Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #1

Microwave R&R?

Going to post it in this section too, hopefully for more application specific exposure...

2014 XLR 395AMP, microwave pooped the bed and looking at the fun process or R&Ring it....

How in the F#$%(RWE%&*@# does a guy remove the top 3 bolts without having to tear out the entire 'roof' sheet its screwed into?

Their are 3 bolts that screw down through the top board into the top of the microwave and 2 horizontal screws at the bottom.

As far as i can see their is a whopping 1" of room between the top of the board that its bolted through, and the inside of the slide cavity. Maybe im missing something but i see no possible way of removing these screws without some demolition...?
Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 AM   #2

Big props to Bulletbob for making this as easy as possible!

To anyone else that may be looking to do this, it's not a very fun job!

Basically you need to remove the small cabinet to the side of the microwave, then remove some trim at the top infront of the microwave to get at the screws that hold the roof panel in place.

The cabinet is pretty easy, just take out the dozen or so screws inside the cabinet. Remove the plugin at the bottom as well as the panel it was attached to, to get at the remaining 4 or 5 screws that hold the bottom of the cabinet to the walls. In my case the wiring going to the plug was more than long enough to let it hang out of the way (as well as having a nice staple right through the neutral conductor and Into the insulation of the hot line! So I'll be chopping the wire at that point on the reinstall).

Now you'll have to pull off 2 little strips of trim at the corners infront of the roof panel to allow room to move. Pull off the 2" wide trim at the front face of the roof panel (probably not 100% necessary but makes it easier), now you'll see the screws that are under another thin piece of trim which hold the roof panel in place.

Remove the 2 screws at the bottom of the microwave that hold it to the back wall, remove the screws that hold the roof panel in place. You will be able to tilt the roof panel down and pull it towards you a bit and be able to set the whole thing down ontop of the stove. Be careful of the led light wiring, mine was more than long enough to reach but you may have to disconnect the lights before you can lower the roof panel.

Piece of cake... Lol
Old 12-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #3

Sorry it's such a nuisance Dave but glad Bob gave you the procedure. I knew if anyone could help, it would be the Bobster.
Karl4Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
XLR Production

Always here to help. Where I can
bulletbob is offline   Reply With Quote