Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajean View Post
Thanks..especially wolf whistle. I picked it up today. Dang it is long. Getting use to driving in lots. I had a quick walk through, now I have more questions.
The battery disconnect does not seem to work. It is flimsy.....i added a battery and I thought I could turn it off at the disconnect, on the right side of the bed 29hfs. but it did not turn off the radio. What do I need to do if I plug in to ac verses operating on dc
Thanks
John
Your welcome John,
The disconnect (handle) being flimsy was my first thought when I saw it, but that is what they use. It is plastic, but not cheap plastic, if this makes sense. The actual electrical component is quite heavy duty. More than the fact that the handle is breakable, my concern was more that a foot could easily break it off, due to its placement down near the floor on the bed platform.

It does (or SHOULD) disconnect the battery. But, only when you are on battery only; if you are plugged into 110vac, as some call "shore power" (as if we owned boats rather than trailers) the 12vDc lights, etc. will continue to burn, because you are not running on the batteries; rather on the converter, which converts AC to DC, as you probably know, and actually are charging the batteries (or over-charging :-). However, if you are not on 'shore power', this switch does disconnect the batteries and everything 12vdc goes dark... again... SHOULD go dark. I say everything, I have not proven this... I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think so.

Another point and a word of caution! The battery cable (+ or RED) that run into the generator compartment is connected...might be live! I suspect this was because the 'tech' at the dealer didn't know not to connect it at the battery. Mine was; when I slipped a plastic box into the compartment, the RED and BLACK cable ends touched and looked like an arch welder. I taped the heck out of them. I might never have the Onan in the compartment.

The disconnect switch does not disconnect this live lead from battery to generator... naturally, this would defeat the ability to start the generator remotely.

The reason I taped them rather than disconnect that second cable at the battery (you could do it this way) is because now, I have wired it to an Inverter that I have in the generator bay to run 110vac powered things, like: battery charger for drill or air compressor... anything you want, so long as the 'anything' doesn't require more power (watts) that the inverter can handle. Of course, you know, inverters change DC to AC... battery power to household power. The one I have doesn't produce what is called a 'pure' sine wave, but I don't seem to need one that does... $10 at a yard sale.

You apparently have the generator prep package... or the actual Onan generator, you didn't say. If you have a generator, you would first turn the battery cut-off switch to OFF and start the generator and the generator would supply the trailer and the converter with 110vac and the lights would come back on.

I wonder if you were trying to turn off the radio because off the annoying blue light that might be too bright at night?? If so, just pop the face-plate and put it in a drawer... then no more blue light.... the Dual radio does have an option to change the brightness, but the lowest setting is still pretty bright.

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #22

When I picked the unit up, I brought my own battery and I like you founded out the cables were hot. Once the battery was in place and ready to travel i turned off the battery key, but everything still worked....it will because it was electrified from the truck connection. It only kills all the power when unhooked from truck.
laurajean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags