Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Newbie XLR 29 hfs

Picking up our camper on Monday. Never owned one. Looking for some basic guidance.
I pick it up and then have to travel 1000 miles home. At this point I don't know what I don' know.
What are some of the basics I will need to purchase? It does not have a generator, will buy a Honda later. I will camp in it the first night on the way home. Stopping at a state campground to plug it in. I know there are a lot of goodies out there but what are the basics. I heard don't skimp on the 20 ft black water hose. I am unsure what comes on this TT as a hook up for shore power.
Anything specific to be able to hook to power the first night.
All comments welcome........

Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Just about every RV comes with a cord. Prob either 30 or 50 amp one. You will need a white hose for water hookup, 20-30 feet of sewer hose to dump all your tanks, and a cable cord if you choose to want cable tv. Don't know if your rig comes with a starter kit which may include some if these but at tr very least it will have a power cord.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

Not sure if you have ever driven a trailer before but it is always great to have 1 or 2 sets of eyes on the back of the camper when backing it in to the spot. One thing that happened to me was I am used to swinging the trailer wide when making a turn with my boat but a camper has a little bit more on the end past the wheels. I swung it a little wide while pulling thru our camp spot one time and brushed a tree just on the left rear and it slightly separated the trim about mid way up on the corner. Just please be careful and go slow when backing in or pulling thru in tight areas.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #4

I would also buy a WD Hitch I think the tongue weight is a little heavier than stated and if you add two batteries and both tanks are full of propane and you put anything on the rack such as a generator you will be tongue heavy. The Shore power line and a small hose for the exterior water connection is all that comes with it unless the dealer offers a starter kit.

If you are going to camp on the way back be sure to get you some chemicals for your toilet and take some bed linens that is only a cover on the mattress I actually took a sleeping bag and used it when I picked mine up I only had to drive back 500 miles. I would get them to put some fresh water in your water tank so if you have to stop and use the bathroom you can flush.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #5

You'll need a water pressure regulator and some wheel chocks too.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

And some leveling blocks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #7

You should invest in a surge protector also. I was camping a month ago and the power pedestal beside me shorted out and we lost power several people had problems with equipment not working after that but all of my equipment worked fine because I did have a surge protector. Most of the appliances have some type of circuit board in them which power surges will destroy.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #8

Thanks...Great comments. I did buy an equi I zer WD. After reading it seems like the best bet.
I still need to get a water hose and sewer hose. What is the most common lengths for the water or sewer hose. I think 20ft sewer and 50ft water.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 AM   #9

I got a 10 ft and a 25 ft for drinking and then a 25 foot green hose for washing the black water tank I also got an inline water filter. On the sewer I got a 15 foot and a 10 foot plus a clear elbow so I would know when it was clean. You will also want yo get the wheel chocks that you put between the tires to lock them. I level the tires and put the wheel chocks at the wheels before I un hook.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 PM   #10

Welcome to the XLR family! You have gotten some good advice! I agree that a 10' and 25' white water hose is a good idea. Coiling a 50' hose is a pita. Harbor Freight sells nice black rubber wheel chocks to use BEFORE unhooking the trailer. I cut a 1"x4" board and use it for leveling the trailer. I also cut a 4"x4" board to use under the tongue. You will be amazed how often you need them all.

I advise making a departure and arrival checklist - if you want to PM me, I can send you our lists. You will struggle a little at first but backing, unhooking, and hooking up becomes easier soon.

Congratulations!

Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags