Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #1

New XLR 27HFS (disappointed with Forest River)

We picked up a 2012 XLR at jeff Coach RV in Hamilton Ohio. Jeff seems like a great person. Forest River lacks customer service and satisfaction.
Here is the problem: We had to wait a few days for our unit to be delivered from the factory because FR ran out of seat cushions. No big deal. We drive from OKC to Ohio and take delivery. Travel to the Black Hills and camp for 5 days. My wife and I notice two of the cushions in the dinette area are too soft and we both sink through to the plywood. NOT GOOD. The center cushion is fine. Now people I weigh 190 at 5'11" . My better half is 135lbs. We are not heavy people.
I contact the dealer and they put me in contact with the Forest River warranty man. So far so good. He asks for pictures. No problem. How do you tell from a picture that sub standard foam was used in the cushions? Oh well figure it is a formality. His email response from the vendor is "we see nothing wrong" Really? I could have told you that. Now he wants me to have more pictures taken with people sitting on the cushions. Frankly this is no way to treat a new customer. All I want is the foam cushions and I will install them. I did not think it was much to ask and a run around has now developed.
I contacted Jeff (the owner of Jeff Coach RV) and he is beside himself over such a simple matter. I am going to let him handle it and hope it gets worked out. I have better luck at Walmart and Target when I want to return a product. What's the deal with FR? This is no way to treat a customer. We were very happy at first, now we are not so sure. What if a big ticket item fails? Will we get another run around?
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

Our couch on our Rockwood 8293RKSS had some unusual puckering of the fabric on one of the back cushions. I noticed it right away and took our unit back the weekend after our "shakedown" trip in May. Our dealer sent it out to a local upholstery shop to see if they could rectify it and it actually looked worse, so our dealer ordered a new back for our couch. Delivery will take 6-8 weeks, which should be in early August sometime. I'm not sure what your dealer is telling FR; could this be a case of your dealer not communicating what the problem really is?
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

I hope it is a communication problem. The warranty man I talked to at FR is not much help. He is making a federal case over 2 foam cushion inserts. I just asked for replacements and will install them. I get better service from Walmart. We bought the unit 2 weeks ago and complained about it within a few days. I just hate to get the run around.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #4

Steve, I know its a pain in the Butt. I have purchased 2 Forest River campers in the last 5 years and have had some problems. They will stand behind their products. Sometimes it takes a few calls but you should have no problems. I was totally satisfied with all warranty issues through them. Hang in there and give them a chance.

Charlie
Cherokee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #5

Thanks for the comment. It will work out. I understand their position to some extent.
They don't know me.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 AM   #6

Your dealer should be making the phone calls and forcing the issue. He is the one with the stronger arm in any kind of warranty issue. Even if he purchased a couple of pieces of foam with a higher density and gave them to you, $50??
Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourn3833 View Post
Your dealer should be making the phone calls and forcing the issue. He is the one with the stronger arm in any kind of warranty issue. Even if he purchased a couple of pieces of foam with a higher density and gave them to you, $50??
I totally agree, the dealer should handle it. He was supposed to call me yesterday afternoon with an answer. He does not answer his cell phone now. Hmmm?
Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #8

Three more days have past and no call back.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

Update.

All is good now. Dealer handled it. Should not taken so long to resolve a simple problem.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve38 View Post
Three more days have past and no call back.
Were you talking with Tony H.?
I've been waiting on about 130 dollars to be reimbursed from warrantyy work I had to pay for and submit bills and photographs to his office - SINCE SEPTEMBER of 2011.
Now with 2000 miles on my trailer (delivery and one camping trip 2 hours away) I have 4 badly worn tires. I can only imagine the problem I will have with getting them replaced and the trailer looked at for possible axle repair/replacement.

They are almost impossibleto work with
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Our couch on our Rockwood 8293RKSS had some unusual puckering of the fabric on one of the back cushions. I noticed it right away and took our unit back the weekend after our "shakedown" trip in May. Our dealer sent it out to a local upholstery shop to see if they could rectify it and it actually looked worse, so our dealer ordered a new back for our couch. Delivery will take 6-8 weeks, which should be in early August sometime. I'm not sure what your dealer is telling FR; could this be a case of your dealer not communicating what the problem really is?
I thought I'd post an update on this, since my original post above was made on 7/13/2011. We STILL DO NOT have the replacement back for our couch. It has now been nearly 11 months since we took our TT back to our dealer to get the couch looked at. Had to submit ANOTHER photo last week and hopefully it will get resolved this time around. Dealer told us that his contact at FR is no longer there and that Doug Fought is now handling it, along with Todd Stringfellow. This isn't a huge issue and we can use our TT fully with the defective couch. But it makes you wonder what would happen if a more urgent repair were needed, which would affect your ability to use your TT. We have now noticed that the glue joints are opening up on our stand-alone dinette table and have sent photos to FR along with the couch photos. We'll see how long it takes to get this replaced. I'll post updates if/when I hear from them or my dealer.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote