Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted1200 View Post
I didn't have time to measure at its pouring rain but it does look nose high to me. I'll just the hitch and give it another go. Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful setup! Love the upper dormer (for lack of better word) window.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted1200 View Post
The speed limit here is 70 and is 3 lanes, so yes i pull it at 70mph im not one to drive 55 in a 70 and make everyone go around me. The last truck did it fine. I have more to worry about then fuel milage in my life but thanks for the help.

I believe they were concerned about the speed rating of your trailer tires.

2014 XLR 27 HFS
2006 Ford F450 Dually Diesel
2015 Harley Freewheeler
2004 Harley Road King Custom
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #43

I have hit 70 but stay around 65, which staying to the right doesn't impede a lot; but is still faster than I feel safe since I know stopping distance is atrocious. I turn the radio loud and try not to think about the worst that could happen. Im ready to meet my maker but in no hurry about it. Boosted let us know what you figure out.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #44
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
lots of new trailer tires are now rated for 75 mph . doing 55 in a 70 /75 posted zone can get you hurt and cause accidents . if you can't do stay with 5 mph of posted limits get off the hwy and take a secondary route
Min speed is 40 so 55 is not a pronlem. Ya better double check your rating if your an FR owner. Guess you where one to run 70 when speed limit was 55. I'll make sure to stay out of your way. I like to arrive alive. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #45
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I just got in from a 2,500 mile trip and drove 70 when it was posted 70. The DuraMax with exhaust brake/ Allison in tow mode handled the braking assist with the standard brakes. Getting the proper hitches set up and tires properly inflated is comfy, safe ride.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #46

I have a F350 srw, I replaced the tires recently, with same size and load rating. I had Continental tires and went with Michelin tires and now have a handling issue. I know that I run the correct and same air pressure. But now have a sway issue. Something to think about.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #47

How did we get from a handling issue with a new truck to how fast we drive and how safe it is and TT tire speed ratings?

Just askin'
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #48

Handling issue changing from Continental to Michelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyt11664 View Post
I have a F350 srw, I replaced the tires recently, with same size and load rating. I had Continental tires and went with Michelin tires and now have a handling issue. I know that I run the correct and same air pressure. But now have a sway issue. Something to think about.
jimmyt11664, My Continental tires are close to end of life, and I was going to go with Michelin tires, now you have me wondering. Which Michelins did you purchase? Defender or A/T2?
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #49
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
How did we get from a handling issue with a new truck to how fast we drive and how safe it is and TT tire speed ratings?

Just askin'
Yea it's kinda funny/sad how that always happens isn't it

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:37 AM   #50

Are we a "little" off topic?????

From a poster asking about his control problems to people sniping each other on how people drive and how fast they can go.

This is a problem with some topics, imo, that they descend into the 9th level of screaming and scatter into all directions and do not return to the original question or topic.

My two points are these: There shall be no crying if you drive 70 and all "comfy" with your tv and tt tires correctly inflated and you hit a "road hazard" or a "gator" . Do not come here and complain about so called "china bombs".

Second point: people who tow rv's are in two groups- those that "have" had tires go boom and those that "will" have tires go boom.

Now flame away or keep quiet.
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #51

Boosted 1200
You may need to increase the size of your rudder , especially if this problem is with strong cross winds.
CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #52

Popcorn, please.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
From a poster asking about his control problems to people sniping each other on how people drive and how fast they can go.

This is a problem with some topics, imo, that they descend into the 9th level of screaming and scatter into all directions and do not return to the original question or topic.

My two points are these: There shall be no crying if you drive 70 and all "comfy" with your tv and tt tires correctly inflated and you hit a "road hazard" or a "gator" . Do not come here and complain about so called "china bombs".

Second point: people who tow rv's are in two groups- those that "have" had tires go boom and those that "will" have tires go boom.

Sorry that I'm off topic but what happens when a tire goes boom at 65 or 70 mph on a double axle ? [emoji16]

mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #54

Quote:

AMEN...oh boy. Attention Deficit Disorder is rampant! Cannot remain on topic for the life of them. Actually kind of entertaining in a weird sort of way.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Sorry that I'm off topic but what happens when a tire goes boom at 65 or 70 mph on a double axle ? [emoji16]

Damage.... to Equipment (yours and maybe others), Time (massive amount of lost time) and sometimes, to Lives. Damage happens.

Get a TST 507 system.

And the OP needs to adjust his hitch set up.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #56

Quote:
Didn't mean to come off as if my panties were in a bunch but some of you guys are a bit rough on this topic. Be considerate to those on the far right lane staying maybe 5 under the limit , that's me and I'm just trying to play it safe and there are more lanes for the speedy ones and for those who want to go all out , there's always that left lane.

Agreed . just seems some think if you do anything over 55-65 you're being unsafe and that's just not the case . the right lane is for driving and the left lane for passing . if people would follow these rules we'd all be safer .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Min speed is 40 so 55 is not a pronlem. Ya better double check your rating if your an FR owner. Guess you where one to run 70 when speed limit was 55. I'll make sure to stay out of your way. I like to arrive alive. Later RJD
rating checked . FR tires gone within the first week and no one was talking about going over posted speed limits.
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #58

After the Mods close this thread, (I won't be surprised) I hope the OP starts a new thread to tell us how he fixed his problem.......... so we can all learn something.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Old 06-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #59

Quote:

LOL.... talking about others sniping and then directly to your snipe all in one post.... 😂
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:17 PM   #60

Quote:

I've had 2 'ohcrap' episodes on 2 different 5ers that are eerily the same. The first was on the freeway going 70 (I can hear the slowpokes saying that 70 was the problem). I never heard the first tire blow (passenger side rear axle) but saw debris flying everywhere behind me. No problems slowing down and getting off the freeway (just don't jam on the brakes). Then about 50 miles later the front axle passenger tire exploded and I did hear that one. Again, no problems pulling over. Total damage to the 5er was about 5k plus tires.

The second time (different 5er) was on a rural road going the speed limit of 55 (guess I should of been going 40 according to this thread Same exact scenario. Same side, rear tire first then front later. Total damage this time was 8k plus tires. Thank goodness for insurance. Of course the next year the rates went up and we had to change companies

I don't know whether I ran over debris that damaged both tires or that the first blowout damaged the tire in front of it. I don't think speed or air pressure had anything to do with either one. I'm pretty anal about pressures and checking the rig at every stop.

I think being tandem axle actually helps during a blowout as you can stay under control on the other tire in my experience.

And I would love to have a tpms but so far I can't bend my brain around the cost for one that actually works

So that's my story about blowouts. Hope it answers your question.

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck