Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #1

Pushed My Luck (Duro Tires)

Luckily we were only 2.5 miles from home doing 45mph on a country road. Cool, rainy day. Spyder loaded only. Tires were checked before leaving home the day before (63lbs in all 4) saw no obvious problems upon visual inspection. Was pushing my luck with the tires as they all had early to mid 2009 DOT dates. Total trip was 120 miles round trip at speeds never exceeding 60mph. Wife was driving the truck and I was on my other motorcycle out front and neither of us saw anything until we started to park the toyhauler at home.

Damage was only cosmetic, basically what you can see in the picture. Some insulation will have to repaired underneath.. all in all, not bad.

Tires have been replaced (including the spare) with 10ply Maxxis all with a DOT date of early 2013. Didn't want to replace the rims (which are rated for the new tires) and go up to 16s so the "E" rated Maxxis seemed a good solution imho.

So if you have Duros and haven't had one (or more) explode, be careful out there.

2010 XLR 25FKV
2010 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2013 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost, Max Tow
2010 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, 2013 Victory Cross Country
Gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #2

i have been towing a good while (over 100k with another large trailer), and although D rated are "in spec" for the hfs27 hyperlite toyhauler i recently purchased, i'm not gonna chance it and have also decided on 10 ply E rated maxxis tires. Found some for $157 per tire shipped to my door.
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #3

Do you have an estimate of how many miles on the tires?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybill View Post

Luckily we were only 2.5 miles from home doing 45mph on a country road. Cool, rainy day. Spyder loaded only. Tires were checked before leaving home the day before (63lbs in all 4) saw no obvious problems upon visual inspection. Was pushing my luck with the tires as they all had early to mid 2009 DOT dates. Total trip was 120 miles round trip at speeds never exceeding 60mph. Wife was driving the truck and I was on my other motorcycle out front and neither of us saw anything until we started to park the toyhauler at home.

Damage was only cosmetic, basically what you can see in the picture. Some insulation will have to repaired underneath.. all in all, not bad.

Tires have been replaced (including the spare) with 10ply Maxxis all with a DOT date of early 2013. Didn't want to replace the rims (which are rated for the new tires) and go up to 16s so the "E" rated Maxxis seemed a good solution imho.

So if you have Duros and haven't had one (or more) explode, be careful out there.
I feel for you on that one, been there-done that unfortunately, good luck with repair work!

Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

That could have been from running on a flat as well. What ever the cause, your picture is convincing to use good tires on any vehicle. Thanks for the picture.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
Do you have an estimate of how many miles on the tires?

Thanks.
I personally had only put about 1200 miles on them (short trips to the coast and MC rallies). But this toyhauler is a 2010 that I bought in later 2011 and it had been drug around to RV shows in TX so I really don't know actual mileage. The condition and depth of the tread did not suggest high mileage tho.

2010 XLR 25FKV
Old 06-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
That could have been from running on a flat as well. What ever the cause, your picture is convincing to use good tires on any vehicle. Thanks for the picture.
True as we have no idea when the tire actually went down. Since I was out front and the F450 doesn't flinch much pulling this RV, the tire could have gone flat earlier.

2010 XLR 25FKV
Old 06-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I feel for you on that one, been there-done that unfortunately, good luck with repair work!
Thanks. I have gotten all the damaged pieces and parts removed (the fender and the panel behind the wheel). I have a friend that works at a custom coach facility that is going to be doing the repair. Nothing else was hurt except for a little insulation right behind the tire (underside of the floor). That can be replaced with either expanding foam or foam board insulation glued in and some waterproof fabric. I was lucky as the damage could have been a lot worse if this would have happened earlier when we were on the interstate.

2010 XLR 25FKV
Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
i have been towing a good while (over 100k with another large trailer), and although D rated are "in spec" for the hfs27 hyperlite toyhauler i recently purchased, i'm not gonna chance it and have also decided on 10 ply E rated maxxis tires. Found some for $157 per tire shipped to my door.
I am hoping all the reports, reviews and information I have read about Maxxis is true and they do look well constructed. I got mine locally at a small independent store that does a high volume of work. He ordered the tires on Monday, had them on Tuesday and they were installed on Wednesday. Mounted, balanced, steel valve stems, tax out the door was pennies over $148. I was pleased as the local Discount Tire wanted $164 a tire plus mounting/stems/balance/tax.

2010 XLR 25FKV
Old 06-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:

I am hoping all the reports, reviews and information I have read about Maxxis is true and they do look well constructed. I got mine locally at a small independent store that does a high volume of work. He ordered the tires on Monday, had them on Tuesday and they were installed on Wednesday. Mounted, balanced, steel valve stems, tax out the door was pennies over $148. I was pleased as the local Discount Tire wanted $164 a tire plus mounting/stems/balance/tax.
Holy crap that's a great price! My tires were $164 a tire shipped to me and the taken locally for mounting which costed extra (and balancing would have been even more).
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #11

Gypsybill-I'm with you. I'm driving to Alaska in July. I just replaced the OEM tires with Maxxis. I hated to buy new tires when mine were only a year old but after seeing your photo I'm glad I spent the money for the new tires. Thanks for posting that pic. Happy there wasn't more damage to your RV.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Holy crap that's a great price! My tires were $164 a tire shipped to me and the taken locally for mounting which costed extra (and balancing would have been even more).
Do you mean after all the trouble you went thru you didn't balance them?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Do you mean after all the trouble you went thru you didn't balance them?
X2????

Old 06-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #14

Quote:
True as we have no idea when the tire actually went down. Since I was out front and the F450 doesn't flinch much pulling this RV, the tire could have gone flat earlier.
You are fortunate that you were out front. If the tire exploded, you could have been hit or wrecked hitting/dodging debris. As far as the F-450, it would pull with all 4 flat .
Old 06-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post

X2????
Yeah- I thought I talked about this before. I asked for them to be balanced, they talked me out of it due to the amount of weight it would need. I didn't know about asking them to break the bead and rotate them at the time. Then we got busy with son's first birthday and then the camper went to the dealer for warranty work and now we leave for a trip next. After this trip I'll take the wheels + tires off and take them to another tire shop to get balanced before we head out again.