Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #1

Newbie generator question

I am thinking of buying the 29hfs. It does not have a generator. Does forest river install,the wiring and I just need to go guy the generator? I have read some posts and it sounds like some might be prewired. That would be great.What fuel,does the onan use,propane. Or should I be looking for a gas tank too.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

If the trailer has a generator prep package which includes the gas pump station then it is all prewired including a transfer switch. I just installed one myself and it was fairly easy. Gas lines are there for EVAP or non EVAP. I also insulated the compartment with boom mat to make it quieter.I would go with gasoline over propane as gas is always easier to find.
bigdog64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

Thanks big dog, I guess it does not come prewired nor the fuel tank because it is not listed on the options list, so I would have to get that all done. Any idea of the cost of this after I purchase or make it part of the deal?
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #4

I orderd my trailer with it and it was less than 500.00. But to install afterwards I would assume to be pretty expensive.A cheaper alternative would be to put a portable unit on the front rack.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
2014 XLR 27HFS

I picked up my 27HFS in January and installed an Onan last month. Mine had all the pre-wiring so it was a breeze. I didn't even know what a transfer switch was until I read some posts on this site. It was under the bed just waiting for the generator output wires.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #6

I'm in the same boat as you, have the 29hfs without the gen prep. I will be adding a portable gen on the front rack and adding the auto transfer switch myself, so far it looks to be a pain to run the cabling since everything in front of the garage appears to be enclosed, however it appears to be easy to open, just a lot of screws to remove and replace. Will be a weekend job for sure!!
TexGent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #7

You could just run your shore power cord directly to your portable gen. and save a lot of work.I did that until I purchased a onan 4000.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #8

I've actually been thinking of doing just that. However since we always do some walmart camping on the way to our final destination and the better half doesn't like seeing the bright yellow cord, looks like I've got some work to do The truck camper I had before, we did exactly that, but the cord was hid in the bed of the truck, so all that shown was the plug itself.
TexGent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, newbie