Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage of hfs 30 toyhauler

Thought I would give an update of our recent trip pulling a hfs30 toyhauler.

We left Ohio on a trip to Hatfield and McCoy Trails down in West Virginia about 40 miles from Bluefield at Ashland ATV Resort. ( A very nice campground for atv and utv users ).

Trip down was 325 very nerve racking miles . Coming back 325 miles was a little easier.

The hitch is a Blue Ox hitch with sway bars and was set up at the dealers for the truck and trailer. Pulling it home from the dealers back in November was not an issue. The sway bar link was on 7.

On the way down it was white nuckles all the way even stopping to adjust sway bars on the trailer, all it wanted to do was sway. The friends behind us called it the wiggle wagon and the wind did not help matters either.

We had a Polaris rzr backed in over the axles in the back which weighs about 1100 lbs.

All my friends said I need more tongue weight on the trailer to keep it from swaying.

I had the sway bars on the 7th link, backed it down to the 6th link, but did not see much difference it was 55 mph all the way and both hands gripped tight on the wheel.

Coming home I backed the chain down to the 5th link which helped greatly even tried the 4th link but it was way to loose. We also piled everything we could in the front of the trailer. Coming home was not as bad, but some areas the wind would catch the trailer and start it swaying again. Coming home we did 60 mph with no problem and sometimes 65 if it was a straight stretch.

Where I noticed a problem was on long sweeping curves or bridge abutments that were at an angle, then the trailer would start to sway.

Driving at 55 mph on local roads it did just fine.

Everything worked well in the trailer and we had a very good time.

We pulled it with a 1/2 ton Silverado with a trailering package, transmission cooler and air bags. We just purchased the truck a couple months before the trailer. Next truck will be a 3/4 ton, but the 1/2 ton did just fine. We had a few places we pulled 4300 rpm up the mountains.

8 miles per gallon just a little more than my friends with motor homes pulling trailers that got 7.2 and 7.6.

We can not wait to go again.

Any help on trailer set up to get rid of the swaying would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	31313  
leadhead358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Always Learning

Have you ever taken your loaded camper to get weights?

1 weight of truck and trailer connected with the WDH (get weights for your truck's front axle, rear axle and the trailers axles)
1 weight of the truck and trailer disconnected from the WDH (throw the bars into the truck bed)
Park the camper and get 1 weight of the truck axles only (leave the WDH with the trailer)

It'll tell you how tongue light you are.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #3

I am pulling the same trailer and up until recently, used an F150. I have now switched to a 2500 HD. I think your sway problem is with your WDH setup. I would try lowing the hitch one hole and see if that helps. It is better to be slightly lower with the nose than too high. I am not familiar with the Blue OX WDH but you should be able to tweak your setup for much better results. That TH should track without wiggle or sway except in very strong side winds.
Best of luck.
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #4

the xlr27hfs (it's 30' back door to the front of the hitch) claims to be 1/2 ton towable.. i have a 6.0L diesel excursion (3/4 ton) with air bags. I would not want to tow it with anything less. there are sway bars that do a pretty good job. i am not familiar with your setup, but there is a sway bar that goes over a ball at both ends.. one end is connected to the wd hitch, the other end connects to the trailer tongue. you then crank the lever that simply clamps down with brake pads onto a metal slide. The more you crank down, the harder it grabs. It works very well.

Tires. You need E rated in my opinion, and pump the rear truck tires to 75psi (they will go to 80psi driving down the road). The xlr27hfs comes with D rated (65psi max) 225x15's, i am getting rid of those and putting on E rated on this trailer too. I have E rated on my other 24' trailer that gets loaded big time, major difference when i went to E rated from D rated on that years ago
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

The above poster may not be familiar with 1/2 ton towing. Although a 3/4 ton is much better, a properly equiped 1/2 ton can be well within the specs of this TH. My F150 was equipped with C rated BFG tires and better shocks along with the typical tow package. Tires on the TV do make a big difference. If you were buying a different vehicle, 3/4 ton is the way to go but since you alread have your 1/2 ton, a good setup and proper tires will make a decent TV imo.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #6

I have the same problem. The trailer is all over the place above 60mph when my RZR is in it. I even back in my RZR to get as much weight forward as possible. I too have a Blue Ox and am wondering if a different WD hitch will help.

Keep us updated if you find a fix.
Toy Haulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Haulin View Post
I have the same problem. The trailer is all over the place above 60mph when my RZR is in it. I even back in my RZR to get as much weight forward as possible. I too have a Blue Ox and am wondering if a different WD hitch will help.

Keep us updated if you find a fix.
How much does your Razr weigh? I haul my 650 Kawi Brute Force (600 lbs) and my Yamaha scooter (200 lbs) and about 400 lbs of stuff in the garage. I have not had any problem with wag but I pull at 60 mph. I guess I am showing my age there. I use a Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH.

It sounds like your Razr may be putting too much weight at the rear and consequently removing too much tongue weight. Is your WDH transferring too much weight to the front of your TV? or Is the TH pulling a little nose high? Either of these situations could cause the condition you describe. What about adding more weight on the storage rack on the front? Maybe a second battery or tool box or even moving the spare tire up there. Just a thought.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

I'm hauling the exact same toy xlr 27hfs with a Yukon Denali XL and I get very little sway at all. The hitch and all was setup by the dealer, but pulling this thing isn't an issue at all. As nice as it would be to have a 3/4 ton to pull the trailer, I'm pulling it with my every day driver, which is nice.

If I had a 3/4 ton truck... I'd have went with the larger TH or a 5th wheel TH. I'm hauling dirt bikes instead of a RZR, but I wouldn't think that alone would make too much of a difference. A 1/2 ton with a tow package should pull this trailer just fine with the proper WD setup.

Oh, one more thing... the 8mpg is right on the money. That's what I'm getting too.
jwhitemx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #9

Thanks for your comments. The Silverado is a 1/2 ton with a trailering package, air bags and transmission cooler. The Blue Ox weight Distribution Hitch is the new top of the line Blue Ox with sway bars. When hooked up the trailer and truck set level. I have brand new Michelen tires rated for towing on the truck $400 each 18 inch. It pulls the trailer just fine. The RZR is around 1100 lbs and backed in centered as close as I can get it to the last axle on the trailer. The garage is rated for 2000 pounds. It pulls fine at 55 mph the problem is 60 -65 mph. I am thinking it may be the trailer tires also, because like I said long sweeping curves or angled bridge abutments is where I really notice it.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #10

"it pulls fine at 55 mph" .. said everyone pulling this using a 1/2 ton truck
don't flame me guys, just having some fun.

I agree the D rated tires that come on the xlr27 are barely up to the task. I am ditching those (well, giving em to a friend) and getting some E rated tires. Exactly what i did on another trailer i use a lot about 50,000 miles ago it WILL tow straighter-better with 80psi 10ply tires.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
10x

I tow my Xlr27 with the blue ox hitch setup with a f 250 quad cab turbo diesel. I believe my equalizer hitch on my old same length and heavier trailer did a better job on sway control. I have the blue ox because Lazydays lost my equalizer brackets from the old trailer. They gave me a brand new Blue ox, I really think the equalizer is better, am I correct? Does anyone else have the same opinion?
Old 05-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #12

I totally agree Ashland resort is a great place. We had a 30ft fun finder pull behind toy hauler. I pulled it with a f150 and my first trip was to Ashland resort. My trip was the same way. I nearly wrecked the truck due to the swaying. I adjusted the hitch lowering the front of the trailer. My water tank was in the front of the camper so I would fill that to add weight to off set the weight of our ATVs in the back. After three trips to Ashland I purchased a GMC 2500 hd, boy what a difference. I just picked up a new XLR Thunderbolt 300x14 fifth wheel. Can't wait to make the trip back to Ashland with the new camper. I hope this helps.
Jeff Auton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #13

Jeff
This is jerry from kerr lake with the xlr 380,you take your camper out yet.when we going to CAW or hatfeilds .
Mantisfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #14

Jerry you ready to go to wv?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #15

I'm ready need to make a trip to CAW before then.
Jerry
Mantisfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantisfactory View Post
I'm ready need to make a trip to CAW before then.
Jerry
We make it to CAW every year in May or June. Love that place
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #17

Good seeing you today. Let me know dates to go to CAW.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #18

To let you know I have found the fix ! I traded up to a Chevy 2500 HD with tow and plow package, which my other 1/2 truck had. The 3/4 ton is night and day ! I can drive 60 to 70 mph with no problem with 1 hand ! The trailer does not sway at all and I am using the same set up as the 1/2 ton at same heights on hitch. I was even able to load more cargo and fill back fuel cell and travel. The SUSPENSION ON THE TRUCK makes all the difference in the world and I am not running airbags on the 3/4 ton. Truck only squatted 1/4 in when hooked up and loaded and front did not raise at all. Gas mileage is 8 with new truck.

2015 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4X4
2016 Palomino Puma Unleashed 351THSS
2015 Polaris RZR 900S
Dear Black Lab Ruby
Old 01-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadhead358 View Post
To let you know I have found the fix ! I traded up to a Chevy 2500 HD with tow and plow package, which my other 1/2 truck had. The 3/4 ton is night and day ! I can drive 60 to 70 mph with no problem with 1 hand ! The trailer does not sway at all and I am using the same set up as the 1/2 ton at same heights on hitch. I was even able to load more cargo and fill back fuel cell and travel. The SUSPENSION ON THE TRUCK makes all the difference in the world and I am not running airbags on the 3/4 ton. Truck only squatted 1/4 in when hooked up and loaded and front did not raise at all. Gas mileage is 8 with new truck.

yup. There will always be those that swear you can pull an xlr27hfs or similar TH with a 1/2 ton tv. Yes. It "can" do it, but not very well. As you found first hand, the 3/4 ton tv is night and day better ! Would a diesel be better for MPG? sure. But, you would have spent a bunch more $$ on the truck to get that engine. My 6.0l diesel excursion gets around 11-12mph with my xlr27hfs with water and gas and dirt bikes on board, at 70mph. Not THAT much better than 8mph unless you are camping many many times a year.
2013 forest river xlr27hfs hyperlite
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #20

to the op ....congrats and it's amazing how that fix's soooooo many towing problems lol I used to have a 35' ( total length ) bumper hitch toy hauler, rated 1/2 ton towable by forest river..... towed with an f250 diesel ext cab long box with tow package ( tow package doesn't mean crap btw) I front and rear sway bars and 1k lbs stronger coils on the front and air bags in the rear and a 12k lb load leveling hitch with 2 sway brakes and shocks on the camper also re tq'd axle nuts and rebuilt the sway bar bushings with wet bolts.... better .... but still did similar to yours did, no matter how it was set or loaded. I finally tried putting 500 lbs up against the ramp gate behind my sand rail and that helped a bunch. my point is they can claim 1/2 ton towable all they want, but I think they tested those on 40 mph roads in a straight line with no wind lol and to those that pull these and say they have no problems....great glad to hear it and glad your happy but your idea of under control and tows great is waaaaaay different than mine and many others. I WILL never own another bumper hitch that long ever again. I went to a fifth wheel toy hauler on that same truck.... night and day diff and picked up 1 mpg at 70 mph!!

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote