Old 05-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
10x

I tow my Xlr27 with the blue ox hitch setup with a f 250 quad cab turbo diesel. I believe my equalizer hitch on my old same length and heavier trailer did a better job on sway control. I have the blue ox because Lazydays lost my equalizer brackets from the old trailer. They gave me a brand new Blue ox, I really think the equalizer is better, am I correct? Does anyone else have the same opinion?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #12

I totally agree Ashland resort is a great place. We had a 30ft fun finder pull behind toy hauler. I pulled it with a f150 and my first trip was to Ashland resort. My trip was the same way. I nearly wrecked the truck due to the swaying. I adjusted the hitch lowering the front of the trailer. My water tank was in the front of the camper so I would fill that to add weight to off set the weight of our ATVs in the back. After three trips to Ashland I purchased a GMC 2500 hd, boy what a difference. I just picked up a new XLR Thunderbolt 300x14 fifth wheel. Can't wait to make the trip back to Ashland with the new camper. I hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #13

Jeff
This is jerry from kerr lake with the xlr 380,you take your camper out yet.when we going to CAW or hatfeilds .
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #14

Jerry you ready to go to wv?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #15

I'm ready need to make a trip to CAW before then.
Jerry
Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisfactory View Post
I'm ready need to make a trip to CAW before then.
Jerry
We make it to CAW every year in May or June. Love that place
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #17

Good seeing you today. Let me know dates to go to CAW.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #18

To let you know I have found the fix ! I traded up to a Chevy 2500 HD with tow and plow package, which my other 1/2 truck had. The 3/4 ton is night and day ! I can drive 60 to 70 mph with no problem with 1 hand ! The trailer does not sway at all and I am using the same set up as the 1/2 ton at same heights on hitch. I was even able to load more cargo and fill back fuel cell and travel. The SUSPENSION ON THE TRUCK makes all the difference in the world and I am not running airbags on the 3/4 ton. Truck only squatted 1/4 in when hooked up and loaded and front did not raise at all. Gas mileage is 8 with new truck.

2015 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4X4
2016 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351THSS
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
Dear Black Lab Ruby
leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
To let you know I have found the fix ! I traded up to a Chevy 2500 HD with tow and plow package, which my other 1/2 truck had. The 3/4 ton is night and day ! I can drive 60 to 70 mph with no problem with 1 hand ! The trailer does not sway at all and I am using the same set up as the 1/2 ton at same heights on hitch. I was even able to load more cargo and fill back fuel cell and travel. The SUSPENSION ON THE TRUCK makes all the difference in the world and I am not running airbags on the 3/4 ton. Truck only squatted 1/4 in when hooked up and loaded and front did not raise at all. Gas mileage is 8 with new truck.

yup. There will always be those that swear you can pull an xlr27hfs or similar TH with a 1/2 ton tv. Yes. It "can" do it, but not very well. As you found first hand, the 3/4 ton tv is night and day better ! Would a diesel be better for MPG? sure. But, you would have spent a bunch more $$ on the truck to get that engine. My 6.0l diesel excursion gets around 11-12mph with my xlr27hfs with water and gas and dirt bikes on board, at 70mph. Not THAT much better than 8mph unless you are camping many many times a year.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #20

to the op ....congrats and it's amazing how that fix's soooooo many towing problems lol I used to have a 35' ( total length ) bumper hitch toy hauler, rated 1/2 ton towable by forest river..... towed with an f250 diesel ext cab long box with tow package ( tow package doesn't mean crap btw) I front and rear sway bars and 1k lbs stronger coils on the front and air bags in the rear and a 12k lb load leveling hitch with 2 sway brakes and shocks on the camper also re tq'd axle nuts and rebuilt the sway bar bushings with wet bolts.... better .... but still did similar to yours did, no matter how it was set or loaded. I finally tried putting 500 lbs up against the ramp gate behind my sand rail and that helped a bunch. my point is they can claim 1/2 ton towable all they want, but I think they tested those on 40 mph roads in a straight line with no wind lol and to those that pull these and say they have no problems....great glad to hear it and glad your happy but your idea of under control and tows great is waaaaaay different than mine and many others. I WILL never own another bumper hitch that long ever again. I went to a fifth wheel toy hauler on that same truck.... night and day diff and picked up 1 mpg at 70 mph!!