Old 08-11-2016, 03:56 PM   #1

Moisture issues

So we are camping in North Carolina. Been here about a week and have damage on the wall between the bathroom and living room. Figured out it's due to moisture and the cause is the wall is open to the basement on the back side. It's causing condensation big time all around the walls exposed to the open space. I can't believe that Forest River didn't think that through. I'm running 3 A/C units, and a dehumidifier. Not my first rodeo here. Never had this problem in any other unit. I'm now blowing cool air into the basement to try and stop further damage but that lessens cooling ability of the camper.

I pulled the service panel for the bathroom faucet, the inside of the walls were wet there to. I'm so pissed with this happening. I'm out of warranty and basically all of the interior walls need to be replaced because of this. The vanity in the bathroom is soaking inside it from the same thing.

I insulated up the basement a bunch to try and help it, but still. Between the floor separating from the slide, and now the exterior wall of the slide separating, and a few other major issues I'm becoming very unhappy with a $50,000 purchase.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #2

Wet walls are often a sign of condensation. If it happens during air condition use, its because the interior is colder than the dew point temperature of the outside air, and that air is leaking into the walls. Depending on where you are in North Carolina, the dew point temperature of the outside air can range from above 75F along the coast to 65-70 at the western end. If you are cooling your camper below that, you can get condensation forming in the walls and floor.

Two options: Either run the inside warmer (above the outside air dew point. Check local radio/TV stations for current dew points) or slightly pressurize the inside with dry air. Sometimes you can do that with a ventilating AC unit. That way dry air leaks out and won't condense in the walls rather than outside air leaking in. Running exhaust fans can suck in outside air. Maybe leave a window cracked when running exhaust fan to keep air leakage into walls to a minimum. Best bet is to run the inside a little warmer.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

Yep, understand all that and it is set to 75 and was actually not that cool in here. Overnight it was. It really is just where the warm air can come in through the basement and meet the backside of the interior walls. If not for that, it'd be fine. I now have a fan blowing air from in the camper out to the basement area. I also insulated around the separation walls in the basement from the plumbin and such. Since then it's okay. But the damage was done...
Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #4

Not sure what unit you have but I think our XLR 395 has an A/C duct in the basement for that reason. And we always try to keep the basement doors closed as much as possible.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:09 PM   #5

I have a 15 39DKS5. It doesn't have a duct, but if it did that would have prevented the problem...
Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #6

That was one of the things I liked on ours, being in the south high humidity is always a problem here.