Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #1

New 29HFS Owner Wants To Know

I just bought a 2016 29HFS and it's up in Michigan waiting for the Tundra to thaw out.

While I was contemplating what to do about pumping the Black and Gray tanks (it's gonna sit on Private Property most of the time)...

I was wondering...... Does our Bathroom sink empty into the Black Tank or the Gray tank?

I want to know so I can try to calculate how long before I have to tow it up to the Septic Tank to empty it.

My situation is somewhat unique, as I am learning. I'm going to keep my trailer on my buddy's little 'farm' about 450 feet from his Septic Tank. Until I figure out what to do as far as a pumping station -- If anything.

The things you think of at 6:00AM on a Sunday Morning.....
The Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:55 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1460285658.392282.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	104437 why move the trailer when you can use something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-10-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
2014 XLR 27HFS

My 2014 27HFS has 2 grey and one black tank. Bathroom sink goes into a grey tank.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Attachment 104437 why move the trailer when you can use something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Thanks, but I'm old. And out of shape. And a little lazy.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
My 2014 27HFS has 2 grey and one black tank. Bathroom sink goes into a grey tank.
Thanks for the feedback. Unless I hear otherwise, I'll assume mine does too.

But that sounds like a whole different ballgame..... Two grey tanks?? Oh well. Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:00 PM   #6

That sewer tote has a handle that can fit over your cars hitch. You don't have to drag it by hand.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Toe View Post
Thanks, but I'm old. And out of shape. And a little lazy.
Dig a hole. Brick in a little cespool, run a leach line out a ways . or just tow that portable tank with a car,tractor or golf cart. Still lots easier than moving the rig.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Farm you say? Why can't grey go on the ground? I'd ask. Im tryingvto remember but I think greys (2) are 27 g each black 54. If you keep the dump cap on and open both grey dump valves the bathroom sink and shower could make use of the other (kitchen) grey. You could then close both valves before opening the cap but will spill a gallon or so of grey (stand back), but do not open the black until you are dumping whether at his septic or into a tote. Being lazy myself, it would be easier to drag a tote with the truck rather than tear down an move the whole rig. How often a person needs to dump is very very arbitrary with too many variables. The level sensors steps are empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full. Count days until the 1/3 lights the multiply. They are fairly close to reality. Never ever run your black tank over.
WW
have fun!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

The only thing that dumps into the Black Tank is the commode. The shower and bathroom sink dumps into the rear grey tank, and the kitchen sink dumps into the front grey tank.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Farm you say? Why can't grey go on the ground? I'd ask. Im tryingvto remember but I think greys (2) are 27 g each black 54. If you keep the dump cap on and open both grey dump valves the bathroom sink and shower could make use of the other (kitchen) grey. You could then close both valves before opening the cap but will spill a gallon or so of grey (stand back), but do not open the black until you are dumping whether at his septic or into a tote. Being lazy myself, it would be easier to drag a tote with the truck rather than tear down an move the whole rig. How often a person needs to dump is very very arbitrary with too many variables. The level sensors steps are empty, 1/3, 2/3, and full. Count days until the 1/3 lights the multiply. They are fairly close to reality. Never ever run your black tank over.
WW
have fun!
My main concern was the bathroom sink or shower emptying into the Black Tank.

I do plan on emptying the gray tank into a nearby cornfield.

According to the specs I'm looking at, my rig has 1 32 gallon Black Tank and a 57 gallon Gray Tank....

2016 XLR Hyper Lite 29HFS Toy Hauler Travel Trailer by Forest River Stock# 161162 Inventory - The Original RVWholesalers

The dry weight is in their dreams. The tongue of the trailer had "7,220 lbs" written on it when I picked it up.

If things work out and my friend and I don't get on each other's nerves, I'm thinking about putting in a simplex pump system in order to pump the effluent and the gray water into his septic tank..... 450 feet away. With about a 6 or 7 foot overall climb. And 450' of 2" PVC ain't cheap neither.

But that gets a little on the spendy side. OTOH, staying there on 5 Acres and only paying his electric and mowing the land with his John Deere ain't all that bad of a deal -- If it works out. It should. I see no reason why it shouldn't.

We're so new to this, we don't know what to expect. I tell people, "We don't even know what we don't know"

I'm in SW Florida and I love it overall. But the Summers down here just simply S^(K. And Michigan Summers are beautiful. All three weeks.

So, here we go. I'll keep you updated if I survive. If not......

Thanks for all the tips and I appreciate the thought put into them
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #11
John513

http://m.campingworld.com/browse/sku...9soRoCyvfw_wcB
JohnRiordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM   #12

Thanks. I already have one on my wish list at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Flojet-1855500...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

My buddy has a 42' Cyclone and keeps telling me about his FloJet and how much he likes it. But I'm not sure it will do the job I need it to do for me. I'm 450' away from the Septic Tank! With a 6' uphill climb (more or less).

I also have one of these on my wish list --

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-SS01-...dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

If all I'm gonna do is fill a Tote, I'm not sure why I need to spend the extra $120.......

My buddy keeps saying I'll be surprised at the FloJet. But he keeps missing my point....... Halfway there is no better than three feet there. IMHO, it either gets all the way there or it's a failure. Kinda like a parachute that opens halfway

Or am I missing something? I wouldn't be surprised...... I often do
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #13

you do have 57 gal of grey tank capacity but that's split up between two tanks
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
you do have 57 gal of grey tank capacity but that's split up between two tanks
Didn't know that. Makes sense, kinda. A single 57 gal-capacity tank would be kinda bulky. And the inertia of all that water moving from side to side, front to back.......

Another thing I've learned on this Forum.

Great place. Good people.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #15

the shower and lav are on one and the kitchen on the other , good design even though I'm sure it was by accident needing to set the tanks apart for weight and plumbing . this allows me to keep the shower valve open when set up and then i use the other to flush the lines after black tank dumps . fresh water on mine i believe is 54gallon
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
If you keep the dump cap on and open both grey dump valves the bathroom sink and shower could make use of the other (kitchen) grey.
WW
have fun!
Great to know WW, hadn't thought of that!
chrissybird is offline   Reply With Quote