Old 06-26-2014, 03:21 PM   #1

Picked up our XLR 29hfs

Hello all, just bought the unit in Ohio and toured the plant in Indiana before heading back to Florida. Great trip. Plant tour was really cool . We were able to see axles to finished product.
I figured I better try and fit it in now. My wife and daughter liked the tour a lot.
I installed the 12 k Equilizer hitch. Fairly easy to install with the correct tools. The unit pulled great with my Dodge 3500. However the bone jarring pot holes down interstate 69, 65 and 24 make me rethink camping north of the Mason-Dixon Line. We camped at a state park in Hardy IN. We came in late but were able to get comfortable and begin checking out the new unit. Nice to make a fire and just relax before the 12 hour ride the next day.

Trying to figure out where a rv fits on the refueling food chain. I like the truck stops, only filled up in the semi lane once, got a few looks, but what a hassle going back and forth to pay, otherwise you can join the circus in the auto fueling lanes. Although we did find a truck stop with auto fueling in one area, rv's in another and then the truck fueling in back. That was the best.

Has anyone found a 3000 generator to fit in the front rack on the tongue?
I like the Honda 3000 is.

Any ideas on how to keep the top of the slide free of debri? Parked under a tree and had a heck of a time getting up to inspect for loose pine cones.

Looking forward to all of you cool ideas and best practices. It was our first time camping in an RV and it was very cool!

John

Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #2

Hi laurajean,

Hope your enjoying your 29hfs!

As for a gen on the front. I have the honda 3000 is. I tried it on the tongue, but the vibration to the inside of the trailer was unacceptable to us. Also the gen is no lightweight and maneuvering it to that location is not fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 06-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Oh as for debris on the top of the slide, we looked at several awning ideas, and decided against them. Instead I have a telescoping ladder I carry in my truck. I just set it up and use a broom to remove any debris before closing the slide.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #4

Text gent, was the honda 3000 adequate for your use and where did you end up storing it?
Any other comments about the honda 3000 is appreciated.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 PM   #5

I've actually had the honda 3000is for close to 13 years, have used it on several RVs I've had. It runs like a champ, starts every time and is so quiet that you can hold a discussion right beside it.

It can run everything in the 29hfs, as long as you don't try to run the microwave and ac at the same time. My unit has the 15,000 btu unit and I've only had it overload once. You can always add a hard start capacitor to the ac to aid in initial start up however still wouldn't run the mw at the same time.

If I ever have to replace it, I will take 2 of the honda 2000is run in parallel. You should be able to run both the ac and mw at the same time, plus that combo is much easier to lift as compared to the 3000is. When I first got it years ago, I lifted it by myself. These days that would put me in the hospital...lol

Old 06-27-2014, 12:02 AM   #6

As for storage, I have a cargo carrier That I mount to a front hitch I installed on my truck. It is secured to it and hardwired to an outlet I have in the bed of the truck. This allows me to run it while driving to cool the trailer off before we reach our destination. Most of our travels are between florida and Texas, so the summer heat can get the best of us.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:53 AM   #7

Thats a cool idea, TexGent. Where or how to you run the AC cord to the trailer?
Wolf
Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #8

Hey Wolf, I actually haven't completed the setup on the 29hfs yet as I did on my last RV. What I plan to do, is run another cable from the compartment where you installed your outlet that is next to the slide out to a receptacle out the front by the cargo carrier.

In that same panel I will be installing a switch to ensure that both RV receptacles aren't energized at the same time. You could install an auto transfer switch, but those get pricey. If you had the gen prep done, you prolly already have an auto transfer switch installed up front close to the gen compartment, might be under the bed.

Tags
xlr