Old 06-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

Newbie question about loading

So I have no shame in admitting I have a newbie question about loading our XLR 29HFS. This is the first time we are loading it, so we are still setting up the WDH.
Our toys are 2 Indian motorcycles.
My question is do we load the bikes hooked up to the TV, check measurements, then disconnect and make adjustments if needed to WDH, or load unhooked, set up WDH, and then connect to TV? Thanks for any advice!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Usually Confused Member

My Vengeance has similar weights as the 29HFS but is a little shorter. When setting up the first thing I got was actual tongue weights using a Sherline scale reading the weight directly at the coupler. The tongue weight reduced about 125 pounds when the Harley was loaded (about 925 pounds) when compared to the unloaded weight. I'm not sure what your number will be because it's directly related to the position of the bike in relation to the axle.

When my WD hitch was set up it was done without the Harley on board. When the bike is loaded the back end of the truck raises about ⅛ inch. Looking at the floorplan for your unit it appears the bikes will be loaded further behind the axles than mine is so you'll probably get a larger reduction in tongue weight when loaded. Someone with more knowledge will have to comment on how much weight change requires readjusting the WD hitch setup. I do know that with a 125 pound reduction I cannot feel any difference in towing characteristics.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Keeping your bikes as close to the wall as possible, you will see about 25% of weight of the bikes (mol) come off the tongue weight. A potential problem will be keeping 10% ( minimum) tongue weight ratio (TWR) while not exceeding GVWR of the unit. You have to limit the things you will not need, place all you can towards the front, and add fresh water (tank) to bring the TWR up to a safe ratio. It will be hard to impossible to carry 2 heavy bikes and not exceed GVWR. Load it up and weigh it to be sure, then if its a go, adjust WDH as needed.
WW
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Keeping your bikes as close to the wall as possible, you will see about 25% of weight of the bikes (mol) come off the tongue weight. A potential problem will be keeping 10% ( minimum) tongue weight ratio (TWR) while not exceeding GVWR of the unit. You have to limit the things you will not need, place all you can towards the front, and add fresh water (tank) to bring the TWR up to a safe ratio. It will be hard to impossible to carry 2 heavy bikes and not exceed GVWR. Load it up and weigh it to be sure, then if its a go, adjust WDH as needed.
WW
CCC in the 29 is 2642lbs. Our bikes together way about 1500. We will not be traveling with a full tank of water so that leaves about thousand pounds for our gear
Old 06-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

Sounds good TR, but 1000# is reached easier than I imagined. Keep in mind even the batteries are CCC. Weigh it to know for sure. And frankly, I wouldn't worry if I am a few pounds over. I just move things around and even into the truck as needed. I sure didn't know an Indian only weighs 750# my triumph weighs that much.
WW

Tags