Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2015, 09:00 AM   #1

Smile New 27HFS purchased!

Hello everyone - just wanted to share the first photo of our new 27HFS. Just picked it up on Friday after trading in our Surveyor SP295. We were running out of room with the family toys so wanted the big garage for bikes, kayaks, etc.

Photo is deceptive, it is actually level on flat ground. Where I hooked up slopes in two directions. Van pulled it just fine but it felt just a bit bigger back there vs. the SP.

We added the fold out couch/bed to the garage along with the stock bunk for more sleeping room for the boys. Getting both to work together was kind of cobbled together and I am not 100% happy with it so may be back here looking for some help!

Anything I should look out for right away on this model? Checked the microwave since I read that it could be loose. There is a door stop on the living side bathroom door already. We put small bungees around the entertainment doors to keep them from possible opening when putting the slide in and causing damage. We may flip or just plain remove the garage side bathroom door, we dont like how it opens into the bathroom. What is with the giant gap at the bottom of the doors??

Will be adding a TV on a swing out mount where the entertainment stand is, what is the max size most are fitting? We were hoping to get a 32" in there but I am not sure it will fit.
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
Hello everyone - just wanted to share the first photo of our new 27HFS. Just picked it up on Friday after trading in our Surveyor SP295. We were running out of room with the family toys so wanted the big garage for bikes, kayaks, etc.

Photo is deceptive, it is actually level on flat ground. Where I hooked up slopes in two directions. Van pulled it just fine but it felt just a bit bigger back there vs. the SP.

We added the fold out couch/bed to the garage along with the stock bunk for more sleeping room for the boys. Getting both to work together was kind of cobbled together and I am not 100% happy with it so may be back here looking for some help!

Anything I should look out for right away on this model? Checked the microwave since I read that it could be loose. There is a door stop on the living side bathroom door already. We put small bungees around the entertainment doors to keep them from possible opening when putting the slide in and causing damage. We may flip or just plain remove the garage side bathroom door, we dont like how it opens into the bathroom. What is with the giant gap at the bottom of the doors??

Will be adding a TV on a swing out mount where the entertainment stand is, what is the max size most are fitting? We were hoping to get a 32" in there but I am not sure it will fit.
CHD D, congrats on new XLR. I have always thought a van would be nice to tow with if equipped. I finally swapped my garage bathroom door around, simple to do, really. The large gap is for return air for the ac unit and the furnace.

If you camp in 100 degree weather you might need to close off the garage, so I wouldn't take the door permanently off (if you do, take the door with you).

It was mine that had the microwave only held by screws in the trim strip. If you take out the screws and it isn't sitting on the bottom of the cabinet, you need to put plywood or something under it to bring it up, then replace screws. I think mine took a piece of 1/2" cut to size.

If you camp in cold weather you might want to do the furnace mod that Northstar99 came up with... I did it too. It doesn't provide heat to the garage, but if I need that I will get another Heatwave 6.

What to look out for... first is wheel lugs. Torque to spec at 50, 100, 200, 400, etc. miles. Mine kept tightening to at least 1000 miles. I also greased the buddy bearings at about 500 miles.

Also, keep the tires 65# cold all the time, never drive on under inflated tires. If it is 80 degrees when I check mine, I make it 68#.

Like you know, check the doors and drawers before operating the slide.

I think it was Youroo or Turbs that pointed out to get bronze self closing hinges to keep doors closed even better. A very good idea; and available from HD or Lowes. You might want to go to black drywall screws for soft wood (the coarse thread kind) at the same time, but be careful when tightening; easy to strip out... if I do, just dip the screw in a good wood glue and tighten "lightly"... use a screwdriver not an electric driver.

I have a 26" TV, but my model is different. I think mine could handle 32"

Thats all my pea brain can think of, right now.

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #3

WW - thanks for the tips! A bit worried about that 100 degree remark as we live in the south and do camp when it is quite warm. We are actually taking it out for it's maiden voyage this weekend up in TN and they are predicting highs in the mid to high 90's all weekend. My kids are going to be sleeping back there on the two bunks! I saw the two AC vents and hoped that would be enough to cool that big room down. We have the larger AC unit installed (15.5K unit).

Heat we arent worried about as much, we dont camp when it is too cold and a pair of electric space heaters more than warmed up our SP295.

I will check the microwave again, your statement reminded me that the same thing happened on our Surveyor and it actually cracked the trim panel.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Congrats on your new 27HFS. Don't forget to change your sig.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Congratulations , We have the same unit. Still working out a few things in ours but have been happy with it so far.

thanks WW i was wondering why the doors had such a gap at the floor.
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

Well my microwave wasnt sitting on anything, it was just being held up with the screws so I fixed that.

I am curious about it being too hot issue in the garage, not much we can do about it in 3 days before leaving but I'd like to hear from others if it will be an issue.

Berj1 - what are you working out on yours?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #7

Not too much really mostly personal preference things. One thing i am working on now is the upper led marker lights don't always work, sometimes they are all off others time only a few of them are. The water pump is noisy (water hammer) I am going to add in a suppressor, I think in RV terms they call it a accumulator, funny you call it a accumulator and buy it at the RV store for $35 but if you go to a plumbing supply shop you can get one for about $10. I would also like to install a power tongue jack at some point, and a slide top awning is also on my wish list.

Another thing we did was to replace the suspension equalizers, our unit had been sitting in a camp ground when we bought it so it was a little stiff and it has no grease fittings and they made lots of creaking noises so we changed them out with a set that was grease-able

Our black tank flush back flow device was stuck too so it did not work, I replaced it,

the only other issue i heard about was the previous owner said they had replaced the power awning motor, not sure why but ours works fine
Berjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #8

Let us know the temps and how well the 15k air cond worked for your family. Until reading on here I would have called the "accumulator" by the name captive air tank. I put mine in series with the outside hose connection, but can go anywhere. Nothing else to buy. The first time connecting city water it leaked. But tightened the fittings fixed it. My power awning seems to be in a bind and gets very slow. The material seems to be twisted.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Most campers are not known to be well insulated so your Ac will be working pretty hard to keep your unit cool in 95 degree heat. Having slides also increases heat in the camper. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM   #10

OK, so got back from the maiden and the garage was cool the whole trip! We did have some partial shade for the afternoon which helped I am sure. The temps were in the low to mid 90's but it was more than cool enough back there with the two overhead vents. The whole camper was cool with the temp set at 74 degrees. We'll be in FL twice next year during the summer so I am sure that will test things again but for now we're happy with the cooling ability.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #11

I guess I already stated, but with a 13.5k and the garage ducts closed off; the gap below door filled. At 100 degrees it could only bring cabin temperature down to 83 and that was running non stop for hours. The temp inside my truck was 140. I suppose at 90 it could work okay.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #12
2014 XLR 27HFS

I agree WW. In the direct Florida sun, my 13.5K can't keep up unless I close off the garage & bathroom, then flip the AC output so it doesn't go through the ducts. Your 15K unit will probably do much better, just don't turn on the microwave while the AC is hammering! :-)
Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
2014 XLR 27HFS

Oh, and welcome to the XLR club! I really enjoy mine, it's perfect for us.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

New 27HFS purchased!

Our 30fqsl has the 15k and we camp mostly in GA in the summer. It can keep the camper at 71 or 72 and the garage at 73 or 74 in 95 degree heat. Haven't been camping in 100 degree yet. Not sure how it would do in that heat.

Sitting on the reclining couch at 71 degrees drinkin coffee is a beautiful thing.

I haven't noticed an issue with running the microwave being a problem while the AC is wide open.