light with the a/c on.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #23

That grunting noise you hear is probably your clutch fan kicking on. Big power loss when that happens. It turns your V8 into a V6
Old 07-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #24
2014 XLR 27HFS

My original toy hauler was a 24' and I pulled it with an F250 super duty diesel. The diesel pulled up mountains better, but there were some white knuckle sway action when a semi passed downhill and I did have a WDH on it. The more bikes in the back, the more sway I got.

In January I bought the 27HFS and have put over 4,000 miles on it. My current tow vehicle is a 2011 Tundra 5.7 4wd half ton. I learned from my first rig that sway was my enemy so I put a really thick anti-sway bar on the truck's rear end, and paid top $$ for a WDH with active (not friction) anti-sway (see pic).

Even with weight in the garage my current rig is way more stable than my original. While the truck capacity is important, in my opinion the hitch and truck rear are critical for stability.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #25

We are towing the 27HFS with a 2011 F150 Eco-boost, 3.73 gears... at first it was a little scary until we added a sway controller, upgraded LT tires and air bags... it tows like a dream now. Put it on the scale last weekend, trailer weighed in at about 8300lbs with full water, nearly full fuel (has the re-fueling station) and a RZR 800S in the garage. Had a quad in the pickup box as well, which put the truck over the sticker weight limits... but overall weight was below the GCWR of the truck and trailer. The ecoboost has ample power to pull this load, no problem maintaining highway speeds up hills. It does burn fuel pulling this kind of load though, so like someone else said, a diesel will always tow better. After being out with the toys and seeing the mess they make in the garage, we would never have a toy hauler that didn't have a garage, way too messy for the living quarters. But if your toy is a golf cart or a Harley... then this may not matter. Anyway, good luck with whatever you purchased.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #26

Hi, My recommendation is to go with the larger 27. The more living space is well worth all your RVing fun and piece of mind. You will most likely own that camper longer than your autos it's a investment in family comradery.
I have the XLR 27 HFS and pull it with a 03 expedition with the 5.4 engine. Fully packed vehicle and trailer with two Harley's.
I don't carry extra water or waste in the tanks ever when traveling. I live in New England and can keep up with traffic at 70+
Have the hd sway package and elec brakes a must with bigger campers. On long big hills the engine does rev up but stays in place. On corners like on and off ramps at speed the expedition is very stable as is camper. As for the camper the extra room is nice. This model has the In closed garage and queen drop down bed. Great for our kids an grand kids.
I have traveled as far as Ohio and both traveled well. AC in expo worked well but guzzled gas and really big hills was down to 55mph. I will admit I have plans to travel cross country. (Sturgis, RT 66, etc) and will be looking for extended cab pickup with 2 WD $6000 cheaper than 4 WD maybe diesel.
Best of luck and happy camping
Old 10-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #27

We purchased a 2014 27HFS and pulled it with a 2007 GMC Sierra Crew cab 2wd.. The truck done ok east and west ,, but after one trip to the North Ga mountains... We now have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 duramax..

1st gear up some hills was a little much for the 1500..

Just my opinion..
Old 10-22-2014, 03:55 PM   #28

As a few have eluded to, hitch selection is crucial when towing travel trailers. The published numbers don't differentiate between a camper and a flatbed load of sakrete, even though the handling characteristics between these 2 are quite significant. We spend $30K+ on a new truck and another $30K+ on a new camper and want to tie it together with a $249 hitch. I, too, balked at the thought of spending big money on a hitch. I now have a ProPride and can tell you that it is a whole different ball game than the friction based setups. I still have my Equalizer 4 point and wouldn't hesitate to use it again in the future IF I had significantly more TV than the numbers on paper suggest I need. But for a camper that has significant length and is pushing the limits of the TV, the ProPride is what I'll be using.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #29

I pull a 29HFS with my F150 5.0L and do just fine. Truck and trailer loaded are right at the GCVWR limit and it is a bit to handle at 75mph but handles well at the tire rating of 65mph. Since the trailer tires aren't rated for more that 65mph I keep it there. With two harleys in the back I need to put a bit of water in the fresh tank to keep the tongue load up. Otherwise its a bit loose with less than 10% tongue weight. The 24HFS is nice though and may fit your needs, in the end I wanted the extra foot in the garage that the 29hfs gave me (10ft vs. 9ft. garage) because the Harley limited wouldn't fit in a 24/27HFS. Otherwise I would have purchased a 27HFS.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #30

What is the HD sway package that you have?