Old 12-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #1

Portable generator

Hi folks! Im picking up our new 29 HFS in a couple hours and am looking for a good generator that wont break the bank. I like having a portable generator so I can also have it at the house for power outages. Im leaning towards a Honda 3000W but came across a brand named Champion, nearly all 5 star reviews, and about half what the Honda unit costs. Any recommendations?

iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #2

I have the 3100 w/o electric start for I wanted the lowest weight possible.
I also have it for house back up for it can run my furnace (gas) plus refrigerator and some wall electric plugs at the same time ....
No problems so far - starts on the first or second pull every time.
Before buying this I had bought another brand that I returned and the difference on quality and documentation is just astonishing. Champion is way better on that.
If weight is not a big concern, buy the electric start with remote start, that is a great feature.
Also, It has an RV plug so you don't need adapters.....
It runs my camper 15K btu on eco mode (after start) easily.....
I paid less than $700 at Rural King...

RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammoco View Post
Hi folks! Im picking up our new 29 HFS in a couple hours and am looking for a good generator that wont break the bank. I like having a portable generator so I can also have it at the house for power outages. Im leaning towards a Honda 3000W but came across a brand named Champion, nearly all 5 star reviews, and about half what the Honda unit costs. Any recommendations?
I have truly abused my old contractor champion for over 10 years and she still works beautifully. When we bought one for our 5th wheel, I stayed with the champion family. We bought an inverter style on an open frame. It's fairly quiet and will run 3500/4000.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

I have the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel. I run it on propane and have had no problems with it
Keoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Site Team

I too have the champion 3100 with electric and Remote start. Absolutely love it. Can lay in bed watching TV, then turn gen off after movie with push of a button on remote. Better yet, I can push the button the next morning and have coffee going in a couple of minutes without going out. Weighs less than 100 empty. Runs all night on a tank.
And...there's built in delay in power after starting so it sends no power to RV until the engine has mellowed out. My brother and nephew have both offered to buy it from me at my cost $699. But I can't replace it for that now. So no deal. LolClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170624_181755.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	192949

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #6

Assuming you get you tube, watch loloho, a couple that has a evalated a bunch of genators. Their most recent video really likes the Champion wih remote start.

Loloho = long long honeymoon

Personally i have a pair of Honda eu2000 i bought in 2004.

No matter the brand, ethanol fuel is not your friend
Old 12-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #7

you,ll be happy with the champion . go for it
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #8

Top of the line for performance, longevity, and maintainability is Honda. Then Yamaha, then champion. After that, it drops considerably in my opinion.

Several in my group have Hondas that are over 10 years old (mine are approaching 13) and have thousands of hours on them. Can't say that is true in my group for any of the other brands. We all boondock most of the time and really use our generators a lot. Folks who buy the cheaper generators seem to have new ones every year or two. Our friends who are die-hard champion owners always carry an extra carb with them. Your mileage may vary.

So yes, you can get cheaper initial cost generators, but in the long run, Hondas will be far cheaper.......
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Top of the line for performance, longevity, and maintainability is Honda. Then Yamaha, then champion. After that, it drops considerably in my opinion.

Several in my group have Hondas that are over 10 years old (mine are approaching 13) and have thousands of hours on them. Can't say that is true in my group for any of the other brands. We all boondock most of the time and really use our generators a lot. Folks who buy the cheaper generators seem to have new ones every year or two. Our friends who are die-hard champion owners always carry an extra carb with them. Your mileage may vary.

So yes, you can get cheaper initial cost generators, but in the long run, Hondas will be far cheaper.......
Don't want to start another my generator is better then yours thread . but have had issues with hondas also . new carb on my 1000 watt unit . no work on my champions . just start and run . since everybody wants to push what they use as the best it's difficult to get to the truth . My sons uses the champion in his line of work at jobsites and they run 24/7 /365 and have for the last 2 years in all this run time with Champion 4000/3500 open frame units they've only had one issue and champion replaced the unit free of charge . the rest in his fleet of 10 run all the time only needing gas and some oil . if your friends are having problems with their champions i would guess it's the operators more then the generators . of the 3 generators i have one honda and 2 champions all three run and run with out issues except for a new carb in the honda .
MR.M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
.... since everybody wants to push what they use as the best it's difficult to get to the truth ....... if your friends are having problems with their champions i would guess it's the operators more then the generators .
Not arguing with you at all. All we can do is relate the truth as we know it based on our own experiences and observations. Your truth may not be the same as my truth, but they are both the truth. Based on my personal experience I think the champion inverter generators (completely different animal than the contractor units) are the next best thing to Honda/yamaha. You feel the other way... It's all good.

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator