Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

New XLR

Just pick up our new XLR 395 and am real happy with it so far but don't understand some of it. First is why do they install an automotive radio head for the main entertainment system? Can't use a remote to control DVD or sound for DVD and don't get surround sound for regular tv. Then in the back radio there's no Bluetooth which is what the outside speakers use.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #2
2014 XLR 27HFS

There's a few reasons I can think of (1) manufacturers want a lot of features, but want to spend as little as possible putting them in. (2) Car systems are all set up for 12v power, and when boon docking you may want to use stuff without firing up the generator (if you have one).

When I recover from the camper purchase and all the stuff I've added since, I plan on talking to the guys who put the stereo in my truck about options for the camper.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

Dave961, I think your are right most toyhaulers are built for basic comfort and being run outback or off the beaten path....our 27HFS is that way for sure.......for the longest time, most purchasers were ATV riders, now they are becoming more popular with all motorsports.....

The nice thing about them though is you can add stuff all day long....we have added LG sound bars, TV system, extra outer storage....all cheaper than dealers and camp world....we added some LED motion lights all the way around for about $60. they have been out there for year now.

And you can add the extras alot cheaper than the dealers....we added a storage box on tongue....in process of adding some extra undercarriage storage and tanks....think we are even going to buy one of the washer/dryer all in one units...we can take it in and out depending on type of trip....which by the way you can buy manufacturer direct cheaper than dealer or camp world...

just remember when adding don't overload frames....

The nice thing about the garage is using it as an outdoor patio......

I think toy haulers are some of the most versitle campers out there......We spend alot of time in ours.

Of course some of the high ends like the Cyclone, Raptors and other stuff having nicer interiors, but we spend some much out door time and on the beaches you wind up with dirt, sand and damage if it is too nice...LOL...LOL..

good luck and enjoy the weekend
OutlawAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401233421.364926.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	868.9 KB
ID:	53489
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #5

Here's the new unit. Have been looking at the so called entertainment center and am thinking of changing it. My only problem is that if I change it to a home theater can I keep the kicker amp and will I have to do so wiring to get the speakers to work, the 4ohms verses 8ohms thing.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:21 AM   #6

You're so lucky that yours actually showed up at your dealer. Mine is still nowhere in sight, ordered 3/15. Who knows...? Very nice looking unit, good luck with it!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Mr Wilson, I have the same unit as you and know exactly what you are going through. Not sure if you would be interested in this but we did it and it worked out great.... had the dealer hook up an hdmi cord to the tv and run it down through the hole in the cabinet under the tv. We then hooked a blu ray player up to the tv and for surround sound I purchased a plug from radio shack that has the 1.8 plug(I believe thats what its called) on one end and the red and white rca plugs on the other end. Plugged the rca to the back audio outs on the blu ray and the other plug to the front of the radio. Surround sound plays though AV1 on the radio and not only does it sound great, we have a hi def picture from the blu ray. I gave up on dvd. Whats the point of a hi def tv if your gonna watch regular dvds and this way you dont gave to worry if the kicker stuff will work or not. Give it a shot.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #8

One more thing... if you want surround from the tv you can buy another cord like I mentioned before and you or have your dealer hook it up to the audio out on the back of the tv. Then all you have to do is buy a y adapter for the 1.8 plug and plug it to the radio. Seems like a lot but it will definately work and cost way cheaper than a new home theater system.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaque View Post
Mr Wilson, I have the same unit as you and know exactly what you are going through. Not sure if you would be interested in this but we did it and it worked out great.... had the dealer hook up an hdmi cord to the tv and run it down through the hole in the cabinet under the tv. We then hooked a blu ray player up to the tv and for surround sound I purchased a plug from radio shack that has the 1.8 plug(I believe thats what its called) on one end and the red and white rca plugs on the other end. Plugged the rca to the back audio outs on the blu ray and the other plug to the front of the radio. Surround sound plays though AV1 on the radio and not only does it sound great, we have a hi def picture from the blu ray. I gave up on dvd. Whats the point of a hi def tv if your gonna watch regular dvds and this way you dont gave to worry if the kicker stuff will work or not. Give it a shot.

X2.....exactly
Leroy2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #10

Didn't think of doing it that way. Might have to start taking it apart to make it better. I am not the kind if person that let's the dealer do much so I will take it apart and do it myself. I have put in several of these in cars so I am familiar with them. Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

I have a new 2014 xlr 395 amp and never owned a toy hauler. Besides the brake lines being too long coming out of axles to elec brakes the unit is amazing . Would lov to hear more experiences with xlr395 amp owners

cheers

scott
l395scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 AM   #12

We picked ours up a few weeks ago and having plenty of issues, the so called stereo is one , maybe needs to be changed out. Any one having problems with hydraulic slides? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1401428306.185279.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	53794
beerrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerrun View Post
We picked ours up a few weeks ago and having plenty of issues, the so called stereo is one , maybe needs to be changed out. Any one having problems with hydraulic slides? Attachment 53794
That is one BIG and nice looking toy hauler, What are you using for a TV? Plus do you find it hard to find places to get that in at. Most State Parks are older with smaller trailer spaces? You must have to do your homework of where your going to stay. Your combo looks great together......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #14

TV is 2014 ram 2500 4x4, pull
Old 05-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #15

Sorry big thumbs, tv pulls trailer very good. As for state parks have been to two different ones in Texas and yes they are very small the selection at cedar hill state park on joe pool lake was good unless u wanted next to water. Also stayed several nights at Fort Richardson State Park in Jacksboro Nice little park just have to watch for low trees.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #16

Nice lookin combo you got there beerun.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #17

Heck yeah, that's a nice combo!! Congrats!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote