Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick130 View Post
how high did you raise the door from the ground? Thank you I appreciate your help.
Slick130,
Actually have three answers here. #1 when I loaded the bike at home, the door was on the ground. My driveway is pitched enough that the ramp was not that steep. #2 when I unloaded at the campground. The road was pretty flat, so I had to place a few 6x6's across the door (only one high...5.5 inches...) and then just rolled down the ramp. #3 when I loaded the bike at that campground, I just raised the nose of the camper (via the electric tongue jack...). I went pretty high but was able to keep the door on the ground.

The key for me was not to "sit" on the bike and instead drive the bike up the ramp with both feet walking up the ramp as I straddled the bike. This gave me the clearance at the top of the ramp but still gave me control of the bike (feathering the clutch and brake...).

I would highly recommend "testing" out these procedures in your driveway or street. Better to know what you need and how to do it when you are at home then when you are at the campground and you don't have the supplies you need...
Old 06-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejd235 View Post
Slick130,
Actually have three answers here. #1 when I loaded the bike at home, the door was on the ground. My driveway is pitched enough that the ramp was not that steep. #2 when I unloaded at the campground. The road was pretty flat, so I had to place a few 6x6's across the door (only one high...5.5 inches...) and then just rolled down the ramp. #3 when I loaded the bike at that campground, I just raised the nose of the camper (via the electric tongue jack...). I went pretty high but was able to keep the door on the ground.

The key for me was not to "sit" on the bike and instead drive the bike up the ramp with both feet walking up the ramp as I straddled the bike. This gave me the clearance at the top of the ramp but still gave me control of the bike (feathering the clutch and brake...).

I would highly recommend "testing" out these procedures in your driveway or street. Better to know what you need and how to do it when you are at home then when you are at the campground and you don't have the supplies you need...
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your time and trouble. Ride safe and happy camping.
Slick130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick130 View Post
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your time and trouble. Ride safe and happy camping.
Anytime. This site has given me so much information and help. It's only appropriate that I give back...
Old 06-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #24

Unless i really crank it up (the tongue) and I have a swing back 6" foot so I can take it pretty high, I take me weight off the seat as I reach the scrapping point. Or, i would scrap. It also helped when I set the bikes shock preload for more weight. I posted an idea on here as well adding an incline to the ramp. You could fashion a ramp extension attach with a hinge and space the ramp up.. say 12" up off the ground with a 3 foot wide ext. . I did this on a 21RR Greywolf. The ext has to be stout. A 1/4" alumninun plate might work Too bad FR doesn't put the slanted floor on these models. Dove tail I think they call it.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 PM   #25

Agreed....a dove tail would solve the scraping problem. But you would have the back ~2 feet of your garage at a slope. Something I would rather live with than the scraping or creative ways to raise the trailer/ramp....
Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #26

Heading out for the first time with my bike this weekend as well. Used the Harbor Freight Chock. Fastened it to a 2x4 with holes cut to fit over the front tie downs. Loaded fine with trailer level Nitro 31fqsl has dovetail. Full load of water on as well for State Park close to home. Go ahead and critique this setup. Headed out for longer trip later in the month and need to get the bugs worked out.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435713596770.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	81787   Click image for larger version

Name:	1435713611091.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	81788  

Jeff

-2016 XLR Nitro 31 FQSL
-2006 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
Mainous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #27

hi jeff, hey is that the Pittsburgh wheel chock at hf, there on sale now for 59.00 was going to pick one up this weekend, what do you think of it ? only thing I have been hauling is bikes so far ( pedal l.o.l. ) but I have been wanting to stick my gl1800 in it to try it out, we pulled a aspen popup for lots of miles with the gl but the wife wasn't up to long trips on the bike anymore so we went the 24fqsl route. thanks joe
joe in pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:59 AM   #28

It is the Pittsburgh 1800 lb. model from HF. I just received mine yesterday. I adjusted and tested prior to putting it in the TH. It does lock the wheel in nicely and feels secure. It is a little tough to back out of with my 725 lb. bike so you can expect that proportionately with your GW but I guess that's the trade off for the tight fit. The way I set it up, it uses the tie downs in the TH as stops but is completely removeable.

Jeff

Jeff

-2016 XLR Nitro 31 FQSL
-2006 Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
Old 07-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #29

Mainous,
I use the same chock in my 29HFS. I should have taken pictures... but used the TH tie downs for the triple tree, wrapped the rear tire with ratchet straps and used a small ratchet strap to "snug" the front tire into the chock. Drove about 70 miles on the freeway and some back roads. The bike did not move at all.

Next time, I will take pictures...
Old 07-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainous View Post
It is a little tough to back out of with my 725 lb. bike so you can expect that proportionately with your GW but I guess that's the trade off for the tight fit.
If you have a fat front tire vs a skinny one, you can take a hi-lift jack or something similar and spread the arms of the chock apart a little. The ratchet strap will still snug the tire into the chock, but when you release the strap, the tire will back out easier.

Check out the B&W Biker Bar system--pricey but very effective, and easier to lock the bike down. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:44 AM   #31

Hope to see ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Nice pic... I'm getting ready today for Ft. Clinch SP (Fernandina Bch, FL)
We'll be there 6-10 July...
Jane1550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #32

Using the board looks good. The HF model saves money when compared with the Condor. I leave straps fairly loose but don't rely on hooks. I use a quick link (chain link) at each end for peace of mind.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #33

Thanks for the feedback. Taranwanderer: I don't think the chock is pinching the front tire. The difficulty is in getting the back gate of the chock to flip back with the weight of the bike on it. I did look at the Biker Bar but I don't believe it will work with my Honda as the engine is significantly lower than the lower frame rails. Wolwhistle: That Condor is pricey! I like the quick link as well and used it on the front straps. The cheapos on the back don't have it (I need to replace them).

Wishing each of you a great 4th of July. The news of the day has me focusing more on what it represents.

Also, thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum. The ideas and input are priceless.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #34

hello all, hey thanks for all the input and tips, my gw has reverse so getting out of the chock should be painfree, this is all new to me never trailered a bike before so thanks again to all. I hope I don't have to get a smaller bike or a bigger truck l.o.l. take care joe
joe in pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #35

You have to really jack the nose up, use extra blocks if you have to, and get the ass of trailer as low as possible. Yes I learned the hard way, have a slammed bagger with extended fender and bags and didnt make it off ramp, had the fender buried in the dirt. Thankfully was very grassy soft dirt
Bubbynico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlrmac View Post
Nice setup. I wish my TT took my bike with us to, but the 4 bunks in the back get kids instead .

I did notice the large blocks you have under the front scissors. Is it a lot more stable that way instead of down farther on those 'yellow legos'? I have those and could use something more stable and I know my DW would love it if it were more stable.

Thanks,
Karl
I've found the Bal-X wheel chocks stop 99% (not actual results) of fore and aft movement, then the stock stabs do pretty good. Mine is okay with just this. I used to carry an 8x8 for each stab but all the timber is a lot of weight to carry. I'm happy with light plastic pads and the Bal-X

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-02-2015, 08:41 PM   #37
2014 XLR 27HFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbynico View Post
You have to really jack the nose up, use extra blocks if you have to, and get the ass of trailer as low as possible. Yes I learned the hard way, have a slammed bagger with extended fender and bags and didnt make it off ramp, had the fender buried in the dirt. Thankfully was very grassy soft dirt
I feel your pain. Learned the hard way, banging the bags and scraping the frame. When loading and unloading the bike now, I put the tongue jack all the way up, lower the stabilizing jacks, and - depending on the camp site - put the below under the ramp to lift it 12".
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2015, 06:28 AM   #38

More than one way to skin a cat, so to speak.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-03-2015, 06:32 AM   #39

dave961...where did you get those?
DennisTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisTD View Post
dave961...where did you get those?
At the ramp gettin' place, I bet. I see something like this on Amazon, but only lifts 6.5"

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas

Tags
bike