Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Medina, TX (Hill Country)
Posts: 15
Pushed My Luck (Duro Tires)



Luckily we were only 2.5 miles from home doing 45mph on a country road. Cool, rainy day. Spyder loaded only. Tires were checked before leaving home the day before (63lbs in all 4) saw no obvious problems upon visual inspection. Was pushing my luck with the tires as they all had early to mid 2009 DOT dates. Total trip was 120 miles round trip at speeds never exceeding 60mph. Wife was driving the truck and I was on my other motorcycle out front and neither of us saw anything until we started to park the toyhauler at home.

Damage was only cosmetic, basically what you can see in the picture. Some insulation will have to repaired underneath.. all in all, not bad.

Tires have been replaced (including the spare) with 10ply Maxxis all with a DOT date of early 2013. Didn't want to replace the rims (which are rated for the new tires) and go up to 16s so the "E" rated Maxxis seemed a good solution imho.

So if you have Duros and haven't had one (or more) explode, be careful out there.
__________________

__________________
Bill, Jennifer and Wilma

2010 XLR 25FKV
2010 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2013 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost, Max Tow
2010 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, 2013 Victory Cross Country
Gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: tampa
Posts: 126
i have been towing a good while (over 100k with another large trailer), and although D rated are "in spec" for the hfs27 hyperlite toyhauler i recently purchased, i'm not gonna chance it and have also decided on 10 ply E rated maxxis tires. Found some for $157 per tire shipped to my door.
__________________

__________________
melk-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
jonnys_walkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver Island
Posts: 267
Do you have an estimate of how many miles on the tires?

Thanks.
__________________
Never enough camping!!
jonnys_walkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybill View Post

Luckily we were only 2.5 miles from home doing 45mph on a country road. Cool, rainy day. Spyder loaded only. Tires were checked before leaving home the day before (63lbs in all 4) saw no obvious problems upon visual inspection. Was pushing my luck with the tires as they all had early to mid 2009 DOT dates. Total trip was 120 miles round trip at speeds never exceeding 60mph. Wife was driving the truck and I was on my other motorcycle out front and neither of us saw anything until we started to park the toyhauler at home.

Damage was only cosmetic, basically what you can see in the picture. Some insulation will have to repaired underneath.. all in all, not bad.

Tires have been replaced (including the spare) with 10ply Maxxis all with a DOT date of early 2013. Didn't want to replace the rims (which are rated for the new tires) and go up to 16s so the "E" rated Maxxis seemed a good solution imho.

So if you have Duros and haven't had one (or more) explode, be careful out there.
I feel for you on that one, been there-done that unfortunately, good luck with repair work!
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
lswartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 503
That could have been from running on a flat as well. What ever the cause, your picture is convincing to use good tires on any vehicle. Thanks for the picture.
__________________
2013 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2010 Toyota Tundra 4WD
lswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Medina, TX (Hill Country)
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
Do you have an estimate of how many miles on the tires?

Thanks.
I personally had only put about 1200 miles on them (short trips to the coast and MC rallies). But this toyhauler is a 2010 that I bought in later 2011 and it had been drug around to RV shows in TX so I really don't know actual mileage. The condition and depth of the tread did not suggest high mileage tho.
__________________
Bill, Jennifer and Wilma

2010 XLR 25FKV
2010 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2013 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost, Max Tow
2010 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, 2013 Victory Cross Country
Gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Medina, TX (Hill Country)
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
That could have been from running on a flat as well. What ever the cause, your picture is convincing to use good tires on any vehicle. Thanks for the picture.
True as we have no idea when the tire actually went down. Since I was out front and the F450 doesn't flinch much pulling this RV, the tire could have gone flat earlier.
__________________
Bill, Jennifer and Wilma

2010 XLR 25FKV
2010 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2013 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost, Max Tow
2010 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, 2013 Victory Cross Country
Gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Medina, TX (Hill Country)
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
I feel for you on that one, been there-done that unfortunately, good luck with repair work!
Thanks. I have gotten all the damaged pieces and parts removed (the fender and the panel behind the wheel). I have a friend that works at a custom coach facility that is going to be doing the repair. Nothing else was hurt except for a little insulation right behind the tire (underside of the floor). That can be replaced with either expanding foam or foam board insulation glued in and some waterproof fabric. I was lucky as the damage could have been a lot worse if this would have happened earlier when we were on the interstate.
__________________
Bill, Jennifer and Wilma

2010 XLR 25FKV
2010 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2013 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost, Max Tow
2010 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, 2013 Victory Cross Country
Gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Medina, TX (Hill Country)
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by melk-man View Post
i have been towing a good while (over 100k with another large trailer), and although D rated are "in spec" for the hfs27 hyperlite toyhauler i recently purchased, i'm not gonna chance it and have also decided on 10 ply E rated maxxis tires. Found some for $157 per tire shipped to my door.
I am hoping all the reports, reviews and information I have read about Maxxis is true and they do look well constructed. I got mine locally at a small independent store that does a high volume of work. He ordered the tires on Monday, had them on Tuesday and they were installed on Wednesday. Mounted, balanced, steel valve stems, tax out the door was pennies over $148. I was pleased as the local Discount Tire wanted $164 a tire plus mounting/stems/balance/tax.
__________________
Bill, Jennifer and Wilma

2010 XLR 25FKV
2010 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2013 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost, Max Tow
2010 Can-Am Spyder RT-S, 2013 Victory Cross Country
Gypsybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybill View Post

I am hoping all the reports, reviews and information I have read about Maxxis is true and they do look well constructed. I got mine locally at a small independent store that does a high volume of work. He ordered the tires on Monday, had them on Tuesday and they were installed on Wednesday. Mounted, balanced, steel valve stems, tax out the door was pennies over $148. I was pleased as the local Discount Tire wanted $164 a tire plus mounting/stems/balance/tax.
Holy crap that's a great price! My tires were $164 a tire shipped to me and the taken locally for mounting which costed extra (and balancing would have been even more).
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.