Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Move axles on a 29HFS

Has anyone ever moved the axles back an inch or two ? How? Did it help eliminate sway?
Orange Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

Move axles on a 29HFS

If you are having sway issue w the 29 HyperLight #1 you don't have your WD hitch set up correctly #2 your TV is over loaded - ( some makes no matter what ton it is --just have too soft of rear leaf springs to handle the tongue weight of the HyperLight add Airbags too level out load -- will makes a huge improvement) # 3 you got your garage in the HyperLight over loaded...

I bet money one or more of theses 3 will correct any sway issues and a lot less money and effort than moving axles

Get out and Play Harder😛

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29hsf - loaded picked up 3-24-2015😊
2008 Can Am Spyder
Kite Boarding is my Addiction - GOT WIND!
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:49 AM   #3

Meant to say it's probably one of those 3 issues --lol

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 11-17-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

Agreed.
Three race bikes in the garage is within "garage weight limit of 2000", but tail heavy. I'm at the TV limit of 9500, so that's a factor. And I have a blue ox dialed in. She stable in calm conditions without traffic bow waves. But any wind or trucks and it's just not fun.

Looking at a Hensley hitch, but if axles moved rearward , that would probably settle her down too.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

Add 4 12v batteries to tongue and some 30lb propane bottles and u be good 😄
Old 11-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
Agreed.
Three race bikes in the garage is within "garage weight limit of 2000", but tail heavy. I'm at the TV limit of 9500, so that's a factor. And I have a blue ox dialed in. She stable in calm conditions without traffic bow waves. But any wind or trucks and it's just not fun.

Looking at a Hensley hitch, but if axles moved rearward , that would probably settle her down too.
It would be easier just to get 5200 or 6000 lbs axles and carry more tongue weight
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:43 AM   #7

Right.

Like I said, I'm at the tv limit. And we are 5 years out from a dually 5th /wheel purchase.

So, I'll mostly likely buy a Hensley hitch before next season.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #8

There is a ridiculous long thread about weights on a 29 here. I have a tool that let's me estimate the effects of loading and have "run" the numbers. It seems starting in late 2015, 2000# in garage only leaves about 700# more in CCC to play with, depending on installed options and it reduces TWR down to around 5% or 6%; far too low. This, plus the "huge" side surfaces behind the axle centers, just invites sway. If you could load the tongue well enough, like PH suggested, that would work. To do this will require heavier axles and maybe tires / wheels; since you will be considerably above the GVW of the unit. Personally, I would either do that (say goodbye to FR liabilities either way) rather than move axles, because even though your thinking is creative, it does address the whole issue, which is the limited CCC.

We have to keep in mind, that what is a white knuckle experience for one is a piece if cake for another. Some can get and away with 2000# in the garage due to a heavier TV, a better WDH, slower ... or their nerves are better???

Before I started cutting and welding I would look at TV and WDH harder or be looking for a more capable unit if reducing toy weight isn't an option. Just sayin'
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #9

OC for 450 you might want to try the Anderson WD hitch since your rear heavy and not needing to transfer huge amount weight to front axles - I'd give Anderson a call tell them your set up and see what they have to say - if it don't work return it --- $450 compared too $2500 worth a try

Get out and Play Harder😛

2008 Can Am Spyder
Old 11-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
Right.

Like I said, I'm at the tv limit. And we are 5 years out from a dually 5th /wheel purchase.

So, I'll mostly likely buy a Hensley hitch before next season.
I understand that . but to move the axles opens up a whole lot of extra work .
wheel wells may need expanded . exactly where do you position the axles . back further by how much exactly to get your desired effect . then your over loaded TV is more Over loaded because of the increased TW . so get your hensley spend 2500 and maybe you can get some of that back in 5yrs . or go the cheaper route . you know what they say penny wise and pound foolish
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #11

Try lowering your hitch an inch. A lot easier to do than moving axles and you might be amazed. I was on a previous truck.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle