Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
CUZISA2

New XLR

My husband and I just purchased a XLR 340x12. We've never had a 5th wheel before and are trying to figure things out as we go. I did have a few of questions for other owners.

First, the XLR standards options list a TV, sound bar and subwoofer in the living room. We did not get a subwoofer when we purchased. The plugs are there and when we asked the dealer no one seemed to know. Did anyone else not receive a subwoofer?

Second, I don't think we've figured out the water heater. The light is lit on the panel but we didn't have hot water. Couldn't seem to figure out.

Third, is there some kind of clip that can be added to the outside access storage door on the drivers side? It lifts up but you have to hold it open with your hand. Since that's where the jack leveling panel us at its a bit of a pain.

Fourth, what type of screens should we buy to cover outside vents. When we went to a local Camping World they didn't have screens for any Forest River products. I thought these were fairly universal.

Thank you for any help!
mgmalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #2
Harleyrider

We have a 350x12 XLR Thunderbolt. Our subwoofer is behind the panel in the right side storage compartment. I haven't quite figured out the water heater but I just flip the switch out behind the heater panel and it hested the water. May be able to do from inside. Third ours does have a clip that holds the storage door.
harleyrider03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmalm View Post
My husband and I just purchased a XLR 340x12. We've never had a 5th wheel before and are trying to figure things out as we go. I did have a few of questions for other owners.

First, the XLR standards options list a TV, sound bar and subwoofer in the living room. We did not get a subwoofer when we purchased. The plugs are there and when we asked the dealer no one seemed to know. Did anyone else not receive a subwoofer?

Second, I don't think we've figured out the water heater. The light is lit on the panel but we didn't have hot water. Couldn't seem to figure out.

Third, is there some kind of clip that can be added to the outside access storage door on the drivers side? It lifts up but you have to hold it open with your hand. Since that's where the jack leveling panel us at its a bit of a pain.

Fourth, what type of screens should we buy to cover outside vents. When we went to a local Camping World they didn't have screens for any Forest River products. I thought these were fairly universal.

Thank you for any help!
Can help you with a couple of questions.
Assume your water heater is on Propane. If the light is lit, then it means that it didn't light. The light on the panel should go out in a minute or so once it lights. Make sure your propane tank has gas and it turned on, then light your stove and get the air out of the line. Then try your water heater again.

For the outside door, you can buy clips or magnets at camping world to install to hold the door open.

The screens are specific to the type of furnace and water heater you have. Just measure the openings and then look for the size you need. They won't be listed under Forrest River.

Hope that helps you some
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:

Thank you for any help!
1- Our came with the sub woofer.
2-make sure the propane is on and shut the switch off and turn it back on in a few minutes.air maybe in the line .
3- I was told by the dealer that no clip was installed to prevent damaging the outside access. If a clip was installed and the access was held open, the slide could damage the access as the slide opened or closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #5

I just purchased a 300x12hp.

I will check on subwoofer. I didn't look.

I second what others said on water heater.

I also thought that no clip on the auto level pocket door is ridiculous.

I will be installing one on mine.
bulldog4949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
CUZISA2

Thank you! Going to check the compartment for the subwoofer. Not sure what to do about the storage door clip. What style is on yours? I'll have to see if I can purchase something and get it installed.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #7
Harleyrider

I looked at my rv to see if the left compartment door is below the bedroom slide out and it is not. The catch that I have is the style that you flip out and is spring loaded to catch and hold the door open. If your slide out conflicts with the door being open it may be a bad idea to have the clip retain the door open. Also there are some videos on water heater operation on youtube. I flip the switch at the water heater to use the electrical power rather than the gas power. Just have to remember to shut that switch off.
harleyrider03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

Maybe your WH is in bypass??

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #9

I was thinking the same thing, WW...

Are you sure there's water in the HWH? Like burp the pressure relief valve and make sure water is coming out...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:08 PM   #10

When we got ours the bypass line between the cold water feed into the water heater and the hot water output was not closed so it was mixing cold water with the hot coming out of the heater...so never got hot water. Make sure that valve is closed and that should solve the problem.

The subwoofer is located in the basement storage area. You have to drop the access panel to see the plumbing for the water heater anyway.

We put a piece of velcro on the latch and the side of the rig to hold up the roadside access door. If our bedroom slide is closed the door will make contact with the panel door.

Hope that helps.
Wingnut647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #11
CUZISA2

Thanks so much everyone. I think we've got the WH figured out. Now I've got a new question for you. Going to buy mud dobber screens and not sure what works on our unit. I measured the water heater vent at 6 3/4 x 8 3/4 and the furnace vent at 7 1/4 x 3 1/4. When I look on line the measurements aren't the same. Also, when I went to camping world they told me they didn't know what to use for my unit.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #12
Just Love to Camp

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone. I think we've got the WH figured out. Now I've got a new question for you. Going to buy mud dobber screens and not sure what works on our unit. I measured the water heater vent at 6 3/4 x 8 3/4 and the furnace vent at 7 1/4 x 3 1/4. When I look on line the measurements aren't the same. Also, when I went to camping world they told me they didn't know what to use for my unit.
Check the manufacturer of the hot water heater and the furnace. You should be able to find screens that way. Good luck. Welcome to the XLR family and Happy Camping

2012 F450
Virginia
TheFordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #13

I made my own with aluminum screen... Taped to the inside. Furnace screen a bit trickier; have to take it apart.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #14

If you post a pic of your furnace vents, that would let everyone know what you have and be able to recommend the right screen(s). Some of the furnace vents are in a rectangular base, and some of them are two circular openings, so there are different types of screens.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
I made my own with aluminum screen... Taped to the inside. Furnace screen a bit trickier; have to take it apart.
X2...use alum screen with alum tape for all openings including ac vents on top of roof, not only does it work great and look good but a lot less expensive than aftermarket screens

Old 05-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #16

Kind'a crude on the inside, but OK outside. I made screen covers for the fridge but would rather gave a good after market covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431888553153.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	77214   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431888568407.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	77216   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431888588865.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	77219  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 PM   #17
CUZISA2

We're going to try making our own screens. Great idea. I'll let you know how it works.

The storage compartment does conflict with the bedroom slide. I'm still going to try installing something. I won't have this door open except for when I'm hooking up or un-hooking and the slide will be in. I'm thinking the T-style would be best since it will give me more space from the camper side.

I've looked everywhere for the sub woofer that is supposed to come standard on our unit and we do not have one. I've contacted the dealer again and Forest River. Can someone send me a pic so I can get an idea of its size. Thank you.

Tags
xlr