Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #1

Nitro 29 UDQL5

Going to pick up a 29 UDQL5 on Friday, just had to tell somebody! I have noticed that there is not a lot of posts on the trailer? Would love to hear from fellow owners!
phildrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 PM   #2

From my signature you can see I have the little 29HFS Hyperlite. I just looked at the model you are getting and I like the layout. It isn't "over the top" so to speak (a plus); smaller than some, but if full-timing, it would be nice. And, it isn't "over the top". The price seems very good. What are you pulling it with?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #3

I like the floor plan as well. Should tow a lot better than ours for sure. Most of the XLRs are pretty similar with options and layouts. I wouldn't be worried if there aren't too many with that exact model.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #4

WolfWhistle, this may get a little long winded but somebody might benefit from all my trial and error.

I started RVing in a 27HFS. Pulled it with a 1/2 ton 09 GMC Sierra 5.3L and Blue Ox WDH. Wrung the truck out like a dish rag. Went to a 3/4 ton GMC 6.0L much more stable towing. Love the 27HFS, I call it "the little big trailer", but getting a little tight with a growing family of 4. It has been a great camper, not any issues except a brake wire came loose at the drum.

Wanted to upsize to a 30HFS 5er, but they came and went like a 18 wheeler in the night! Looked at the 30HDS when it came out, but almost felt like I was making a parallel move and might be looking for another trailer in 3-4 yrs. Didn't really like the two dump connections on it either, if I'm hooking a sewer hose to dump, one connection is enough ! Never had a 5er before, but always heard they were more stable towing.

This brings me to the 29UDQL5. Like you said its "not over the top" and thats what I wanted. I wanted something in the 35 foot range and there is only a couple of them out there in this range and weight. I chose XLR because of my current experience with the Hyper Lite and the other brands that I looked at did not seem to be as good of quality. I call this 29udql5 "the little big 5er".

To answer your question, I will be pulling it with a 06 Chevrolet 3500 w/ a Dmax.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #5

I too have a smaller trailer but so far I really have enjoyed it. This is my first RV and it is only for my wife and I. My first trip was 450 round trip to OKC and had no issues. Enjoy your new rig!

2016 Hyper Lite 30 hds
Old 08-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #6

I like that isn't too big. It seems too big for me, but I like it. Work and Play has several models in a 5er or gooseneck that reminds me of horse trailers or cargo trailers; they are probably less than 11 feet tall. The floor is also low which makes loading and unloading easy breezy... as well as less steps up. I can't see a reason to put a trailer into the stratosphere if it isn't necessary. My next might be an aluminum Featherlite Cargo GN with a custom interior. You can get it finished, but very expensive. Not so bad to get it with 50 amp, AC, and a 8 foot slide. It comes with 7000# axles and E rated tires. It might never happen but a 26 footer is actually 34 feet since they don't count the 8 foot over the GN. Congrats on the new TH

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #7

Yep, the height is what concerns me the most. My 27 HFS is about two feet shorter than this trailer. Hope crosswinds are not an issue. I have already thought that I would have to come up with some creative ways to load my bike with it being higher off the ground. We'll see how it goes and I'll post with what I find after a little time with it...
Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #8

If it has a dove tail, loading / unloading is probably easier than your old trailer.

I think the short W&P I mentioned (as are the Feather Lites) are less than 10 feet tall. My 29HFS is 10'11" precisely.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #9

The trailer does have a dove tail, and I think you are right about it being easier to load even though the ramp is steeper. The break over angle at the point of entry seems to be lessened due to the dove tail. Wow this trailer seems so tall from what I'm used to. I will respond with more information after this weekend. Man the private bedroom up front sure is nice!
Old 08-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #10

I keep calling Dove tail
Its a Beaver Tail. It sho 'nuff is nice!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 08-29-2015, 09:43 PM   #11

W&P is a cargo trailer with some converted (limited) living space. Higher cargo cap, but heavy as heck! XLRs are campers with a garage. Less cargo cap, but nicer living space. Loading and unloading not a problem, for the most part. Height not an issue, either. I do feel a little like an abandoned orphan with FR discontinuing the HFS-5, though.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:26 PM   #12

Had several friends over last night and we spent some time hanging out in the Nitro in the driveway. The two oposing couches with table in the garage combined with the party deck made for a real spacious area to hang out in. The gals hung out there while the guys kicked back in the recliners on the couch in the living room. These rooms combined with a private bedroom up front and two foot higher ceilings make it seem way larger than my 27hfs. The 27hfs was 30-31 feet from the trucks bumper to the back of the trailer and this trailer is about the same length from the trucks back bumper because of the added length being above the truck bed. But this trailer definitely looks, feels, and is taller than my 27HFS.

Towing wise you can definetly feel the added weight from a getting it up to speed and keeping at speed standpoint. At interstate speeds it tows more stable and tracks straight down the road. It seems less susceptible to sway and wind influences from passing 18 wheelers.

The LED lighting inside and out is much better than the old style lights. Wish there was a dedicated light switch in the living/kitchen area other than on the main control panel behind a cabinet door. So far the reclining couch, separate private bedroom, led lighting, and garage seating with party deck are favorite features. Will be camping soon to see what else can be discovered!
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #13

You could put a remote with dimmer on the lights so you can run them from anywhere?

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #14

WolfWhistle,
Sounds like a good idea. Is that something that could be found in the lighting department at a home improvement store? Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:22 AM   #15

I have a remote on/off with dimmer on two LED strips (factory awning and one I added over inside slide (very cool). I used single channel remotes due to the logistics of the distance apart. First link is the ones I have....

PWM 12V Remote Dimmer

They have 2 channel controllersm too, but would require more wiring considerations. Make sure it can handle the wattage (current) of the lights you are going to control.

None remote...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2812612...chn=ps&lpid=82

I also found this kind without remote.
Jr Products 12185 Brown Dimmer on Off Switch with Bezel | eBay

WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #16

Thanks for the info on the dimmers. I'm in the middle of installing wheel chocks right now and am going to look into the dimmers next. Been camping in it and everything seems to be working fine. The trailer is screwed together really well. I really liked the quality and craftsmanship of my 27HFS, and this one is just the same. The extra foot in the garage really makes a difference. It is a tall trailer, but the extra head room makes it feel really roomy on the inside.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #17

The Nitos are taller and heavier but there are models (including yours), I like better than the hyperlites. If you like the quality of the 27 you should love the 29UDQL5!!
Have fun!

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas