Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

pseudo hot water

On an earlier post, a Forest River owner complained of continuous fluctuations in temperature during showering with really no hot water, just warm. I have the same issue in my 24HFS. Someone recommended checking an closing a bypass valve which allows cold water to enter the hot water plumbing. I checked around the box where the electric water switch is, but couldn't find anything like this. Is anyone familiar where this would be in the XLR series. Other suggestions?
SOONERSALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The bypass is behind the water heater. In my TT there is a cabinet door screwed closed where I could access the bypass. In my 5th wheel it is access in the basement storage area. 3 valves, one at the outlet red pipe usually, 1 inlet blue pipe or clear in come cases and one in-between the two. Close the one in between the in/out valves.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Bypass valves are usually BEHIND the water heater where all the plumbing pipes are located, unless you have a plumbing station. Not being familiar with your particular RV, You may have to remove a panel, go thru a kitchen cabinet, drawer, etc to access them. Since you know where the water heater is located on the outside of your RV, you can go inside the RV and try to figure out how to gain access to the rear of it.

You may have a 1, 2, or 3 valve system. If the 3 valve system, you need the valves set like below for normal use:

No matter the amount of valves, you don't want the cold water in to mix with the hot water out......and need to make sure the "bypass" valve is in the completely off position that ties the two pipe systems together.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

your dealer didn't give you a very good pdi........

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Team

Another thing to check that Herk7769 taught me a few years ago, is the outside shower (if equipped). If you leave the taps on but shut it off at the handheld wand, this also allows the cold and hot water to mix....whenever you use the taps at a sink, indoor shower etc.

The same thing can happen with the inside shower, but it
is not as common, and unless you have replaced the shower wand, it usually drips (unlike the outdoor shower) to let you know the taps are still on there.

Just a couple more ideas for you to check on. Hope it helps.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #6

Bingo! Took awhile to find the valve, but after lifting my bed up front, there it was w the valve open. Closed it and looking forward to a hot shower during our next ad- venture. Thanks for the guidance. As far as the pdi, lol, there wasn't one. Bought it from Jeff Crouch in Ohio who dropped it at my door. The $5000 it saved me from buying locally has been worth it, but certainly a learning curve in learning the systems. I would think a simple manual by either forest river or the dealer would be of great benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SOONERSALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #7

Sorry I didn't see this but glad you found the valve. I have mine closed in my 24hfs and the water for showers is nice and warm, very consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOONERSALT View Post
... I would think a simple manual by either forest river or the dealer would be of great benefit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, that's what this fantastic site is for! I have found SO much helpful advice here, that when I look to upgrade, I'll probably only look at FR rigs. Glad you found your solution!

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water