Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #1

Question Regarding Installing Generator in XLR 27HFS w/ Prep Pckg

I'm looking at purchasing a 27HFS and it comes with the generator prep from the factory. I'm wondering if the install of a generator is as easy as hooking up the lines and hitting the start button or if it's quite a bit more complicated than that. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

CD, I'm only repeating what I've heard, as I don't have a generator, but do have the prep package. The fuel lines, remote wiring and battery cable, even the battery cut off and transfer switch are all there; but if I was to buy a Onan4K, I would need to cut out the floor and door vent temporary coverings, and buy or fabricate a suitable exhaust system/pipe extension.

Have you considered how loud the on-board generator is? I use a Honda that I can sit on the ground away from the trailer; even in the truck bed, when I need it; even though you would need two 2K Honda's in tandem to run the AC. I certainly could not sleep with the Onan running 2 feet away from my head.

Also, a generator running with nearly no load is wasteful. Ample battery capacity and enough inverter for your needs is a better solution IMHO. A small generator running a few hours with a large capacity charger is also an option rather than solar panels to replentish. It all depends upon how you will use it and if you dry camp alot. It is only me, and I have thought of adding a very small AC unit in the garage that my Honda could run if I ever need it and just close the door and sleep in there.
WW

Old 01-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply WW. In my last toy hauler I had an onboard generator that I could turn on and off with the inside switch and I really liked that. I boondock exclusively in the winter and also had 6 solar panels on the last camper so I rarely needed to run the generator. Maybe I'll just do a Honda on this one along with four 6V Trojan batteries and use the Honda to keep those charged.

In the summer we full time in it but it's plugged in so I wouldn't need the generator come that time.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

CD, there is so many options.

I can get by with 600W Inverter PSW, but the 1000W with large charger (properly set up for the batteries) looks better. A portable charger would do it, but I like the idea of running it all from inside. I like the SC-2030 charger controller with the TC-2030 monitor for my needs with at least 3 - 100W (36 cell) panels maybe this year. The beauty of the Bogart contoller is that it is adjustable to perfection and American made (I think).

My little converter goes into float way, way to early and it would take many days to charge one battery. I have two 6 volt 230AH and will be adding two more, so I use a portable 50 amp pure charger to bring them up quicker (what a battery needs) and keep a 1 amp maintainer on it while parked at home.

These Onan gennys are excellent and would be nice to have, but I don't think I would use it. Jury is still out, however.
WW
Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
XLR Production

If you have gen prep then everything is there minus the gen and exhaust pipe as Wolfwhistle stated. The bottom floor in the gen area can be unscrewed and removed. The gen will now sit on the frame. The blank panel in the door would need to be removed to provide proper air flow. Hook up your wire, gas line and install the exhaust pipe and your ready to roll.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:12 PM   #6

You will also lose the storage space.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
You will also lose the storage space.

if you have any other generators . ie 2 hondas or what ever you still lose storage space gotta put them somewhere . i put mine in the truck so i can easily hook up while on the road like a rest area for the night and it keeps the noise down .
Old 01-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

We talk about how much noise the on board makes inside (at least it would on my little 29HFS) and moving it outside makes our abode more peaceful, but lets not forget about those we share the planet with and to many, hearing our generator constantly running is not being considerate. That is why I think an inverter with batteries is so nice, then you can run the generator during the day... that is unless you also go for a decent solar charger then no generator at all... or at least very rarely.
WW
Old 01-06-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
2014 XLR 27HFS

I have a 27HFS and purchased an Onan 4K to go into the prepped compartment. It runs the entire trailer, and then some. Hooked up to the 32 gallon tank under the garage, I believe you could run it non-stop for over a week. I occasionally think it was overkill, until I need it. Then it is worth every penny. You really do only need to cut out the floor, get an exhaust extension, and hook everything up. The hardest part was getting the 200 pound unit into the compartment.

For sound deadening, purchase what is used for autos (rubber on one side and aluminum on the other). Cover the entire compartment inside and out with this peel and stick stuff - works great. I think the brand I bought was called 'road kill'. Before doing it, look under the bed and find the gas lines. Mine were right up against the metal box - where the exhaust was - too hot! I managed to pull them a few inches away from the box, wrap them in layers of 'road kill' and fill in the area with high temp 'great stuff'.

Losing this storage space is not a big deal to me. It is a toy hauler. If you run out of storage, you are overweight. Speaking of weight, if you put a heavy toy in the garage, this unit will help with your weight distribution.

Why the Onan? because the interior wiring is all set up for one. Turn it in and off from inside the camper. Otherwise, you'd have to rewire, no thanks. Run it often, change the oil on schedule, and put Sta-Bil in the gas tank. It will run forever. Going on 2 years and not a single problem.

As for noise... I wouldn't want to try to sleep while it's running and my head is less than a foot over it, but you shouldn't sleep with it running anyway. Can you hear it inside? Yes. Is it terribly loud? No. You can hold a normal conversion inside. Outside, again not that loud. Walk 20 feet away and normal traffic is louder. I live next to a nursing home and their A/C unit is louder than my Onan under full load.

Here are some pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05 Remove Compartment Floor.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	97384   Click image for larger version

Name:	07 Soundproof Compartment.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	97385   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Installed.JPG