Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Ordering 29HFS

Greetings from Upstate NY!!

I've been lurking for the past couple of months to determine which TH to order.

We decided on the 29HFS and are getting ready to place our order today. Got price quote from RVW and local dealer came pretty close to that, so buying local for service support.

Will be towing with 2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gasser 4.10 so Pretty sure I'll be ok with WDH. (Probably Equalizer) Toy is a Ural Gear Up - approx 800-850lbs - need a 6' x 8' spot for clearance minimum to top of windshield is approx. 62".

A couple questions/opinions perhaps you good folks can help me with;

Factory Power Tongue Jack - what rating & brand is it? $290 option from factory. Good deal or better off buying own & adding it myself?

Elec Bed w/Max Clearance Dinette - With both units up in the ceiling storage location what is the distance of the clearance - from bottom of dinette to floor?

15K BTU AC unit - $181 upgrade from the 13.5K unit. Worth it?

WDH - Is bigger better? I'm thinking of just getting the 2-1/2" shank 1400/14000 unit. Overkill or extra piece of mind?

Thanks!
nybigdog82162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #2

NyBD, that price might not be high for a Barker; too much for a light weight Chinese model. The new pass thru dinette can fold against wall leaving close to 5'11" to bottom if upper bed you should confirm that us still the case. As for the 15000btu AC unit, I would jump on that. A 1200/12000 WDH would he enough but if the larger one is close to the same $$$ I might do that.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #3

NyDB,
I was able to get my local dealer within $1k on Couch's online price but MANY here did not have such luck. Make sure your local dealer has listed all the additional costs he will be charging. The big one for me was the delivery charge. That was most of my dealers extra cost but he did throw in the power front jack, which helped.

If you are going to use any of the items in the trailer, I would suggest upgrading if you can from the factory (i.e. AC, Fans, etc...). I did go to the 15k AC and had Fantastic Fans installed. But also check what the costs are. For example, I got my fan covers online and installed them myself because that was much cheaper than what the factory wanted.

I can't measure the height of the dinette in the garage since my trailer is still in storage but WW is 99.99999999999% right on the money... :-)

As for the WDH. I went with an Anderson Hitch and have loved it. Search the forum for what others have said/used.

And last but not least....Happy Camping...
Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

Steve, I think your estimation of my %%% is a bit high, but not bad since I have no idea... But I did stay a Holiday Inn Express. Since you have one and like it; is the Anderson 1200# TW?
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

Thanks for response gents. Yeah a got within $1k of RVW and thought that was good as well, considering RVW is over 9 hours, one way. Easier if & when warranty work had to happen.

Thought 15K AC was a no brainer, based on searches here understand I can still run it with 30AMP service.

Via search I saw allot of reliability issues with the Lippert jack...I'll just buy the Barker and install myself. Looks very easy...just need to find out what size hole in plate. 2"? 2-1/4"?
nybigdog82162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
Steve, Since you have one and like it; is the Anderson 1200# TW?
WW
WW,
I got the AM3380 model from Hitchesonline. It's listed as - "14,000 lbs GTWR 2-5/16" ball - 1,400 lbs tongue weight" This is over my current TV specs but I hope to upgrade to a full ton next year.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #7

15k AC is a must wish they would of had 2 AC option also the winter package just for the dual pane windows and heated tanks I feel is worth the cost - insulation not so much - dual pane really cuts down on moisture and noise

I would definitely buy local if a dealer would come within a few K but no luck in WA
Play Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #8

You're lucky you can buy local, we didn't have a local dealer and the closest one is over an hour away and was $3k higher than Couch's price. From everything we read it's well worth the a/c upgrade and the extreme weather package, not just for the added insulation, the heated tanks and better windows but we were told it cuts down on outside noise. If you want to save a few $ add your own jack, it should bolt right on, you'll just have to wire it.
Tims29hfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play Harder View Post
15k AC is a must wish they would of had 2 AC option also the winter package just for the dual pane windows and heated tanks I feel is worth the cost - insulation not so much - dual pane really cuts down on moisture and noise

I would definitely buy local if a dealer would come within a few K but no luck in WA
X2 on the so called "Extreme Weather Package" No only does the dual pane glass virtually eliminate sweating when heating in very cold weather, but they are much easier to open... the non escape ones are very hard to open. The tank heater option is a plus... If ordering now, I would not get the gen prep (going solar anyway), but spend the money on the EWP and probably fantastic fans (bath and master), because the garage needs its own (I'm still considering a 9.2K back there that a single Honda EU2000 could run) and would also get an awning slide cover from the factory. From what I am reading on here lately, it seems some local dealers are being more competitive that they used to be. Obviously, make sure you are comparing the identical optioned unit with these dealers.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 03-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #10

Watch for sales at CW and others. Always bought the power jack for around $150 at CW. Only 3 bolts just make certain to chock wheels and brace the frame. I also replaced the factory bolts with SS.

If only going to have 1 AC, yes go with the 15K.

I would not go far over on the hitch at all unless a bigger trailer is in the near future. It does no good and many go to a 5er when they upgrade. Bigger only adds more weight. I do like the Equalizer 4 point with sway control best.

You mentioned 30 amp. You will not be able to run a 2nd AC unless a 50 amp service.

That's my 2 cents ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybigdog82162 View Post
Greetings from Upstate NY!!

I've been lurking for the past couple of months to determine which TH to order.

We decided on the 29HFS and are getting ready to place our order today. Got price quote from RVW and local dealer came pretty close to that, so buying local for service support.

Will be towing with 2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gasser 4.10 so Pretty sure I'll be ok with WDH. (Probably Equalizer) Toy is a Ural Gear Up - approx 800-850lbs - need a 6' x 8' spot for clearance minimum to top of windshield is approx. 62".

A couple questions/opinions perhaps you good folks can help me with;

Factory Power Tongue Jack - what rating & brand is it? $290 option from factory. Good deal or better off buying own & adding it myself?

Elec Bed w/Max Clearance Dinette - With both units up in the ceiling storage location what is the distance of the clearance - from bottom of dinette to floor?

15K BTU AC unit - $181 upgrade from the 13.5K unit. Worth it?

WDH - Is bigger better? I'm thinking of just getting the 2-1/2" shank 1400/14000 unit. Overkill or extra piece of mind?

Thanks!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #11

Do the max clearance dinette that fold down haul pretty good? I see there is a pin you pull? I assume when there down they don't move around I just bought a new 2015 with bed and dinette Rzr won't even come close to fitting. It didn't come with the foldable brackets didn't realize until I got it home. I can switch the brackets but there not cheap$$ but so far love everything else. We took a 9 hour road trip to pick it up but saved thousands mainly because being a 2015. Just curious on how those brackets work thanks
Rzrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

Mine unit is a 2015 30hds they had a new 29 hfs also it was way cheaper than the 2016 new. Might check it out All season Rv in MI. It had a lot of options and they were great to work with Ernie is who I worked with. I'm all about saving money.
Rzrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #13

CJ, actually there is a low cost option when adding a second AC in a 30amp rig, like mine. You can run a 12-2 down from the AC unit, through a circuit breaker to the utility compartment behind the shore plug (and all the rest); rather than spending the money to upgrade the whole distribution / wiring system. We have access to the back of the utility area, which make it easy. I would suggest adding circuit breaker inside the access compartment. Even can fish under the tube into the toy bay. So, when on shore power, there will be two cords: 20 amp feeding the 2nd AC the other as normal on a 30 amp cord. I also have a 50amp to two 30amp adapter / cord (bought from Youroo) that when 50amp is available, one leg feeds the EMS on 30 amp cord the other with a 30 to 20 adapter, feeds (or will feed) the independent second AC unit. Since that 20amp 120v feed isn't managed by the EMS, I would get out the volt meter before hooking up for reversals, etc. and be careful. WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas