Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

New to the RV world need advice

I am new to the RV world and would like some advise. I will be picking my XLR Viper 345v14 up this Saturday and would like to know what to look for on initial delivery key areas. Also what things are must haves for maintenance, what do I need to check on and how often. What chemicals do you need to use in the black tank? And any other advice you can give. I am in the military and will be living in this unit for then next few years. Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
nhrangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

New to the RV world need advice

Welcome to the RV living!! When you pick it up, make sure you have plenty of time to do a full PDI. A good one can take a few hours. Flip every switch, operate everything, check every bulb. When I picked mine up the slides weren't adjusted correctly, operate them in and out. Set everything up, be as thorough as possible so it can be taken care of right then. Also read all your manuals, there will be some maintenance info in those too. I check all my weather stripping and caulking every few months. Good luck!!

2015 XLR 395AMP
2011 Dodge Ram 3500
bggrndodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Make sure that you see each system operate.I turned on every light and checked every outlet....the tech thought I was crazy when I insisted we test the furnace in May. But I felt better to find it on the initial inspection than 6 months later.

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #4

Go to the Library tab at the top of the forum page. When you open it, there's a box on the left titled Most Popular Files. Right at the top of the list is PDI Checklist.

Print this list out and take it with you. Make them go over EVERYTHING on the list. If you don't understand, ask. As bggrndodge said, operate everything and make sure it works. Better to find out now than have to take it back. (My dealer is 2 hrs away!)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrieHunde View Post
Make sure that you see each system operate.I turned on every light and checked every outlet....the tech thought I was crazy when I insisted we test the furnace in May. But I felt better to find it on the initial inspection than 6 months later.
Make them burn the furnace in, show you how to work the bypass on the water heater to winterize it and how to de-winterize it. How to work the water heater on electric and propane. Where all the GFI outlets are, how to work the slides MANUALLY.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #6

Every time you dump the tanks you need to put the chemicals in the tanks, if your on a full hook up site don't open the black tank till it needs to be emptied it can cause it to get plugged up because the all the fluid runs out and leaves the solids to build up. How often do you need to check on it depends on use. If you use it very little , by using the facilities at the cg, you could wait a week to dump it. Until you get it down checking every day until it is around 3/4 full could be necessary, once you get used to it you won't ck on it as much and you will have an idea how long you can wait to empty. Any time you leave to go away for an extended time dump the tank.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #7

Make sure they show you how to do the tvs. Tuen them on and have them tell you Bout the boost button and how it works.
Nethers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Livin' the Dream

go to your local office supply store and pick up a bag off colored adhesive dots.
use these for your punch list items.
put a sticky dot on everything that looks wrong or questionable as well as document everything in your "NOTES" section on your phone or tablet.
look high...
look low...and always bring a friend or spouse for the extra set of eyes.
vquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #9

Thank you all for your input. I will defiantly take my time and follow all of your suggestions.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Driveway camp for 1 or 2 nights trying to do almost everything in the camper. Close to home just in case something goes wrong, or you forget something.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #11

Bell just went off. You said you will be living in it for the next few years. Hopefully you will be in a warm climate. If it get to freezing temps you have a whole other set of issues to plan for. So where will this be anchored.?

EDIT: I just read another post by ou and you said you ordered the extreme weather package. That's a good start. You will stilt have to put a heater on your water hose and such but it sounds like you got a good start.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Livin' the Dream

I agree with the driveway camp comment 100%.
My friend took off out of town with his brand new class a fleetwood coach and the
Toilet was plumbed backwards from the factory.
The first night His coach overflowed with poop!!!
Check everything including your holding tanks.
vquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #13

I ordered the cold weather package as a just incase but I will be in the Columbia sc area for a while then probably be moved to Ft Bragg nc to finish out. I was looking at getting a heated fresh water line when I pick it up Saturday.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #14

Put a cup of water in the microwave and bring it to a boil.
A can or two of silicone spray, I use the WD-40 stuff but pick what ever you like.
If you ask a question and are not sure of the answer ask again.

Good luck.